How to Dye?

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
MadTrapper

How to Dye?

Postby MadTrapper » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:38 pm

I posted this also in the Knife Restoration thread but perhaps it more appropriately belongs here.

I have a Case Saddlehorn in Antique Bone. I want to wipe on some yellow oxide dye to add some color. It appears that there's a clear coat of some sort on the existing bone scales, but I'm not completely certain. Any advise on how or if I can do this? Thanks much.
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless

KleenCut61
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How to Dye?

Postby KleenCut61 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 am

I Have Read Some Horror stories of Guy's Dropping There Knives In 200 Degree Pot of Dye , Only to Realizing the Aftermath on there knife from the salt content of the dye ! ::facepalm:: With satisfactory Results in the color , Not My Cup of Tea ! Other Than Dis- assembly ,I No Of No Practical means of doing it ! Tuff Decision on your Part , good Luck With Your Endeavor . K.C.

Ivoryman

Postby Ivoryman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:12 am

I've dyed many times. No horror stories, just success. I use a cue-tip and put little bit on at a time, dab here or there, or paint it on. Remove shortly for less penetration and lighter color. Let it sit on there or even dry to get deeper, richer, color. Fun mod you can do at home. Rit dye, leather dye for sure. Don't know about others. No hot water day or boiling dye for me. For what it's worth.
Top pic top knife is a Case Mini Copperhead Amber bone before dying. then below after dying. Same with before and after on the GEC 74 Mustang.
Attachments
WP_20150113_15_26_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20180317_001.jpg
WP_20170814_017.jpg
WP_20170821_033.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

MadTrapper

Postby MadTrapper » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:05 am

Thanks for the info guys. Some nice results there Ivoryman!
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless

geocash

Postby geocash » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Ivoryman wrote:I've dyed many times. No horror stories, just success. I use a cue-tip and put little bit on at a time, dab here or there, or paint it on. Remove shortly for less penetration and lighter color. Let it sit on there or even dry to get deeper, richer, color. Fun mod you can do at home. Rit dye, leather dye for sure. Don't know about others. No hot water day or boiling dye for me. For what it's worth.
Top pic top knife is a Case Mini Copperhead Amber bone before dying. then below after dying. Same with before and after on the GEC 74 Mustang.

Man, those look great! It's also very affordable, fast & I bet it's within my rather narrow range of skills. Thanks.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby doglegg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Ivoryman wrote:I've dyed many times. No horror stories, just success. I use a cue-tip and put little bit on at a time, dab here or there, or paint it on. Remove shortly for less penetration and lighter color. Let it sit on there or even dry to get deeper, richer, color. Fun mod you can do at home. Rit dye, leather dye for sure. Don't know about others. No hot water day or boiling dye for me. For what it's worth.

Knives to dye for Iman! :lol:

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”