Bear & Son - 4" Stockman #547

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
OSCAR

Re: Bear & Son - 4" Stockman #547

Post by OSCAR »

1967Redrider:
I agree that they appeal more for users than collectors. Maybe it’s their inability to market them? The last two I bought were not only well made but featured Sambar stag handles at less than $40 each! Carbon steel (which I prefer to stainless). If for collectors, the steel really isn’t a big concern. I keep a film of silicon rust preventing fluid on the blade. Easy to sharpen if you wanna use it. As for stainless, the higher grade steels take and hold a great edge, while the cheaper stainless isn’t that good. Downside is that they are costly. Once again it really doesn’t matter for a collection. For usage they excel but are very difficult to sharpen. I have many in D2, VG10, S30V and CPM154. They are awesome knives but the cheapest one I have was just over $100.
I typically carry a carbon steel Case sodbuster as my EDC. Fits my hand well, sharpens with a few strokes on ceramic rods. Yellow so easy to find it if dropped. Best of all this great all around EDC cost $26. I won’t lose any sleep if I lose it. I know a few folks that carry GEC.
I wouldn’t want to use and possibly lose a knife of that quality and price. My el cheapo Case suits my needs. Even the Bear knives are not ones I wanna mess up by using but they are cheap enough that if I did, I’d buy two identical. One for collection and the other to use. Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

After reading this post I purchased a Bear & Son #347 4'' stockman with carbon steel blades. Smokey mountain knife had it for $ 34.99 .
You all were correct very nice knife for the price and Made in the USA !!! ::tu::
Bear&son stockman.jpg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Great knife! I think that Bear is underrated. I prefer them to Case as a working tool. And the steel takes a good edge. Just remember to wipe after use, and light coat of oil.
In the long run, I prefer carbon steel over stainless.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Oscar,
I agree with you. I think you get a good American made knife for a good price. I have 2 Bear & Son barlows which I prefer to use over my Case barlow because they feel more robust then the Case. Just my opinion.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

More robust and better quality in every way. Better steel, snap and overall fit in my opinion. Case are overpriced and overrated in my opinion. I can’t understand why they are “collectibles” and Bear less so.
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

I don't have any Bear folders but do have two of their straight knives, both are skinning knives with gut hooks. The two I have are great skinning knives, and they have skinned many a deer. Your stag is a good lookin knife.
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
Jtabor

Post by Jtabor »

That's a very good looking knife. Unfortunately my experience has not been too good. I ordered one of their Heritage walnut slimline trappers online from Amazon, and they must have sent me the worst one they had. The carbon steel blade was pretty flimsy looking. One scale was glossy, one scale was matte. Lots of blade wobble. I sent it back and got a refund.

I'm going to have to do like you did, go down to my Ace hardware store and check them out. I'm sure they make good ones. They've been around quite some time. I just didn't have any luck.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Not unlike Amazon to sell defective products. Shop for it at Ace or a cutlery shop. Even online knife shops. Amazon sells junk.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Nev52 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:28 pm Oscar,
I agree with you. I think you get a good American made knife for a good price. I have 2 Bear & Son barlows which I prefer to use over my Case barlow because they feel more robust then the Case. Just my opinion.
I do like Case but at the risk of being accused of heresy, I think they are definitely overpriced.
I have a few Bears and I think that they are very well made and overall a great buy.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Jtabor wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:29 pm That's a very good looking knife. Unfortunately my experience has not been too good. I ordered one of their Heritage walnut slimline trappers online from Amazon, and they must have sent me the worst one they had. The carbon steel blade was pretty flimsy looking. One scale was glossy, one scale was matte. Lots of blade wobble. I sent it back and got a refund.

I'm going to have to do like you did, go down to my Ace hardware store and check them out. I'm sure they make good ones. They've been around quite some time. I just didn't have any luck.
Absolutely ! I have purchased knives from Amazon and was disappointed. I prefer to examine them so online is seldom except for AAPK. I have had great luck purchasing here for the most part. Descriptions overall are on point. Still, walk in stores are the best way to go.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I have had good luck with Smoky Mountain Knife Works. If there is a problem they take it back. No issue giving money back or exchange. ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I’ve made purchases through them as well. They are a good company and will rectify any problem that may occur. I’ve been to their store a few times. It’s huge. Like going to knife heaven.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”