Craftsman 72-clone

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Craftsman 72-clone

Post by Reverand »

I don't recall where I got this knife from, but decided to give it a few minimum repairs.
It is a Craftsman 9494, and it was made by Schrade. I had assumed that Camillus made this for Sears, but when I took it apart it had Swinden-key construction!
The main blade had been tipped and reprofiled, and had been sharpened on a grinder (ouch!), but worst of all was that it had no snap at all.
I did not have a replacement blade marked with the "Craftsman" tang stamp, so I filled the hole and drilled a new one. This made the already shortened blade a little bit shorter, but that is okay. It now snaps like a bear trap, and is a user rather than a collector's piece anyway.
I got the pins to disappear today (hurray!). I will probably make a shield for it later, when I get some inspiration for exactly what I want. The only real flaw other than that worn main blade is the gap between the springs - but it had that before I took it apart.
Mark side
Mark side
Pile side
Pile side
Spring gap
Spring gap
Tang stamp
Tang stamp
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”