A new tool in my shop

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A new tool in my shop

Post by orvet »

I got a new tool in my shop this weekend. ::ds::
Actually it arrived Friday, but I didn't get it setup and put to use until Saturday.
Foredom drill press a.jpg
The tool is a Foredom drill press. A #40 hand piece clamps into the holder and that is what does the cutting.
I have used it so far once to inlet a shield into a micarta handle.
The last one I did without the drill press took me about 3 hours to get right. I did the last one with the Foredom held by hand. Doing it that way you have to be very careful; one little slip and you are replacing the handle.
Foredom drill press b.jpg
The Foredom drill press made the job much easier and faster; about 30 minutes and that was the first time I had used the drill press, I was learning how to use it as well as inletting the shield.

IMO, it was well worth the money for the Foredom drill press. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: A new tool in my shop

Post by royal0014 »

Purty sweet ::tu::

Tools and tool accessories are like knives; the more the better....

.... and scissors too, apparently
:lol:

Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Scissors...LOL!

Nice drill press!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice tool, Dale. That looks like a very clean work space ??????????????
Joe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

FRJ wrote:Nice tool, Dale. That looks like a very clean work space ??????????????
That is because I had just cleaned if off as I could not find something I needed.
When I have 2 or 3 projects going at one time and tools scattered all over the bench, sometimes I have to stop and clean if off so I can find the tool or part I am looking for. ::dang::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

So it's not just me.
I just cleaned my bench to make it presentable because a local knife enthusiast is comeing over at some time for show and tell.
Joe
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Very cool Dale! They're quite handy. I picked up one of these from Huck back when he was selling a bunch of his stuff. I used it to relieve the the liners around the pivot on my first two folders using a 1/8" mill end. Slow and steady...............
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Gary.
I use it in inlaying shields into handles, it works great to get good crisp edges.

I found another tool I think will be quite useful with a metal cutting disc on it; a Rotozip I picked up at an estate sale for $25.
The Rotozip has more torque and RPMs than a Dremel or a Foredom. As a cutting tool it should cut pins, bar stock, tubing and even steel for blades much faster than a bandsaw, and without metal shavings in my bandsaw.
Attachments
Rotozip a.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have a similar tool I used with special bits to cut out pegboard that was laid overtop of convenience outlet boxes. I bought it nine years ago and don't remember using it since. Never considered using it with a cutoff disk since I have a Dremal I use for that. I guess I'm being Mr. Linear Thinker. :)

Stock picture. Give me a break. I'm not going out to the garage to take a picture at 0330. :mrgreen:
Attachments
DeWalt Cutout Tool.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very cool Dale! I'm the least handy person in the world. But I still like having all the tools I can get my hands on just so I ca on make a good mess when the need arises! Gotta keep,the experts in business ya know.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Those are great additions to your arsenal, Dale!! Congrats!! ::tu::
I have an old Thor Brand drill press stand (the kind you mount a hand drill into) that I've always wanted to convert to some sort of tool. I'd thought possibly of trying to mount a rotary tool into it, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'm feeling a bit more inspired right now. (and a bit envious :mrgreen: )

WB
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

::hmm:: Good idea Rob!
Maybe I can make a drill press for the Rotozip, though I cannot imagine needing a drill press with such high RPMs.
I used the Rotozip with a brass wire brush used with the Dremel tool; the Rotozip turned so fast it through all the bristles out of the brush in about 10 seconds! :shock:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Yikes, duck and cover!! ::oh_my::

Yes sir, variable speed is always a plus. ::nod::

WB
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Thanks Dale, I'll be sure to try it out on shields when I get back to making folders. I need to take a lesson or two.......it'll sure shorten the learning curve.
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

I have an old Dremel 210 drill press that I'm thinking about using for inlay inletting for some knives. I haven't used it in a few years, lastly being employed to make doll house furniture for my daughters when they were younger. Seeing the Foredom made me think of it. The 210 raises the piece into the tool, instead of lowering the tool into the piece to be gut or drilled. With a few alterations, I think I may be able to make it work.

BTW...sorry about digging up an old thread.
Jon
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Stringplucker wrote: BTW...sorry about digging up an old thread.
No problem about the old thread resurrection!
If we can learn something so much the better, and I just learned about the Dremel 210.

I like the idea of raising the work into the tool.
I would like to see how that works... I might be able to adapt the concept and use it with my Foredom.
Can you post a pictrue of the 210?

Thanks! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

"A good tool enlarges your heart, extends your will." From the Gerber catalog.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Garry, do you know which Gerber catalog that was?
I have been assembling a bunch of Gerber catalogs, but haven't seen that quote.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It is from the online catalog at their web site on the introductory page. Don't know if you can get a printed version; possibly down load, but you probably want whatever printed catalog they issue.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

orvet wrote:
Stringplucker wrote: BTW...sorry about digging up an old thread.
No problem about the old thread resurrection!
If we can learn something so much the better, and I just learned about the Dremel 210.

