The Rebirth of a Unicorn

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
JonTerry

The Rebirth of a Unicorn

Post by JonTerry »

Hi Guys,

My gradual steps into the restoration world naturally lead me to attempt to restore my childhood dream knife the Schrade LB8, and after acquiring a bunch of information through research and kind advice from members here I decided to give it a bash. It took me best part of a year to assemble all the parts needed to do this and several times I have bought an LB8 and when I received it in the mail they were just in such great condition I could not even consider them as a potential EDC, so they remain in my collection as historic gems to be treasured.
I even bought a bunch of Schrade Blades hoping that there would be some LB8/7 blades that I could at least use to restore an old LB7 I had to practice on, but nope ever other kind of blade made by Schrade but no LB8's, however there was a bunch of LB9 blades in the pack.

After Posting on this site that I wanted some LB8 or 7 blades eventually some members took pity on me and recently I have acquired several LB8 blades of various Pivot Hole sizes and Notch Placements. Also, in a bunch of knives I got from a member here was a busted up LB8, well past it's life with a shot to pieces blade.
So yesterday with the usual British April Showers making an inside activity day for me, I plucked up the Courage and got to work.
As Usual I now wish I took more photos of just how busted up this knife was before I started but I can say with my hand on my heart it was a real mess, but in my puppy like eagerness I just get stuck in and when things start to go well I think best take a pic of that lol.

Now my knowledge of the LB range is by far not as large as many of you guys and I only knew that the Pivot hole sizes can vary, requiring a shim on some, so I was sure with the bunch of new old stock and a couple of used Lb8 Blades I would find a fit ?............nope not one of them fitted without a lot of play, it was chicken and egg, either up and down play or forward and back from the locking notch, so when I lined up the blades together with the damaged blade I removed I noticed 3 different notch sizes in width or depth of the notches. Leading me to ponder upon risking drilling a 3 /16th hole through the bolsters in an attempt to lift the blades pivot position and using larger pin stock ???
I Chickened out of this and went to get one of the NOS LB9 Blades I have.............Hey Presto !!!Perfect !!!!
Ok This made me wonder if the LB8 I had in my possession was indeed an old LB9 with a very wobbly and worn out LB8 blade put into it as a replacement ?? This may explain why the blade I was replacing was so loose, but I just don’t know, clues that may help a pro reading this are the facts already mentioned and the fact that there are no Serial numbers on the bolsters ?? But I guess this could mean either an early LB8 or very Late LB8, I would lean towards that later as the blade had the Uncle Henry Tang Stamps.

Anyway without further ado I would like to show some photos to you guys of how it turned out, I have a few of the process but really wish I took more.

I would like to thank the following members for their support and generosity by sharing their knowledge, helping me source parts required and for making the Atlantic truly feel as small as a pond.

Just Bob: For many hours of trading, searching and patience helping me on my knife journey (he can confirm how shot this knife was ha !!!)
Muskratman: For helping me with blades and very generous advice.
Jeffinn: For getting me a Blade with Shims, and very good advice (Also a big thank you in public for the best Barlow I have ever owned, and a transaction I would NEVER recommend, what a Gentleman this guy is)

Orvet: For taking the time to write a step by step guide on replacing a LB7 Blade with every pitfall that you may come across in the process.

I love this site and the people here, the kindest, encouragement and damn straight honesty make this a community that I feel proud to be accepted into.

Oh yeah the photos, here we go, I wil try to get them posted in some kinda order, if not you’re all pros and can work it out

Cheers

JT
Attachments
;b921 - Copy.jpg
lb91 - Copy.jpg
lb93 - Copy.jpg
lb97 - Copy.jpg
lb98 - Copy.jpg
lb96.jpg
lb911.jpg
lb912.jpg
lb913.jpg
lb915.jpg
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
JonTerry

Re: The Rebirth of a Unicorn

Post by JonTerry »

More
Attachments
lb918.jpg
lb920.jpg
lb922.jpg
lb923.jpg
lb924.jpg
lb925.jpg
lb926.jpg
lb927.jpg
lb928.jpg
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Ok So steps I took.

Removed pivot pin
Found a blade that worked.
Cleaned up Liners, bolsters etc with big tools as the dents and scratched were very deep and many.
Fitted blade with new Nickel Pin Stock and Peened, using 0.05 feeler gauges as shims on each side of the blade then sanded flush.
Began a Sanding and polishing process on the Belt Grinder, this gets hot...
Sent a little time cleaning and oiling to get good snap on blade in both directions.

Then Started to put the edge on the NOS Blade.
I did this all with my precision adjust as after all the hard work I did not want to risk a slip on the belt sander or even with my Worksharp (Ken Onion Style)
So I started to remove the stock with 220 grit stone then worked through 320,400,600,800, Ceramic and finally leather strop to get the edge which I decided to set at 25 degrees, mainly because after all this work I actually wanted to see the finished product and bevel ;)

The Polishing could be improved but I may do this at a later date, but over all I am happy with the end result, it locks up tight with very little wobble, I guess I could tweak this tighter but really if I bought this knife as is I would be happy with the amount of play, it really is very slight.
Attachments
lb929.jpg
lb930.jpg
lb931.jpg
lb932.jpg
lb933.jpg
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Nice job JT, it’s looks great!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Great work. Wish i had that skill level.
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by centennialknives »

Great work! Lot of time & effort -- as mentioned, wish I was there in terms of doing this, but I'm not!
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Turned out very nice. ::tu::

If you like folding guthooks, here's his little brother for $25. https://www.ebay.com/itm/394389408172
Not my knife, FYI.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

If the proof is in the pudding, you did 👍
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:30 pm Turned out very nice. ::tu::

If you like folding guthooks, here's his little brother for $25. https://www.ebay.com/itm/394389408172
Not my knife, FYI.
I would love it but as I'm in the UK I cannot buy it through ebay .........damn !!!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Looks great!!!
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

thanks for all the comments guys, and truly I think you could all do this, I have not even got a workshop set up, most of this work is done in the kitchen, or garden.

Now does anybody have a drop point blade up for grabs for a LB7 ???

Cheers

JT
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

JonTerry wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:46 pm
1967redrider wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:30 pm Turned out very nice. ::tu::

Not my knife, FYI.
I would love it but as I'm in the UK I cannot buy it through ebay .........damn !!!

There's always a work-around idiotic laws, great job. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”