Calling All Knife Mechanics

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Calling All Knife Mechanics

Post by bestgear »

I personally know some of the knife mechanics here on AAPK but not all of you, so in the interest of complete inclusion and transparency I’m posting this for everyone to see. I’ve recently started working part-time at the largest knife store in Delaware that has been in business since 1970. They are looking to establish a list of knife mechanics that they can share with a customer whenever the need for knife mechanic services arises.

The store will not be involved in the transaction as that will be between their customer and the knife mechanic directly; this will simply be a referral opportunity and an avenue for the customer to pursue if they so desire. We currently have about 10 inquiries a week for knife mechanic services that we turn away. ::facepalm::

If you have any interest in being added to the list that I’m assembling, please PM me your name and your best contact information (email, text, snail mail, website, AAPK, etc.) along with what services you’d be willing to perform (or conversely what you are not willing to perform). Once I have the list assembled, I will share it with everyone on it, again, in the interest of complete inclusion and transparency.

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration. ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Calling All Knife Mechanics

Post by edge213 »

bestgear wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:51 pm I personally know some of the knife mechanics here on AAPK but not all of you, so in the interest of complete inclusion and transparency I’m posting this for everyone to see. I’ve recently started working part-time at the largest knife store in Delaware that has been in business since 1970. They are looking to establish a list of knife mechanics that they can share with a customer whenever the need for knife mechanic services arises.

The store will not be involved in the transaction as that will be between their customer and the knife mechanic directly; this will simply be a referral opportunity and an avenue for the customer to pursue if they so desire. We currently have about 10 inquiries a week for knife mechanic services that we turn away. ::facepalm::

If you have any interest in being added to the list that I’m assembling, please PM me your name and your best contact information (email, text, snail mail, website, AAPK, etc.) along with what services you’d be willing to perform (or conversely what you are not willing to perform). Once I have the list assembled, I will share it with everyone on it, again, in the interest of complete inclusion and transparency.

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration. ::handshake::
Tom, I think it would be great to have that list posted permanently on AAPK also.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

edge213 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:58 pm I think it would be great to have that list posted permanently on AAPK also.
I concur David - my hope is to initially gather a list of those interested in participating first and see what their individual boundaries are such as work they can't do, the volume of work they are looking for, and determine how private or public they want their name and contact information to be shared.

Part of the challenge today in publishing such information publicly on AAPK is that it's open for the world to see. This is why you complete a form to email a member without knowing their full email address so that it remains anonymous. We are on the same page though ::tu::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great idea Tom! ::tu::
I often receive inquiries about knife repairs, simply because I have posted so much for so many years on the topic I guess. With my wife's health as it is now, I'm not taking new repairs, so it would be helpful to have a list to refer people to.

If I may make a suggestion for your list;
It might be helpful if you set it up so that the knife mechanic can temporarily suspend his availability. When I was doing a lot of repairs I would get back logged and really not want to take anymore repairs in for a period of time. Also health for some of us older guys is an issue. Being able to remove one's name from the list temporarily might be helpful for some of us.

Just a thought for your consideration.
Keep up the good work Tom! ::handshake::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Here I am.
Unfortunately, many potential customers assume we have parts available and can just magically install them for $15 or so.
I hand make 95% of the parts I use. My labor rate is high, but I generally don't charge for materials.
Unless a knife is valuable, or has sentimental value-it's not economically feasible to have me repair it.
I do honest, excellent work.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
catspa

Post by catspa »

Dear Bill:
At the present, I can afford 6.5 minutes of your magical installation time. Please apply it to fixing this knife and return it.

Hopefully, next year my fortunes will improve, and I’ll send it back for a 13 or even 23 minute repair.

Thank you kindly,

Parker

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”