I like the idea of raising the work into the tool.
I would like to see how that works... I might be able to adapt the concept and use it with my Foredom.
Can you post a pictrue of the 210?

Thanks! ::tu::
Dale, the 210 is obsolete, replaced by the 220 which does not have the table raising feature. The 220 works like a conventional drill press. (I looked for a 210 video on YouTube without success) However, that said, the 210 appears to be available on eBay like everything else in this world. I found this instruction sheet which shows how the 210 functions. I remember these from several (a lot of) years back and they actually worked pretty well. Nothing fancy but functional.
Attachments
1492107087.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Jerry!
I think I could adapt one of those to use with a Foredom hand piece. The rising table feature might be quite helpful in certain applications. With shipping there running around $35 on eBay right now and there were several there. I will be watching...

Semper Fi!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

I can get additional photos of mine tomorrow morning. I'll also take a few measurements, too...such as table size, upright dimensions, and the like. I picked mine up at a garage sale, with single speed Dremel and a box loaded with pieces and wheels, for $10 sometime in the past 7 years. I like how the table comes up into the wheel, and locks at any height you want within it's limits. It's fairly versatile for what it is. With a few custom additions, repeatability on cut depths should be no problem.

If you get it from Ebay, make sure all the parts come with it. Mine requires the squared nose piece, like that which came with the much older Dremels, before they started flaring them out. You can unscrew the new style off and screw on the newer style. Not all Dremels fit it, though. The newer Dremel with blue switch doesn't fit, but the older with orange switch will. Luckily, I've got 6 Dremels, with two of them being older single speeds that fit it perfectly.

Jerry posted the right photo of what I have. I'll post more tomorrow morning when I make it down to the basement shop.

Years ago, I designed and built 10 vertical tool stands with precision elevated tables with X and Y axis travel for a customer. Each was built to mount a Dynabrade turbine pencil grinder (50,000 RPM) and had high precision X and Y axis tables. The customer used them for finework polishing and minute cutting of small parts they produced. They were basically bench top sized, high precision/high speed versions of a Bridgeport mill...just not as durable as a regular mill...cutting depth was in the 0.003 or lower range. At the time, I didn't think of making an additional one for my personal use...I was running a business, not filling my personal hobby shop. Now, I wish I had one of those, as the X-Y axis movement would come in real handy for small wire inlay or shield work. Replace the grinder for a heavier duty/lower RPM version grinder, and it would handle a slightly stouter cut and be perfect for custom handle work.
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Quick Steel wrote:"A good tool enlarges your heart, extends your will." From the Gerber catalog.
Only so long as you're able to use them...otherwise, your wife considers you a tool hoarder. LOL

I'm lucky to have a wife that understands the value of a good tool, and the tools I own. She's living under the roof those tools provided, and has moved across country twice because of those tools and what I was able to do with them. It's a rare woman today that understands that, and appreciates their value. I wish the youth of today was interested in learning their use and value, instead of video games and social media...
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Dale, as promised, here are the photos. overall height without grinder is roughly 12". Base dims are 5 X 7", the shaft the grinder mounts to is 7/8". The table is 4X4" with four 3/16 X 3/4" slots to mount things to, like fixtures or a fixture plate. The table has 7/8" or so travel with the knob operated cam, a little more if you lift it by hand. The cam is operated by a knob on the right, and locked in place with one on the left...under the work table. Construction is plastic, cast metal, and welded tube. It's not the sturdiest thing out there, but it's good for what I've used it for. I know I over-engineer things to be uber sturdy and last, unlike this stand...but it's not too bad.

I think if I were to use this for inletting, I'd mount it to a larger aluminum tooling plate with 4 stops for table height travel, ensuring the table is flat when it comes up. I'd also change the upright from tube to solid steel, and beef up the grinder clamps a bit. Set the depth of finish cut with the stops, turn on the grinder and raise up the work to the cutter and slip cut the pocket in two passes.

I think I'll do just that and see how it turns out. It will be after the surgery, so don't look for an update on the modifications for at least 4 months... ::paranoid::

BTW, only one grinder clamp is being used because sombody lost the finger nut for the top clamp.
Attachments
Right
Right
Center
Center
Left
Left
Grinder attachment
Grinder attachment
Grinder with necessary collar nut to fit the lower head clamp
Grinder with necessary collar nut to fit the lower head clamp
This photo was added to show the size and space it takes up on a workbench
This photo was added to show the size and space it takes up on a workbench
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Sorry the photos are sideways...they aren't like that in my files. If you click on the photos, they're upright and larger
Jon

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”