NWG (No Weld Grinder) & Share YOUR setups also!

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

NWG (No Weld Grinder) & Share YOUR setups also!

Post by glennbad »

Seeing Dale's post about his Grizzly motivated me to "finish" my project. I think it was last year some time when I started building this. It's the No Weld Grinder, plans and most parts I bought through USA Knifemaker. I am sure I could have bought a grinder already made, but I wanted the experience of sourcing the materials, cutting, drilling, and building my own machine so I would see how it goes together and works.

I still have to make a tool rest, and I'm already seeing some mods I want to do to the grinder assemblies. My eventual plan is to take it all part and paint it, but for now, I'm pretty jazzed that it actually works! Here's a couple pics with different attachments.
Belt Grinder 2.jpg
Belt Grinder 3.jpg

Please share your setups, regardless of if it's like this, or a 1 x30, which I do use and have several (and still plan to use)
cudgee

Re: NWG (No Weld Grinder) & Share YOUR setups also!

Post by cudgee »

glennbad wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:37 am Seeing Dale's post about his Grizzly motivated me to "finish" my project. I think it was last year some time when I started building this. It's the No Weld Grinder, plans and most parts I bought through USA Knifemaker. I am sure I could have bought a grinder already made, but I wanted the experience of sourcing the materials, cutting, drilling, and building my own machine so I would see how it goes together and works.

I still have to make a tool rest, and I'm already seeing some mods I want to do to the grinder assemblies. My eventual plan is to take it all part and paint it, but for now, I'm pretty jazzed that it actually works! Here's a couple pics with different attachments.

Belt Grinder 2.jpg
Belt Grinder 3.jpg

Please share your setups, regardless of if it's like this, or a 1 x30, which I do use and have several (and still plan to use)
Like that you wanted to make what you wanted, not a factory model, which is a lot easier. As you say, you know now how it works and goes together, so if there is an issue or problem, you will know where to start looking for the problem. Well done, i'm impressed. 8) ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Awesome Glenn! I just got my welder set up and had intended on making a welded one. I may have to look at the no weld option to. Very nice!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That looks great Glenn! Nothing like knowing how it goes together so you can fix it or improve it. ::nod::
Is that a 10 inch contact wheel? That should do a nice job on hollow grinding blades! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
eveled

Post by eveled »

FABE3EA8-B069-4F59-9E24-4BD649FE5A0F.jpeg
Nice job on yours. Must have taken a long time.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Congratulations on a project well done Glenn!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

That turned out great Glenn!
I looked at those when I was in the market for a grinder but decided to buy one instead (I’m a handy person but patience isn’t always my strong point).
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Jeffinn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:33 pm (I’m a handy person but patience isn’t always my strong point).
Jeff
:lol: You just described me! ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

If I can salvage/buy used as many of the components as possible, I think a setup like this would work better, be just as affordable, and most definitely be sturdier than the Harbor Freight budget option for a vertical belt sander.

I guess the square pieces I'd need to look at a scrap dealer, and for the motor, I guess that may take a little more looking. I'd buy the wheels/pulleys new. There's a motor shop that tends to simply replace a lot of motors that have small, easily replaced parts like brushes (I know, they tried to charge us 5 grand to replace a feeder motor to an industrial welder we use on the farm, and after tearing the motor apart, it cost us $5 in brushes and a friend of the family took less than an hour to do the work), and I'm sure I could probably buy a cheap one of the right size from their scrap.
Mike1234

Post by Mike1234 »

Looks good.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

glennbad wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:37 am Seeing Dale's post about his Grizzly motivated me to "finish" my project. I think it was last year some time when I started building this. It's the No Weld Grinder, plans and most parts I bought through USA Knifemaker. I am sure I could have bought a grinder already made, but I wanted the experience of sourcing the materials, cutting, drilling, and building my own machine so I would see how it goes together and works.

Belt Grinder 2.jpg
Belt Grinder 3.jpg

Great looking unit that is ready for years of hard use.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Glenn, did you make the platen or did you buy and already made one?
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

eveled wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:58 am FABE3EA8-B069-4F59-9E24-4BD649FE5A0F.jpeg

Nice job on yours. Must have taken a long time.
Looks like yours will do the job as well!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Jeffinn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:33 pm That turned out great Glenn!
I looked at those when I was in the market for a grinder but decided to buy one instead (I’m a handy person but patience isn’t always my strong point).
Jeff
I don't have patience either. That's why I stopped working on it for quite some time.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:16 pm If I can salvage/buy used as many of the components as possible, I think a setup like this would work better, be just as affordable, and most definitely be sturdier than the Harbor Freight budget option for a vertical belt sander.

I guess the square pieces I'd need to look at a scrap dealer, and for the motor, I guess that may take a little more looking. I'd buy the wheels/pulleys new. There's a motor shop that tends to simply replace a lot of motors that have small, easily replaced parts like brushes (I know, they tried to charge us 5 grand to replace a feeder motor to an industrial welder we use on the farm, and after tearing the motor apart, it cost us $5 in brushes and a friend of the family took less than an hour to do the work), and I'm sure I could probably buy a cheap one of the right size from their scrap.
I have seen people using treadmill motors on these grinders
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:55 pm Glenn, did you make the platen or did you buy and already made one?
I made the platen following the plans. A lot of people use a glass plate on the face of their platen. We'll see, I just got this thing running!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

glennbad wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:42 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:55 pm Glenn, did you make the platen or did you buy and already made one?
I made the platen following the plans. A lot of people use a glass plate on the face of their platen. We'll see, I just got this thing running!
Excellent!

I like that you used a spring for the tension. I’ve seen them done with gas shocks too, but I like the idea of the spring better.

One more question, what motor did you pick?
Robert E. Lee
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:51 pm
glennbad wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:42 pm
Excellent!

I like that you used a spring for the tension. I’ve seen them done with gas shocks too, but I like the idea of the spring better.

One more question, what motor did you pick?
I used a Leeson farm motor, don't have the specs handy. I think it's a 2HP. Can be wired for 277 or 120v, if I remember correctly. I bought it through Northern. I didn't get a set up for a VFD, but the pulleys allow me to easily change to 3 different speeds. I've got a 4 pulley set also, if the 3 pulley isn't suitable.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

My Coote belt grinder is a 3 pulley setup and it works just fine. You should be all set.
Let us know how that custom built knife grinder works!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I hope to build something with it soon!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I've had this tool rest done a for a while, and have used it some already. It's a bit of a prototype, as I have a bunch of eyebolt turnscrews all over it for minor squaring up adjustments. All in all, I'm happy with it so far.

I'm hoping to give it some heavier use in the near future.
belt grinder 4.jpg
belt grinder 5.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I love the looks of your sander Glenn...

::tu::

I am learning a lot about these sanders while working on mine.

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm I love the looks of your sander Glenn...

::tu::

I am learning a lot about these sanders while working on mine.

:D
Thanks! I'm still tinkering with the design, and thinking out how to build a better mousetrap with the tool arms.

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”