Paul Sellers "rag in a can" oiler

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
313 Mike

Paul Sellers "rag in a can" oiler

Post by 313 Mike »

I just stumbled across this video and thought it was kinda cool. Very simple, and I could see it being handy to have on the workbench.

https://youtu.be/npKo1y2e8RI
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Paul Sellers "rag in a can" oiler

Post by 1967redrider »

Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have worked in shops where a metal can with a tight foot operated lid was required to put oily rags in before the end of the day. Reason for that is spontaneous combustion of oily rags can cause a major fire. In fact one of the places I worked had a fire inspection and the fire marshall wrote them up for a violation because people would toss the oily rags on top of the can or beside the can on the floor. Not worth the risk of a fire.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:22 pm I have worked in shops where a metal can with a tight foot operated lid was required to put oily rags in before the end of the day. Reason for that is spontaneous combustion of oily rags can cause a major fire. In fact one of the places I worked had a fire inspection and the fire marshall wrote them up for a violation because people would toss the oily rags on top of the can or beside the can on the floor. Not worth the risk of a fire.
He uses 3 in 1 oil for the can, which is not spontaneously combustible
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

313 Mike wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:36 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:22 pm I have worked in shops where a metal can with a tight foot operated lid was required to put oily rags in before the end of the day. Reason for that is spontaneous combustion of oily rags can cause a major fire. In fact one of the places I worked had a fire inspection and the fire marshall wrote them up for a violation because people would toss the oily rags on top of the can or beside the can on the floor. Not worth the risk of a fire.
He uses 3 in 1 oil for the can, which is not spontaneously combustible
Is 3 in 1 a petroleum based oil? I can recall the fire inspector saying that motor oil and any petroleum based oil can spontaneously combust under certain circumstances. Rags that are compressed or packed together are suseptible. And that rag in a can is certainly packed. In any event there is no way I would have that on my workbench because sparks are occasionally present.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”