File work

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
WolfCheese

File work

Post by WolfCheese »

Can someone please tell me how to do that fancy filework on the spine of the knife? :? I just can't seem to figure it out :cry:
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: File work

Post by orvet »

You can buy some pieces of mild steel about the width of the springs you wish to work on. 1/4" X 1/2" steel strap is pretty inexpensive. Then buy the best files you can find and practice, practice, practice.
Or you can buy some old knives and practice on them. This is how I learned but is not the cheapest way to do it.

Also take the time to lay out your work on the stpck you are filing, it REALLY helps to keep you consistent.

There are also tutorial DVDs available from some suppliers.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
severecase

Post by severecase »

Hello Orvet,
Can you tell me anything about these fileworked peanuts. I received them as a gift many years. I believe they were bought from Smoky Mountain Knife Works. I know the pics are lousey ::paranoid::

Mike
Attachments
P9140094.JPG
P9140095.JPG
Mike

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there"---Will Rogers
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

buy the best files you can find and practice, practice, practice
This right here. That's how I learned (am learning...it's a never ending process)
Luckypaul777

Post by Luckypaul777 »

Mike; nice knives :mrgreen: ::tu:: ::tu:: don't see many with file-work on both sides of the springs. Probably some that SMKW got from a collection they bought; that the seller had customized. I had a Jim Sargent pearl razor; that had been customized like those. :) All nice but really like the one with abalone scales. ::ds::

Paul
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Heres a couple o COONS i recently recieved. Ive never been a filework-fan till these lil darlins got to TX. Note the congress has filework on BOTH sides of the spring. The lockblade hunter even filed on the END of the bolster.

enjoy and regards... Dave
Attachments
filework 001.JPG
filework 002.JPG
filework 003.JPG
filework 004.JPG
filework 005.JPG

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”