Knife Polishing Removing Rust Pitting How To

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
MTHall720

Re: Knife Polishing Removing Rust Pitting How To

Post by MTHall720 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:54 pm

leggo wrote:Mothers
Blue Magic
SemiChrome
Turtle Wax red and the white compound.
If you've ever used any of those 5 metal polishes...how do they compare to Flitz ?
I've used all three on cars and bikes with good results.
I have found Mother's to be a good, general purpose polish, and use Flitz as the final step.

Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:16 pm

Thanks for the post and instructions Scott,

You have inspired me to find an old knife in dire need of a cleaning and trying my hand at it. Just one question. What do you use the pencil lead for?

WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Mark in PA wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:16 pm
Just one question. What do you use the pencil lead for?
Not Mark but the pencil lead is harder than the rust, softer than the blade, so it removes quite a bit of the rust without scratching the blade. Just “scribble” over the rust spots.
Greg

Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:28 pm

That makes sense. Thanks.

Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:29 pm

I'm curious. If you are going to clean up and do some refinishing work on an old knife with the intent re-sell it for a profit, should you make it as shinny as you can or leave the old patina? To me, it seems like one would want to make it look like it did when it was new.

Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:50 pm

I have a large fixed blade that was given to me years ago that I had left in my truck and discovered that it began to rust. It was a mistake to do that. I know. No name or tang stamp on the knife so I have no idea who made it. I was going to use this to experiment on. I had in mind to sand this down and make it as shinny as I could. I had already sanded it down with a 160 grit sand paper and steel wool just to get rid of the red rust. I was looking at the dark spots from the carbon steel and wondered how deep I would have to go to remove them. I thought I would use some white vinegar on it to see if it would touch the dark spots. I wiped it down with a paper towel soaked in white vinegar and didn't really notice anything. I then wrapped the paper towel around the blade and walked away for awhile and came back. I knew the vinegar would start to react to the blade but was surprised to see that it already had a dark patina to it. The more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I think I'm going to go back and sand some more of the rust out and try some of the vinegar again. I saw some forums where people will try different methods to put a design in the patina which I may try.

What are your thoughts?

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”