Bear & Son - 4" Stockman #547

Stop by here to announce or review any new product that has recently hit the market or to announce products that are scheduled for release in the knife market.
Old Hunter
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Bear & Son - 4" Stockman #547

Postby Old Hunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:01 am

I stopped by the ACE HDW at Carolina Beach NC last week while we were vacationing there - they had quite a few knives, Bear & Son, Buck, Leatherman Tools, and some others. I couldn't look long because I was watching my daughter while my wife shopped; she will disappear in a heartbeat so I couldn't linger at the knife display. There was also a Tru-Value in Carolina Beach - they had a very decent display of Case knives there - maybe the Chinese won't get all our money!!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

deanmm56

Postby deanmm56 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 am

Hey Old Hunter,

You definitely are from Eastern NC, aren't you ?
I live in Durham and used to travel those areas all the time when I was a salesman for a national company.
Have stopped many a time ... probably at the same stores, to look at a knife or two at the local Ace hardware.

If you are familiar with Durham .... there is an old knife store off of Sharron Rd. Quite a nice selection of American made knives.
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w

Old Hunter
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Old Hunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:07 am

Dean, I was in the Army National Guard unit in Durham for a number of years (5-1/2 total on two different tours) - the Armory up Duke Street, across the street from the HS football stadium. I have only been back there once (cased the colors of the 30th CSG - my old command) since I retired 7 years ago, but I do pass through heading to Charlotte several times a year - maybe lunch one trip? Bruce
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Old Hunter
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Old Hunter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:20 pm

I have an update on the Bear & Son 547; been doing some whittling lately and decided to try the sheepfoot on the Bear 547 for that purpose. It wasn't sharp enough for whittling so I got out my old Browning Arkansas stone and some honing oil to touch the blade up. Much to my surprise the Bear stainless steel blade sharpened very easily to an extremely sharp edge - I was pleased. Sometimes I struggle with stainless to get the edge I want (a late 1980's Blue Grass Cutlery Winchester being my toughest ever, then my Buck's being easier than the BGC-WIN but tougher than the Bear). At any rate this knife sharpens readily - time will tell how long the edge holds. OH

Cutty

Postby Cutty » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:59 pm

I agree OH

B&S stainless is easy to sharpen and gets razor sharp. Edge retention, 8 out of 10 IMO. I whittle with my 547, nothing major as I have zero talent ::td:: but it'll make big sticks into smaller sticks with ease.
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian

deltaboy

Postby deltaboy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 am

Have to check out ACE hardware next time I am near one.
Keep Near the Cross.

stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby stagman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:29 pm

I carried that Bear MGC Sideliner...4 1/2" with pocket clip and stag -bone scales
for 4 yrs straight back in early 1990's...the one with the black titainium coating
on the blade,,,never had no trouble with it,,retired it when I bought a Crawford
Great cutlerly outfit !!!

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives

Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:18 am

I was just at Shot Show 2017 and I had the opportunity to meet up with the good folks at Bear & Son Cutlery.

Wally Gardiner (Former President of Imperial Schrade and Owner of Canal Street Cultery Brand) is now thier National Accounts Guy. I also met Ken and his son Matt. These folks are really down to earth and more than happy to work with their customers. I had several meetings with them and some of my Military Customers and it looks like we are going to do some significant business with them (Tactical Line)

They have some really great assisted openers as well as some phenominal Autos. Their top price (MSRP) is where others, like B-Made start their low end prices. Their pricing is extremely competitive.

The quality of their Tactical line is fantastic and I must warn you, they fire hard, both the assisted openers and the autos. In fact if you are not paying attention, they will fly out of your hand.

If you are looking for a great assisted opener or Auto that is "Budget Friendly" and yes AMERICAN Made, you have to check out the folks at Bear & Son

Tom

deltaboy

Postby deltaboy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:34 am

Thanks.
Keep Near the Cross.

AR Norby

Postby AR Norby » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:55 pm

I bought the same knife the OP pictured around 2013 at an Ace in the Phoenix area and have found it to be a solid reliable knife. My only complaint, and a minor one at that, was it was not sharp out of the box and took awhile to get an edge on it. But once i did, it was great and holds an well.
Perception is Reality

Return to “New Product Announcements and Reviews”