Advice Needed: Smith and Wesson Folder Repair

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Goblin_Girl

Advice Needed: Smith and Wesson Folder Repair

Post by Goblin_Girl »

My late father owned a Smith and Wesson folder, and it has been passed down to me. Unfortunately, it is in poor condition and missing some parts. Normally, I would never bother trying to restore a folder in this price range, however this one happens to have significant emotional worth to me. I find myself at a loss of where to begin, as my collection and fascination has always revolved around fixed blade knives, so any assistance or guidance would be tremendously appreciated.

It is a Taylor Cutlery Framelock Tanto, First Production Run by Morgan Taylor, Homeland Security in 440 Stainless. The primary need for repair is a missing pivot/pin, but I imagine it is missing the associated hardware such as any washers, screws, or gaskets needed as well. Pictures and additional information can be provided if needed
Bill DeShivs

Re: Advice Needed: Smith and Wesson Folder Repair

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your best bet on something like this is to find a complete knife on Ebay and use it for parts.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK, G-Girl! ::handshake::
I can't help with your questions, but Bill DeShivs is usually right-on with his advise.
Pictures are ALWAYS helpful, plus we LOVE pictures here at AAPK!
8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Instructions for posting pictures can be found here: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... m.php?f=98

Unfortunately the knife you’re wanting to restore isn’t very common. It is unlikely a knife repair “mechanic” will have parts for it. I’m guessing that’s why a cutler like Bill recommends finding a donor knife for parts. Good luck with restoring it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Goblin_Girl

Post by Goblin_Girl »

It took a bit of searching, but I was able to order an identical parts knife for pretty inexpensive. I will also attempt to post pictures once I'm able to revive the folder, as some semblance of reward for the guidance you all have offered! It may have been a simple solution, I had found myself unable to commit to any route forward without expert advice from folks such as yourselves.
Many thanks and well-wishes,
~Goblin_Girl~

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”