Kershaw Scallion REVIEW

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
BR101

Kershaw Scallion REVIEW

Post by BR101 »

Specifications:
Overall Length: 5.87"
Blade Length: 2.25"
Closed Length: 3.25"
Steel: 420HC stainless-steel
Handle: 6061-T6 anodized-aluminum
Weight: 2.3 oz.

Today I am reviewing the Kershaw Scallion 1620NB assisted folder. I've been carrying this knife for about a week now and really like it for a few reasons I will point out below. It's been my companion through my everyday tasks, mostly opening heavy duty shipping boxes, envelopes, and cutting rope.

The blade steel on the Kershaw Scallion is 420HC, which is a good steel. It is soft enough to sharpen easily but also hard enough to hold a hair-popping edge. Out of the box it was razor sharp! Even after a weeks worth of EDC cutting task I still feel confident using this knife for cutting task.

The blade on this knife deploys super fast and smooth thanks to Kershaws Speed-Safe assisted opening mechanism. The way that it works is when the blade is partially opening, an internals spring pushes the blade open the rest of the way. When closed. the tab that forms a sort of finger guard at the base of the blade is used to push the blade open with your index finger. The knife can also be opening by using the metal thumb stud. Using the thumb stud to open the knife is just as easy as using the finger tab. Lock up is rock solid with no wiggle room either way. And when closed, the blade has perfect blade centering.

The body on the Kershaw Scallion is constructed out of aluminum scales with stainless steel liners and a liner-lock locking system. Between the body lines and the jimping on spine of the blade, the ergonomics are great on the Scallion! You can really get a firm grip on the knife whether you're using it barehanded or with gloves. Under severe wet conditions the aluminum scales can be a little slick but not to the point where it's a danger to be using the knife. It's slim profile makes carrying this knife super easy and fits in just about any EDC system.

The Kershaw Scallion 1620NB uses a very elegant black pocket clip. It allows the knife ti sit low in your pocket with about 1/4" exposed. The pocket clip is right hand carry tip down carry only.

My final conclusion on the Kershaw Scallion 1620NB: Overall, I am very pleasured with the knife. For the price it's a great value knife. It's a great EDC knife that can be adapted to just about any EDC system. It's overall size is compact and the blade is easily to maintenance. And best of all it's made right here in the United States!!

For other cool gear reviews check out my website: http://www.bladereviews101.blogspot.com

Thanks
- Scott
MattBPKT

Re: Kershaw Scallion REVIEW

Post by MattBPKT »

Thanks Scott.
Not sure I like the electric blue handle :mrgreen:
Always in search of the best pocket knives...
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

U nailed it Scott.Once the newness of my Benchmades and my Leek wore off I find the Scallion getting more pocket time.but afta reading Junebugs threads I've gut to get some ZT's
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

And now I have a purple one on my wish list. ::facepalm::
(Sorry for the poor picture. The blue and yellow are much more vivid than that.)
Kershaw Scallions - MC, Red, Yellow, Green & Blue.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
BR101

Post by BR101 »

Nice collection you got there ^
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thank you. Nice review. I wish my pictures were as good as yours.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I'm a fan of the Scallion as well, it was actually my first Kershaw!
Nice review, glad to see the Scallion is still getting much respect.
Jerry, nice spread indeed! I've still got to pick me up one of those ol' yellers...
I've gotta say, I prefer the blade style with the three holes, I think it adds a little something to the look....
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

The Scallion was my first Kershaw as well. The recurve in the blade makes for some good cuttin' ability.
I prefer the three hole blade style too ::tu::

Nice review Scott ::nod::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
junebug

Post by junebug »

THANKS FOR REVIEW...... ::tu:: 8) 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
BR101

Post by BR101 »

Glad everyone enjoyed the review. Be sure to follow me on facebook for other cool reviews and stuff.
www.facebook.com/bladereviews101

8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”