New Case Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New Case Knives

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:12 am The problem I have with Case (and I love Case knives) is that the price of their new knives seems to be based on what they think the popularity will be, not on the cost to manufacture. I have a real problem with "creating" scarcity (*cough* GEC *cough*). Does a single blade back pocket really cost $30 more to make than a full-size trapper with the same handle material? Really? I absolutely loath being manipulated by marketing wanks.
You're certainly entitled to feel as you do. However let's be glad you're not in Case's marketing department. ::woot:: :lol:

Solely cost-based pricing is foolish. Depending on your marketing strategy, in most scenarios product should be priced for as much as the market will bear.

Lots of factors besides material cost have a bearing on pricing. Market share strategy, break-even payback on design and tooling costs, manufacturing complexities, yields, etc. Offhand I can think of several reasons why the back pocket might cost more to manufacture than the trapper, the least of which is cost of material.

We don't know that the cost is the same or not and we don't know what other factors affect the pricing decisions. But the point is material is just one of many costs, and cost is only one of many factors in a product pricing decision.

They're in business to make profit, and seem to have a product and marketing strategy (like it or not) that's working, whereas most of their competitors are gone.

And yes I worked in marketing and made product pricing decisions. :lol: ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

As you know, Case's web sit is only showing two Back Pocket knives, one clip point ant the other spear point. There's no choice of side covers or blade material. That indicates very limited sales.

I never paid much attention to Back Pocket knives because I prefer more blades. The research section here has not been updated to show they exist. They are not in either the pattern number guide or the pattern name guide. The number guide only shows two very different discontinued #46 patterns.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Recently bought a Case Mini-Copperlock to replace one I gifted several years ago. Fit and finish excellent and a great EDC pocketknife - modern design too, never seen this pattern marked any older than 20 years (+/-). OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “General Knife Discussion”