Best Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com Review

Stop by here to announce or review any new product that has recently hit the market or to announce products that are scheduled for release in the knife market.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Best Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com Review

Postby TripleF » Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 am

Just finished posting this to my blog, thought I'd share the text portion here.....

Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com REVIEW

Steel Sahlute fellow knifers! (And if you’re not a knife carrier…..you should be).

Touted as the Best Every Day Carry Work Knife by the fine folks at DPH I was asked to review one.

Naturally anything that’s touted as the best, just like last years champion has to and will be called to task! You just can’t allow the best to go unchallenged, right?

I received my Work Knife in the mail just a smidge before Christmas last. Immediately I began using and carrying it, and did so almost DAILY for the next 4 months. I don’t work in the field or on a farm but when reviewing a knife I look for opportunities to put it to use!

Before I forget, here’s the Details:
4 ½" G10 Tuff-Tack Comfort Grip
3 ⅜" Heavy-Duty Satin Finished Spear Point Blade
Stay-Sharp cutting Edges (Scalloped & Straight)
440 Rc 57 Stainless Steel
One Hand Opener
Bronze Phosphorous Washers
Stainless Steel Liners and LinerLock
Commercial Grade Parts and Reinforcements
Rear Lanyard Hole
Weighs 4.3 Ounces

TripleF - Fit, Finish and Function

I like the drop-point blade with swedge. I like the partial serration. Everything in the production aligns perfectly on this knife. Locks up firmly with the linerlock! Handle is sturdy.
It’s not meant to be a pretty boy knife, rather a work knife so I’d say the fit and finish and appearance is SPOT ON!!
I used this EDC knife to:
Cut small twigs from branches.
Cut cigar caps
Make shavings for tinder
Cut slices of cardboard
Open small boxes
Cut steak and pork chop

Special Note for the survivalist/outdoors person (what we used to be before the word survival appeared on the scene). The serrated edge makes some purty transparent shavings . I now prefer using a serrated blade for making shavings, thanks to a tip from my Wisconsin pal - Mike!!
You know when you know…...ya know?
Score here - 10!

Accessibility -
Comes with a cheapie nylon velcro sheath which I did not use. I carried thie knife in a snap belt sheath I had or towards the final days the Recycled Firefighter wallet - I preferred this carry most!!
I never carried the Work Knife in my pocket - felt it was too big.
I did tie a custom made lanyard handle to gain access faster from the sheath. Opens with one hand nicely.
I’d score this folder an 8.5 out of a possible 10 steel sahlutes!
Value -
Ya know…..for Forty bucks, shipped, it ain’t half bad!
Score - 8

Sharpening -
was and still am impressed with the edge holding strength. Most of my cutting/slicing in reviewing this pocket knife came as I cut cardboard. I know, I know….carboard has stones in it. But, hey I needed cardboard cut, some knife had to do it. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the steel performed.
The only sharpening I’ve done is with a sharpening steel and
leather strop. I’ve yet to put a stone of any kind near it. I will say, however, that the sharpening steel re-honed the edge better than the leather strop did.
The edge durability definitely impressed me and can see why this would be a top contender for best every day carry work knife.
9.5 outta 10!

Collectability - 0
I’m not going to hold the lack of collectability against this knife because it’s meant to be a work knife, not a collectable.
I believe when you set out to review a knife you have to test it’s limits without using it as a pry bar and throwing knife. I believe if you say it is, then IT IS and it BETTER BE!!

I have to admit I was standoffish when I first read how this work knife was brutally tested by super human workers who were prime examples of more power and grunting. But,......but I’m a believer.

Total EDC KNIFE Steel Sahlute Score: 9.0!!

Scott
Attachments
Work Knife Review (1).JPG

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Best Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com Review

Postby jerryd6818 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:28 pm

Scott, the thing that stops me from buying one of these is the partially serrated blade. Personal opinion here: I hate serrated blades, partially or otherwise. Other than that? I'll be happy to take your word on it. ::handshake::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby philco » Thu May 05, 2016 3:18 am

Jerry have you ever carried and used a serrated or (my preference) a partially serrated blade ? For a hard use knife I love a partially serrated blade. You've still got the fine edge, but you've also got the mega serious cutting capability of the serrated portion of the blade. Just my thoughts, YMMV.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Please visit my AAPK store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/philco

Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Jody744 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:19 am

I feel the same as Jerry. And yes, I have tried serrated in the past, full and partial.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)

313 Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby 313 Mike » Sat May 14, 2016 1:32 am

Thanks to the genrosity of Scott, this knife has found a new home in Wisconsin! While I haven't had the opportunity to put it through the paces yet, I can attest to it being a well built, solid knife. No wobble or wiggle to be found...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby TripleF » Wed May 18, 2016 11:27 am

Makes some purty knice shavings Mike.....
Attachments
ShavingsSerratedKnifeReviewEDC.jpg

Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Chase » Mon May 23, 2016 2:04 pm

I have three of these...various colors. I didn't buy it to use yet I didn't buy it to collect. I bought them because they were from Michael. They sit on my shelves along with all of my Canal Street Knives.

If I needed to get one of these as a work knife or for someone to use...I would not hesitate to grab more of them.

Good job with the Knife Michael and great review as well Scott!

Tom

D.P. Hunter

Postby D.P. Hunter » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks for the responses and special thanks to Scott for taking the time to review our work-knife -- I am very proud of the process we vetted in the making of this work-knife, and because I believe in it so strongly, I want a few more of you to test it out. The first three (3) of you to volunteer (just volunteer below) will get one sent to you free - with the proviso that you have to make a comment about your experiences after using it -- Bring it on!

Mike the Knife
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Mike, I'll be happy to tote one around and use it for a while here on the ranch, and report back. I'll pm you the address.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby edge213 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Mike, I would love to give one a workout. I will pm you my info.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Dinadan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Great review, Scott, sounds like a good knife. I also dislike serrated blades. I have one knife with a serrated blade and it cuts very well. But I just prefer regular blades.
Mel

D.P. Hunter

Postby D.P. Hunter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Ken and David are in and I have received their info via PM -- one more to go

Dinadan -- before we designed this knife -- I would have agreed with you 100% -- I have even been known to be persnickety about straight edge blades historically -- but my inherent prejudice has been proven wrong on this -- We have had so many tell us how startlingly useful this knife is under extreme usage - from the work crew that helped us design and test it -- to customers who have been repeat buyers -- overall I've become a convert and have made this my own personal EDC. It turns out, and as part of this particular adventure, that there are times when a straight edge alone does not get the job done out in the brush. I have now placed one in every mobile unit and vehicle on our farm and they come in very handy.
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508

Bamarick

Postby Bamarick » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Michael,
I'd be happy to give one of these knives a good workout as a EDC and give it a review. I'll send a PM.
Thanks
Rick

D.P. Hunter

Postby D.P. Hunter » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:37 pm

Okay -- with Ricky that makes 3
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508

Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Jody744 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:19 am

I would have bought one years ago in green if there were no serrations. Just my own thing, never warmed up to them.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)

Return to “New Product Announcements and Reviews”