Great Eastern Cutlery Whittler

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
knifeswapper

Great Eastern Cutlery Whittler

Post by knifeswapper »

Some factory first glances....
GEC3back03.jpg
GEC3back03.jpg (58.01 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
GEC3back02.jpg
GEC3back02.jpg (57.84 KiB) Viewed 5097 times
Mike Latham, CollectorKnives
Great Eastern Cutlery | Case Knives | Arno Bernard Knives | Early Reserve
Low Price & Satisfaction Guaranteed
Oman

Re: Great Eastern Cutlery Whittler

Post by Oman »

Those are awesome. I want one (of each).
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Everything looks great except for the spey blade, I'd think a sheepfoot or cutoff pen would be much more usefull on a whittler.

Eric
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Hey Mike,
WOW!!! Now I have a goal for 2009. I will start saving up for one of those just after the holidays. Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol:
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by carvin don »

ea42 wrote:Everything looks great except for the spey blade, I'd think a sheepfoot or cutoff pen would be much more usefull on a whittler.

Eric

I agree Eric, I was disappointed to see the spey blade also. The coping blade on their #53 stockman or small wharncliff blade would have been much more useful to me. From the looks of the placement of the nail mark I can probably make a modified clip blade out of it, but, it already has a large clip blade and a small pen/clip type blade. Maybe they are saving the wharncliff or coping blade for a serpentine pattern?
Other than that, it looks real nice.
Don
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

not being a whittler for many years now, and even then rarely with a pocket knife, I too was a bit suprised to see a spey blade there. I expected a wharnie or coping at least.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

Looks more like an equal end stockman to me except that the spey is not next to the clip blade. ::shrug:: I would like to have a Warncliffe, maybe even a Sabre rather than a clip blade, and I would like a coping blade also, the spey is out of place. ::tear::

Nice knife - just doesn't seem to be a real whittler to me. The blades are set up like a whittler but I don't care for the blade selection, reminds me of the Cuban to much.
I would have liked to see a somewhat serpentine or dogleg look, a large bolster where the clip blade is and a smaller one where the spey and pen blades are so it doesn't look so much like the 53 Cuban.

To much hype, I feel let down. Just my opinion/2 cents.

3 backspring, I like that - it's great, kinda stops there for me. I'd like to see them do something real different for GEC, like a Serpentine frame or Dogleg frame that I mentioned earlier. I think they are at the point where they need to do that. ::dang:: ::dang:: Something dramatically different instead of the similarities between models. They seem to have fallen into a comfort zone and need to step out of that. ::shrug::
Hukk
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

I neglected to mention it earlier, but I will say this, blade selection aside, it's one VERY sharp looking knife (no pun intended). If the fit and finish on all of them are as precise as those look, then it's a winner, for sure. Any variations in the straightness or finish inside of those springs, with no liners, would gum up the whole works. it looks to be a slim little package to. It does make me wonder what the "secret" pattern is a bit more, honestly. maybe they saved all the ingenuity for that :mrgreen:
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I wish they would give the specs on the News Release page instead of just a picrure, seems like that is an important thing to do, IMO.
Hukk
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

In my opinion, they are producing a product similar to those the market has already proven.

If/when they produce a true whittler; I suspect it will look much different. This frame is just too large for your typical whittler.

Every time they come out with somthing new, half the people like them / half the people don't; then they sell all their little yankee hands can produce. If you are going to sell everything you make, you can't get too wrapped up in trying to produce a full line in your first couple of years in business.

I despised that little barlow, now it is my biggest GEC selling pattern. I learned a long time ago not to try and guage customers wants. Like Bull Durham, don't think....just pitch.

My 2cents
TM

Post by TM »

I'm not sure if I like it or not. ::shrug::

I like the big clip blade - I think it works on their equal end frame. I completely agree that they should have used a coping blade instead of the spey.

When it comes to whittlers, my favorite style is the Seahorse; great shape, size and blade configuration.

I didn't like the barlows when they came out, but after buying one on a whim and carrying it around for awhile they really started to appeal to me. I'm still hoping for a bigger one. I don't care for the 3 inch jacks they're making.

