Blade 'crinking'

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
bearblade

Blade 'crinking'

Post by bearblade »

Well, I'm brand new to the club, this is my first entry. I have ordered knives on the net, styles I feel good holding, but on some of my folders, they have been 'crinked' wrong so they leave scratches from blade to blade. As stated, I love to hold them so I don't want to get rid of them, but I wonder, can I vise them and try to bend them minutely, but I suspect it can't be that easy, nothing ever is. All input appreciated in advance, help please!?!

I'm Wes, or 'Bear', look forward to your replies.
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Blade 'crinking'

Post by jonet143 »

welcome wes! re-crinking the blades is very chancy with a finished blade. they can break very easilly. crinking is done with a hammer. the vise might cause the blade to snap. good luck.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Hi Wes, as Jhonnie already stated, krinking tempered blades is a gamble, I have crinked many american made knives without problem using both a vice and a hammer. GBut german made knives like boker, buck creek, german eye, bulldog, ect I would never try becuase they are tempered much too hard and will definately snap. If you try and you use a vice put the entire blade in the vice all the wya up to the front of the plunge lines and crink right at the tang be sure to pad the vice jaws with wood or leather so you don't marr the blade. Also it's a good idea to use smooth jawed needle nose vice grips on the tang and use those as your lever instead of the handle, becuase if you use the knife's handle you taking a big chance of screwing up the pivot.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

bearblade wrote:I have ordered knives on the net, styles I feel good holding, but on some of my folders, they have been 'crinked' wrong so they leave scratches from blade to blade.
::welcome::

I've experienced the same thing a few times, even on a Swiss knife - a Wenger. On one knife I remember ending up with a loose blade when I tried to correct the problem. Probably just me and my ten thumbs :oops:, but be careful! :)
Knivlaus mann er livlaus mann.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man - Old Nordic proverb.
bearblade

Post by bearblade »

A heartfelt thanx to all, and I will use all caution and let y'all know how it pans out, but being a world class procrastinator...

Wes
Fred Csiky

Post by Fred Csiky »

In regard to the question of crinking folding knife blades. When I worked for schrade-walden we used to call it blade setting. We had two piles the pile that broke and the pile that didn't. If you are a knife collector or owner and need to decide whether to crink or not to crink here is the test to give your knife. Take a piece of notebook paper and slide it between the blade or the scale and the to blade that you think are too close, if the paper slides without touching the blades when it is closed you do not need to set the blade. If the paper does touch when you slide it between the blades or scales,do the same thing! Nothing. We all must learn to live with imperfections. I was discussing the blade centering subject with Bill Howard of Great Eastern cutlery and he said when the blade isn't centered it means nothing. Your wife isn't perfect either just love your knife like you love your wife, they will both still cut the mustard.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Fred Csiky wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:15 pm In regard to the question of crinking folding knife blades. When I worked for schrade-walden we used to call it blade setting. We had two piles the pile that broke and the pile that didn't. If you are a knife collector or owner and need to decide whether to crink or not to crink here is the test to give your knife. Take a piece of notebook paper and slide it between the blade or the scale and the to blade that you think are too close, if the paper slides without touching the blades when it is closed you do not need to set the blade. If the paper does touch when you slide it between the blades or scales,do the same thing! Nothing. We all must learn to live with imperfections. I was discussing the blade centering subject with Bill Howard of Great Eastern cutlery and he said when the blade isn't centered it means nothing. Your wife isn't perfect either just love your knife like you love your wife, they will both still cut the mustard.

Fred; thanks for posting and welcome to AAPK! ::tu:: ::ds::

We here at AAPK have great respect for those who actually worked at the factories that made our favorite knives, and we love to hear your stories and gain knowledge from your experience.

Pardon my ignorance, but I assume that all crinking was done after the knife was assembled? And also, were the blade tangs annealed after hardening/tempering so that the softer tang would enable a slight bend when crinked?

I have another question related to knives like stockman patterns, where two small blades shared the common backspring - were the blade surfaces asymmetrically (or offset) ground, so that the two "mating" sides, say one side of a sheepfoot and one side of a spay blade would fall past each other more readily without interference?
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Fred Csiky wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:15 pm In regard to the question of crinking folding knife blades. When I worked for schrade-walden we used to call it blade setting. We had two piles the pile that broke and the pile that didn't. If you are a knife collector or owner and need to decide whether to crink or not to crink here is the test to give your knife. Take a piece of notebook paper and slide it between the blade or the scale and the to blade that you think are too close, if the paper slides without touching the blades when it is closed you do not need to set the blade. If the paper does touch when you slide it between the blades or scales,do the same thing! Nothing. We all must learn to live with imperfections. I was discussing the blade centering subject with Bill Howard of Great Eastern cutlery and he said when the blade isn't centered it means nothing. Your wife isn't perfect either just love your knife like you love your wife, they will both still cut the mustard.
Fred, you make an awful lot of sense!
I agree with your line of thinking.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:14 am
Fred, you make an awful lot of sense!
I agree with your line of thinking.
Here here!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
just bob

Post by just bob »

I don't disagree with anything that has been said thus far. I know there is a really good video on this subject somewhere on here. but can't find it. Here is a page on this subject from another site including a video on crinking a blade. I have tried this before and had some success with it. Do not try the bending with pliers method. It has never worked for me.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fix ... g.1702597/
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

HI Fred, and welcome. Below is a link to one of the threads on AAPK regarding crinking. I agree with everything that has been said. I have mostly had success with crinking, when it was absolutely necessary. However, I have broken some blades too. Use the setup in the diagram and use a lot of light taps. Quit when you have achieved the objective, i.e. blades are no longer rubbing. Every time I have broken a blade, it was on that one last tap to get it perfect. Quit when you are ahead!!!! :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64795&p=777538&hili ... ng#p777539
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I understand why folks would say that the blade rubbing is not important. On the other hand, if a man buys a knife, he might want it to be made correctly. If something bothers a customer, then it does mean something.

Blade rubbing does not bother me. Nor does a blade that sits a bit off center in the blade well. What I hate is a blade that is not straight when open. If I sight down the blade well and the blade skews off to one side or the other, then I will not carry it: the knife is consigned to a display or drawer. I have plenty of knives that are straight, so why would I want to carry a knife that annoys me? I can see why someone might feel the same way about the rubbing.
Mel

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”