A new tool in my shop

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A new tool in my shop

Post by orvet »

Stringplucker wrote: BTW...sorry about digging up an old thread.
No problem about the old thread resurrection!
If we can learn something so much the better, and I just learned about the Dremel 210.

I like the idea of raising the work into the tool.
I would like to see how that works... I might be able to adapt the concept and use it with my Foredom.
Can you post a pictrue of the 210?

Thanks! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

"A good tool enlarges your heart, extends your will." From the Gerber catalog.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Garry, do you know which Gerber catalog that was?
I have been assembling a bunch of Gerber catalogs, but haven't seen that quote.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It is from the online catalog at their web site on the introductory page. Don't know if you can get a printed version; possibly down load, but you probably want whatever printed catalog they issue.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

orvet wrote:
Stringplucker wrote: BTW...sorry about digging up an old thread.
No problem about the old thread resurrection!
If we can learn something so much the better, and I just learned about the Dremel 210.

I like the idea of raising the work into the tool.
I would like to see how that works... I might be able to adapt the concept and use it with my Foredom.
Can you post a pictrue of the 210?

Thanks! ::tu::
Dale, the 210 is obsolete, replaced by the 220 which does not have the table raising feature. The 220 works like a conventional drill press. (I looked for a 210 video on YouTube without success) However, that said, the 210 appears to be available on eBay like everything else in this world. I found this instruction sheet which shows how the 210 functions. I remember these from several (a lot of) years back and they actually worked pretty well. Nothing fancy but functional.
Attachments
1492107087.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Jerry!
I think I could adapt one of those to use with a Foredom hand piece. The rising table feature might be quite helpful in certain applications. With shipping there running around $35 on eBay right now and there were several there. I will be watching...

Semper Fi!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

I can get additional photos of mine tomorrow morning. I'll also take a few measurements, too...such as table size, upright dimensions, and the like. I picked mine up at a garage sale, with single speed Dremel and a box loaded with pieces and wheels, for $10 sometime in the past 7 years. I like how the table comes up into the wheel, and locks at any height you want within it's limits. It's fairly versatile for what it is. With a few custom additions, repeatability on cut depths should be no problem.

If you get it from Ebay, make sure all the parts come with it. Mine requires the squared nose piece, like that which came with the much older Dremels, before they started flaring them out. You can unscrew the new style off and screw on the newer style. Not all Dremels fit it, though. The newer Dremel with blue switch doesn't fit, but the older with orange switch will. Luckily, I've got 6 Dremels, with two of them being older single speeds that fit it perfectly.

Jerry posted the right photo of what I have. I'll post more tomorrow morning when I make it down to the basement shop.

Years ago, I designed and built 10 vertical tool stands with precision elevated tables with X and Y axis travel for a customer. Each was built to mount a Dynabrade turbine pencil grinder (50,000 RPM) and had high precision X and Y axis tables. The customer used them for finework polishing and minute cutting of small parts they produced. They were basically bench top sized, high precision/high speed versions of a Bridgeport mill...just not as durable as a regular mill...cutting depth was in the 0.003 or lower range. At the time, I didn't think of making an additional one for my personal use...I was running a business, not filling my personal hobby shop. Now, I wish I had one of those, as the X-Y axis movement would come in real handy for small wire inlay or shield work. Replace the grinder for a heavier duty/lower RPM version grinder, and it would handle a slightly stouter cut and be perfect for custom handle work.
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Quick Steel wrote:"A good tool enlarges your heart, extends your will." From the Gerber catalog.
Only so long as you're able to use them...otherwise, your wife considers you a tool hoarder. LOL

I'm lucky to have a wife that understands the value of a good tool, and the tools I own. She's living under the roof those tools provided, and has moved across country twice because of those tools and what I was able to do with them. It's a rare woman today that understands that, and appreciates their value. I wish the youth of today was interested in learning their use and value, instead of video games and social media...
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Dale, as promised, here are the photos. overall height without grinder is roughly 12". Base dims are 5 X 7", the shaft the grinder mounts to is 7/8". The table is 4X4" with four 3/16 X 3/4" slots to mount things to, like fixtures or a fixture plate. The table has 7/8" or so travel with the knob operated cam, a little more if you lift it by hand. The cam is operated by a knob on the right, and locked in place with one on the left...under the work table. Construction is plastic, cast metal, and welded tube. It's not the sturdiest thing out there, but it's good for what I've used it for. I know I over-engineer things to be uber sturdy and last, unlike this stand...but it's not too bad.

I think if I were to use this for inletting, I'd mount it to a larger aluminum tooling plate with 4 stops for table height travel, ensuring the table is flat when it comes up. I'd also change the upright from tube to solid steel, and beef up the grinder clamps a bit. Set the depth of finish cut with the stops, turn on the grinder and raise up the work to the cutter and slip cut the pocket in two passes.

I think I'll do just that and see how it turns out. It will be after the surgery, so don't look for an update on the modifications for at least 4 months... ::paranoid::

BTW, only one grinder clamp is being used because sombody lost the finger nut for the top clamp.
Attachments
Right
Right
Center
Center
Left
Left
Grinder attachment
Grinder attachment
Grinder with necessary collar nut to fit the lower head clamp
Grinder with necessary collar nut to fit the lower head clamp
This photo was added to show the size and space it takes up on a workbench
This photo was added to show the size and space it takes up on a workbench
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Sorry the photos are sideways...they aren't like that in my files. If you click on the photos, they're upright and larger
Jon
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

No problem, here they are:
Attachments
20170504_114740.jpg
20170504_114747.jpg
20170504_114756.jpg
20170504_114805.jpg
20170504_114821.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

If I can find one at an inexpensive price I may pick it up and see if I can modify it to hold my Foredom.
I'm not sure if I want to invest all the time and money into modifying it, hopefully I can find one at a flea market and see if it looks like it could be modified.

Let us know before your surgery in the Upper Room Forum and we can keep you in our prayers! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Will do!
Jon

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”