Pin size

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
miked32
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Pin size

Post by miked32 »

What size pin would I need to order to repin a bolster pin on a 1976 case xx 6488?
Thanks I’m advance.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pin size

Post by herbva »

Sometimes knife manufacturers change the pin size used in a particular pattern, so you can't tell for sure just based on the pattern knife you have. When you have the knife apart (or the worn or broken pin removed) test the holes in the bolsters with pin stock or drill bits. The pin stock to use should be the largest size that fits in the holes. I'm guessing that the pin stock to use for your 6488 will be one of the standard sizes, like 5/64", or maybe 3/32", but you can't be sure without checking the size of the bolster holes as I mentioned above.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You can turn oversize stock down to size by chucking it in a drill and filing it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
miked32
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by miked32 »

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it.
miked32
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by miked32 »

Would something like that work for a pin if it was the correct size. Or is it just the wrong kind of steel all together?
Attachments
IMG_5929.png
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Some knives had steel pins but many have a nickel silver pin, which is a lot easier to peen and polish. Check out Jantz Supply.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

The bolsters on that knife are nickel silver. You can use steel pins if you want to, and they will function just fine, but the pin heads will show as a different color in the bolsters when you are done.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

miked32 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:39 am Would something like that work for a pin if it was the correct size. Or is it just the wrong kind of steel all together?
Spring clips like that shown have to be hardened somewhat to work correctly. Probably would be too hard to peen.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:10 pm
miked32 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:39 am Would something like that work for a pin if it was the correct size. Or is it just the wrong kind of steel all together?
Spring clips like that shown have to be hardened somewhat to work correctly. Probably would be too hard to peen.
My thoughts exactly.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Also the correct size pin cant be bought for Case knives. They use gauged pins (not for sale) anywhere I could ever find. I spoke with the Model Maker at Case and he told me about the sizes.
You can get fraction sized pins that are very close to the gauged size and withh work fine. Except for the 12 gauge pins that is used on larger knives you have to turn n them down to size.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”