GEC Cubans are out - I like 'em!!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

GEC Cubans are out - I like 'em!!!

Post by Bryan »

Hello Knifers,

Just received a few of the new GEC #53 Cuban knives. I'm very impressed overall. Very well made knives IMO. I'd like to hear some opinions about these when they start getting in more hands. Can't decide if I like the color combination on the dead skunk??? Maybe it's the name.

Edit -> Dead Skunk is growing on me. ...as most knives do :D

Images below are Coppertone Acrylic, Dead Skunk Acrylic, and Cats Cradle Acrylic... Sorry for bad pics. I'll see if the better half can get me some replacements later.
Attachments
100_3910.jpg
100_3910.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
catscradle.jpg
catscradle.jpg (85.94 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
100_3906.jpg
100_3906.jpg (53.61 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
100_3905.jpg
100_3905.jpg (87.69 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
100_3902.jpg
100_3902.jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
100_3901.jpg
100_3901.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
Bryan
marcinek

Post by marcinek »

Interesting! Thanks for sharing the pix, Bryan!
John
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Hey Bryan I really like these knives. May have to buy one. Thanks for showin them. ::tu::

Singin46
Love all Jacks
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I have been looking at the Cuban and I keep trying to figure out what is stopping me from buying. I finally figured out what I wanted to see in this new knife. I would have loved to see pinched bolsters and/or a groove or 2 cut in the bolster near where the handle material meets the bolster. I think the lack of these features gives them a bit of a bland look. ::shrug::

Anyone else have a similar opinion?

EDIT: I know these are very high in quality from which many sources have told me. Don't let my opinion influence your purchases of these fine knives, I was just hoping for a bit more. ::tu::
Hukk
SFC ADP

Post by SFC ADP »

I think my like for these knives is 80/20, 80% like, 20% dislike.
I got the Cats Cradle, and I notice some "flat" spots on the scales, like they were over buffed in one spot or something, which shows on 2 or 3 spots on the scales. Master blade looks great, but the 2 other blades show heavy grind marks, and could have been finished up a little better IMO.
Attached I scanned my knife (My scanner sucks for knife pics)
but I circled in Red where there are heavy grind marks.
Attachments
Knives183.jpg
Knives183.jpg (34.53 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Hukk, I aggree but I did like and bought the Dead Skunk today at the show because I really like the handle material. It kinda speaks to me ya know?
I would've liked to have seen some pinching and or scrolling when you consider their former employer, Queen, you would expect a little something extra for the eye. This is the only one that appeals to me so far. Plus, I got a really good deal of course. ::tu:: They may have been shooting for the old world look. Heard from several dealers that they were still having difficulties in finishing at the plant. Just can't be everywhere at the same time. So I guess they still have some kinks to work out SFC.

Singin46
Attachments
IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG
Love all Jacks
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

singin46 wrote:Hukk, I aggree but I did like and bought the Dead Skunk today at the show because I really like the handle material. It kinda speaks to me ya know?
I would've liked to have seen some pinching and or scrolling when you consider their former employer, Queen, you would expect a little something extra for the eye. This is the only one that appeals to me so far. Plus, I got a really good deal of course. ::tu:: They may have been shooting for the old world look. Heard from several dealers that they were still having difficulties in finishing at the plant. Just can't be everywhere at the same time. So I guess they still have some kinks to work out SFC.
Singin46
Yeah Perry, I do like the dead skunk (like the name as well), I like the use of Acryllics instead of celluloids. I have some Red Sparkle Acryllic that was given to me as a sample, but it is big enough to rehandle 2 knives (now that's a nice sample). :lol: The acryllic technologies are good enough in my opinion to replace celluloid "hands down".

I like the snakewood on the mark side of the knife, but the pile side seems to be not as high in quality. That's the problem with wood. When I am building a knife I like to be able to bookmatch the scales, the opposing sides are identical. ::tu:: ::tu::
SFC ADP wrote:I think my like for these knives is 80/20, 80% like, 20% dislike.
I got the Cats Cradle, and I notice some "flat" spots on the scales, like they were over buffed in one spot or something, which shows on 2 or 3 spots on the scales. Master blade looks great, but the 2 other blades show heavy grind marks, and could have been finished up a little better IMO.
Attached I scanned my knife (My scanner sucks for knife pics)
but I circled in Red where there are heavy grind marks.
I'm sorry to see that in your knife SFC. That should be a problem that has been remidied by now, I had 2 knives that had the grind mark problem, the first 2 out if I remember correctly. I could actually run my fingernail down the blade and feel the marks. I could have lived with it except for the fact that I could feel it go bump, bump, bumpity, bump - bump when my nail ran down the blade.

It just seems to me that any blade grind problems should have been worked out by now. They have done enough blades to be to the point where they should be proficient by now, but every blade has it's own unique problems, so I must ask myself if this is going to be an ongoing problem with every new blade they come out with.

Well, they can rework the knives so that you can be 100% happy with it. ::tu:: ::tu:: I still beleive that GEC makes a very fine knife and I support their efforts 100%.
Hukk
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I second that SFC, GEC does make a quality knife and its just a matter of time before all the kinks are gone.

Singin46
Love all Jacks
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

SFC ADP wrote:I think my like for these knives is 80/20, 80% like, 20% dislike.
I got the Cats Cradle, and I notice some "flat" spots on the scales, like they were over buffed in one spot or something, which shows on 2 or 3 spots on the scales.
Good thing these are acryllic, if that was celluloid and there were flat spots from over buffing, I would wonder if that kind of thing would contribute to outgassing. A flat spot would likely mean that the material probably got a bit hot. I do like these Acrillics, I have some single blade Bulldog trappers with Acryillic handles from 1998 and have seen some Bullet Trappers from the second generation, 1992.

I just got some tortoise shell celluloid to repair a couple old outgassed knives, came with a warning about overheating the material. :shock:
Hukk
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Is the Coonstripe material used on the Bulldogs considered acrylic or something else Hukk?

Singin46
Love all Jacks
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

singin46 wrote:Is the Coonstripe material used on the Bulldogs considered acrylic or something else Hukk?

Singin46
No, it's celluloid or cellulose nitrate I believe. The only one's I'm aware of is some of those second generation knives and some 1998 1 blade trappers. If I remember correctly I got them from Tony Foster and I don't know if they were production or not.

I think I have 5 or 6.
Attachments
BULLDOG BRAND ONE BLADE TRAPPER Yellow.jpg
Hukk
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Thats good to know. ::tu:: Boy thats a beauty. You just don't see the Coonstripes gas out or shrink like the regular celluloids do. At least not the ones I've seen and I've seen several at different shows. They seem to look like new. Curious that.

Singin46
Love all Jacks
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

They made a Coonstripe Trapper, back in '86 or '87. It had a funky Coon-dog shield, and was definitely celluloid. Wasn't terribly popular around here, for some reason.

It was Bulldog-quality, but I sure had a hard time, peddlin' 'em.

JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.
Delco

Re: GEC Cubans are out - I like 'em!!!

Post by Delco »

Received my #191 Coppertone, got wrapped up in the tactical for awhile. Came back to my slipjoint roots. This is a very high quality pocket knife. Glad to see this quality again in a U.S.made folder.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”