S&W MP18 difficult to open

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
techmech

S&W MP18 difficult to open

Post by techmech »

S&W MP18 is almost impossible to open with spring lock button. Is there a cure?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: S&W MP18 difficult to open

Post by Madmarco »

I can't help with your questions, Tech, cuz I'm not familiar with that knife, but I'd like to ::welcome:: you to AAPK while you wait for someone to answer them! ::handshake::
8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Might be gunked up, try a wd40 wash then blow it out with compressed air. Might work might not but it's worked for me many times. Cleans the crud out!
techmech

Post by techmech »

Thanks for the WD 40 and compressed air suggestion. Tried that but no luck. Knife is nearly new so not much gunk. Any other ideas?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Check with Bill Deshivs or Muskrat Man. Both members here who work on knife contraptions such as yours. They might be able to repair it for you.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

It sounds as if the sliding track inside your knife is binding as the blade comes out, perhaps try 1 or 2 drops of Quick release oil applied into the opening on the top end and let it drip down the inside tracks. It might help.
Good luck however it turns out.
8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Might try loosening the pivot screw if it has one. I'm not familiar with that model, hope you get it fixed.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

helendam wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:26 am The Smith & Wesson M&P 18 is a folding knife that features a spring-assisted locking mechanism. If you are having trouble opening the knife with the spring lock button, there are a few things you can try.backrooms game
First, make sure that the lock button is fully depressed before attempting to open the blade. Sometimes the button may not fully engage the locking mechanism if it is not pressed all the way down.
If the lock button is fully depressed and you are still having difficulty opening the blade, it may be due to excess dirt or debris in the mechanism. Try cleaning the knife with a soft brush or compressed air to remove any buildup that may be inhibiting the spring-assisted opening.
If neither of these solutions work, it is possible that the knife is defective and may need to be repaired or replaced. Contact Smith & Wesson customer service for assistance with troubleshooting or warranty information.
Good information, Helen, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake::
8)
8)

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”