Great War sniper plate blade

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
MJC

Great War sniper plate blade

Post by MJC »

After a long struggle we have created a sgian dubh with a blade derived from a sniper plate from the Western Front which has preserved the weathered pitted metal down the back edge of the blade. The grips are derived from the walnut of pre WW2 Lee Enfield rifle butts. Each one is different and unique. I am not sure of my competence in posting images but will try -----[image]http://typenet.com/Sgian_Dubhs/sgian-du ... -plate.jpg[/image]
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Great War sniper plate blade

Post by jerryd6818 »

The "img" feature is disabled on AAPK and has been for quite some time. All pictures must be uploaded directly to AAPK. It's really quite simple. See this thread for instructions. ---► viewtopic.php?f=98&t=50258
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

MJC wrote:After a long struggle we have created a sgian dubh with a blade derived from a sniper plate from the Western Front which has preserved the weathered pitted metal down the back edge of the blade. The grips are derived from the walnut of pre WW2 Lee Enfield rifle butts. Each one is different and unique. I am not sure of my competence in posting images but will try -----
I was able to copy your image address into my browser and pull up the picture for you.
Attachments
sgian-dubh-sniper-plate.jpg
sgian-dubh-sniper-plate.jpg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 4925 times
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Interesting ... but what is a sniper plate?
Mel
eveled

Post by eveled »

A steel plate to prop up on the edge of the trench with a peep hole to shoot through. Generally anything that went above the top of the trench got shot. You didn't pop your head up to sneak a peak, unless you were suicidal.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

For those curious, here's a link to the Sheffield cutlery site http://www.sheffield-gb.com/

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dinadan wrote:Interesting ... but what is a sniper plate?
Attachments
Observation-point_-The-plate-guarded-the-observers-from-the-threat-of-the-snipers.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks for the info, Eveled and Jerry. I recall reading a Wilbur Smith book where the fellows in the trenches in WW I would fix a helmet onto a pole and lift it up to where it was just visible in order to get German snipers to shoot it and maybe let the counter snipers get a shot at the German. I do not think I have ever read anything about the sniper plate but it makes a lot of sense to have something like that.

I followed the link that Ken posted but I did not find any photos of the sniper plate sgian dubhs. Interesting knives on the site. I have always liked the sgian dubh knife though I only have two cheap versions.
Mel
MJC

Post by MJC »

Many thanks for all your help. I am a complete incompetent when it comes to coping with the various rules re image posting. Each of the sgian dubhs had to be hand cut out of the metal as the lasers bounced off. Likewise the handles from the walnut of a rifle butt are all different due to the curves of the Lee Enfield.
http://www.sheffield-gb.com/Sheffield_M ... dubhs.html
It is the centenary of the Armistice this year and we made them to remember that.
I do not have any more sniper plates around the house all though I do have considerable amounts of other bits and pieces like teak stored for 80 or so years by the Royal Navy as decking on the last of the ships which had teak decks as opposed to steel. The steel on the sgian dubh was incredibly hard and even then it had a bullet hole straight through which would seem to negate it's purpose.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Did the bullet hole make it onto a knife?
eveled

Post by eveled »

Did the bullet hole make it onto a knife?
MJC

Post by MJC »

Unfortunately not. We had enough trouble with the steel. It was entirely hand cut and ground. Mind you we still might have the bit with the bullet hole. I will see. Having made the grips out of the Lee Enfield which of itself had a few problems if i suggest that a blade is made with a bullet hole in the groans round Sheffield will be louder than Sheffield Wednesday being relegated again. The Sheffield made sgian dubh is now complete on -
http://typenet.com/Sgian_Dubhs/sgian_dubhs.html Many thanks for your interest.
MJC

Post by MJC »

Unfortunately the sniper plate was cracked round the bullet hole - so no knife with a bullet hole through the blade.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”