Putting a patina on an Old Hickory Skinner.

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
Captain O

Putting a patina on an Old Hickory Skinner.

Post by Captain O »

I know how to do this (using 5% Acetic Acid White Vinegar). Should I do this before gifting the knife to my landlord? (I'm trying to prevent rust from forming on the blade possibly resulting from unintentional neglect). ::hmm::

Opinions?
Steve Warden

Re: Putting a patina on an Old Hickory Skinner.

Post by Steve Warden »

My opinion, since it is intended as a gift and will not belong to you, leave it as is. Share with them what patina is, the importance of it, and how it can be achieved. You have to leave the final decision to them.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
eveled

Post by eveled »

It will look like a used gift if you patina it. I’d teach them about patina and show them your knives with patina. See we’re it leads.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Let the new owner do it and tell him the importance
of patina. You can do it if he wishes.

Bob
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I would do as everyone has stated above. If future neglect is causing you some worry, coat the blade with some food safe mineral oil, then if he neglects the blade it will be down to him. As long as you explain to him how to look after the knife you can't be responsible. You cannot hold peoples hands forever. ::handshake::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I just spoke with my landlord and told him of the knife. I also told him of the quick "patina process" and how it would shield the knife from all-too-rapid corrosion. He said that he liked the idea.

Incidentally, we were on an errand in my 2005 3 Liter Jaguar S-Type and we spotted a herd of Roosevelt Elk with a wounded buck bringing up the rear of the herd. (He wished that he could follow the buck and take it home). ::sneaky:: ::drool::

I have a sneaking suspicion that next year that Old Hickory Skinner will be put to a lot of good use! ::tu::

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”