How to Dye?

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
MadTrapper

How to Dye?

Post by MadTrapper »

I posted this also in the Knife Restoration thread but perhaps it more appropriately belongs here.

I have a Case Saddlehorn in Antique Bone. I want to wipe on some yellow oxide dye to add some color. It appears that there's a clear coat of some sort on the existing bone scales, but I'm not completely certain. Any advise on how or if I can do this? Thanks much.
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
KleenCut61

Re: How to Dye?

Post by KleenCut61 »

I Have Read Some Horror stories of Guy's Dropping There Knives In 200 Degree Pot of Dye , Only to Realizing the Aftermath on there knife from the salt content of the dye ! ::facepalm:: With satisfactory Results in the color , Not My Cup of Tea ! Other Than Dis- assembly ,I No Of No Practical means of doing it ! Tuff Decision on your Part , good Luck With Your Endeavor . K.C.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

I've dyed many times. No horror stories, just success. I use a cue-tip and put little bit on at a time, dab here or there, or paint it on. Remove shortly for less penetration and lighter color. Let it sit on there or even dry to get deeper, richer, color. Fun mod you can do at home. Rit dye, leather dye for sure. Don't know about others. No hot water day or boiling dye for me. For what it's worth.
Top pic top knife is a Case Mini Copperhead Amber bone before dying. then below after dying. Same with before and after on the GEC 74 Mustang.
Attachments
WP_20150113_15_26_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20180317_001.jpg
WP_20170814_017.jpg
WP_20170821_033.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

Thanks for the info guys. Some nice results there Ivoryman!
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

Ivoryman wrote:I've dyed many times. No horror stories, just success. I use a cue-tip and put little bit on at a time, dab here or there, or paint it on. Remove shortly for less penetration and lighter color. Let it sit on there or even dry to get deeper, richer, color. Fun mod you can do at home. Rit dye, leather dye for sure. Don't know about others. No hot water day or boiling dye for me. For what it's worth.
Top pic top knife is a Case Mini Copperhead Amber bone before dying. then below after dying. Same with before and after on the GEC 74 Mustang.
Man, those look great! It's also very affordable, fast & I bet it's within my rather narrow range of skills. Thanks.
geocash
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ivoryman wrote:I've dyed many times. No horror stories, just success. I use a cue-tip and put little bit on at a time, dab here or there, or paint it on. Remove shortly for less penetration and lighter color. Let it sit on there or even dry to get deeper, richer, color. Fun mod you can do at home. Rit dye, leather dye for sure. Don't know about others. No hot water day or boiling dye for me. For what it's worth.
Knives to dye for Iman! :lol:
GardenGram

Post by GardenGram »

This is my workhorse. Case medium stockman in bone stag. It was a little to light for my liking so I made a stain out of walnut husks. I then submerged the knife in a half pint mason jar full of the stain for 2 days. I love the way it turned out. It's a great natural alternative to chemical stains.
Attachments
20210707_093102.jpg
20210707_093047.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very cool dying method!

Do you have a picture of what the covers looked like before you dyed them?

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

GardenGram wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:36 pm This is my workhorse. Case medium stockman in bone stag. It was a little to light for my liking so I made a stain out of walnut husks. I then submerged the knife in a half pint mason jar full of the stain for 2 days. I love the way it turned out. It's a great natural alternative to chemical stains.
Did you put any kind of clear sealer over the dye?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I have seen people use cold tea or coffee to dye light colored bone scales to a darker color.
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

Potassium permanganate will dye bone fairly well. I’ve found that gently heating the bone with a torch, heat gun or even a blow dryer will open the pores in the bone and allow the dye to penetrate a little deeper. You’ll first need to use a natural degreaser to remove any oils which otherwise prevent the bone from. Absorbing the dye. I’ve also used leather dyes with limited success.
KNFCOLLECTOR
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

knfcollector wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:41 am Potassium permanganate will dye bone fairly well. I’ve found that gently heating the bone with a torch, heat gun or even a blow dryer will open the pores in the bone and allow the dye to penetrate a little deeper. You’ll first need to use a natural degreaser to remove any oils which otherwise prevent the bone from. Absorbing the dye. I’ve also used leather dyes with limited success.
What do you use as a natural degreaser ? The degreaser i use i have no idea what's in it, does not say on the can, but i can assure you it sure ain't natural. ::woot::
GardenGram

Post by GardenGram »

Here it is when I first bought it 2 years ago. It seemed to lighten up with use. I didn't put any kind of clear on it. I also used my home made apple cider vinegar to degrease and prep for the walnut stain. I use it hard everyday with no caution and the stain has held up for the last 4 months or so.
Attachments
20190406_202033.jpg
20210707_093047.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Heck yeah....

That darker stain seems to bring out the "grain" of the bone. I like that darker look!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

cudgee wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:24 am
knfcollector wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:41 am Potassium permanganate will dye bone fairly well. I’ve found that gently heating the bone with a torch, heat gun or even a blow dryer will open the pores in the bone and allow the dye to penetrate a little deeper. You’ll first need to use a natural degreaser to remove any oils which otherwise prevent the bone from. Absorbing the dye. I’ve also used leather dyes with limited success.
What do you use as a natural degreaser ? The degreaser i use i have no idea what's in it, does not say on the can, but i can assure you it sure ain't natural. ::woot::
I usually use Grez off by spray nine.
KNFCOLLECTOR
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Those darker scales are much better than the original color!
As to some other comments, I have not tried it yet, but I have been reading that Borax is a good natural degreaser for bone.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”