Anybody else think the shield placement looks awkward on these?
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

That's some nice looking Acrylic!

But I have to agree with Hukk. It's a Cuban with a new blade arrangement.
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
gcrinnion

Post by gcrinnion »

gmusic wrote:That's some nice looking Acrylic!

But I have to agree with Hukk. It's a Cuban with a new blade arrangement.
My sentiments exactly. I would never have guessed it was a whittler. It definitely looks more like a Stockman.
My name is George

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change -
Buddha

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible"
- Matthew 19:26
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Did I miss something?

I thought the new knife was supposed to be a two blader. ::shrug::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Archer

Post by Archer »

Whittler? ::shrug::
TM

Post by TM »

:lol: :lol: - philco, this is the 3 backspring 'whittler' GEC's been teasing us with for a long time now. They still haven't released the new mystery 2 blade model.

Couple more thoughts on this knife..... if those 2 secondary blades are as thick and chunky as the blades they put on their other knives, forget about doing any real whittling with it - I like GEC, but their knives don't lend themselves to precise, nimble, detailed cutting IMO.
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Hye all,
After looking at the whittler a little closer and after thinking about it for a while, I do like the 3 backsprings, I would like to see it with a wharnie blade. The blades look like they are too thick for whittling. And being a whittler myself, I prefer thinner blades. However if they will take and hold a keen edge they may be up for the task. I think I will try to save up and get one of the barlows with the wharnie blade and see what it will do.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

Here is one same as the Moore Maker. Only this is a Bulldog Prototype made by Queen back in 1995. Those are not cracks in the stag - looks like blood vessels, 100% solid.

Aw - heck a couple more proto's.

Evidently this Whittler is not the announced knife, I already made my thoughts known on this stockman/whittler.
Attachments
Sowbelly Whittler Stag USA ~ 3 78 – PROTOTYPE.jpg
Sowbelly Whittler Smooth Bone ~ USA ~ 3 78 Prototype.jpg
Sowbelly Whittler Green Bone Prototype ~ USA.jpg
Hukk
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

Hukk, do you have the Red Bone as well?

Great knives.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

Just a production knife. Also a Johnny Appleseed 1 of 50.
Attachments
3 78 SOWBELLY ~ USA MADE ~ Red Jigged Bone.jpg
1996 Johnny Appleseed Sowbelly.jpg
Hukk
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I would call this new GEC pattern a "three-backspring cattle knife" not really a whittler. Technically the Cuban is a "cattle knife" not really a stockman. The use of three backsprings allows each of the two secondary blades to be much longer than they coul be on the conventional two-backspring design like the original Cuban. IMO that is really the only difference or advantage to this new 3-spring model as compared to the two-spring model.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I just noticed an ad on the back of the January 2009 Knife World and Blue Grass Cutlery is selling some Winchester 4-1/2 inch 3 blade stockman whittlers with very similar blade configuration. Actually the blades are the same, clip, pen, and spey - the blade shapes are different, primarily the clip.

Anyhow, I think 3 blade stockman whittler is a more fit name. The asthetics of the Winchester knife are better; it has a slight serpentine shape that is more pleasing to my eye.

No mention of the number of springs, the pen and spey are on the large size. ::shrug:: I sure would like to see some serpentine or dogleg type frames from GEC. How about a sowbelly.
Hukk
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

Hukk, is the Winchester not the same as the one on the first page of this thread? I have never seen a 4 1/2" from Winchester and suspect a misprint. This is a classic Queen pattern.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

knifeswapper wrote:Hukk, is the Winchester not the same as the one on the first page of this thread? I have never seen a 4 1/2" from Winchester and suspect a misprint. This is a classic Queen pattern.

No, it's different. I'm looking at the ad now and there are 10 knives in the 30-30 shield with other shields available. Numbers are W 18 380119 and the last letters appear to be the handle material. Here is a link that shows the knife. http://www.s-denterprises.com/bluegrass ... 0119p.html
Hukk
Dan97526

Post by Dan97526 »

I didn't realize any Winchester knives were still being made in the USA. Who's making them? Does Blue Grass Cutlery do its own manufacturing?

Return to “General Knife Discussion”