New Office Knife. First Production.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

New Office Knife. First Production.

Post by Old Folder »

I received my weekly email from Red Hill Cutlery earlier today.
I had to buy their advertised Office Knife. There was still eleven (11) remaining as of this posting if you are interested.
After I receive it I will post it with my other "Office Knives" dating most likely from 100 years ago.
I don't know of any other current office knives manufactured.

office.jpg

https://redhillcutlery.com/product/bear ... pen-knife/

Description
EXCLUSIVE to RED HILL CUTLERY, First Production Run Blade Etch, Only 25 Made

Red Hill Re-Inspires the classic OFFICE Knife
When the we saw the 79 pattern Bear & Son Cutlery was debuting this year the FIRST thought was "OFFICE KNIFE". The Office knife was a classic design dating back over 100 years, typically on a synthetic handle. The Office Knife could be all Business or Business casual but either way it was as versatile as it was collectible and a good size to fit in the pocket too. Josh Basham of Red Hill Cutlery re-designed the artwork to make the Office Knife the NEWEST RHC Exclusive.
Proudly made in the USA. Red Hill Cutlery is EXCLUSIVELY offering the First 25 of these with FIRST PRODUCTION RUN 1 of 25 stamping at Only $39.95 each.
Regular Version Only $36.95 ea

For more than 100 years, collectors have sought after the historical and elegant OFFICE Knife. These knives were a useful and popular tool with almost every traditional cutlery company making their own unique version. Red Hill Cutlery’s Josh Basham has exclusively designed this modern rendition of a traditional favorite in Bear and Son’s new 79 single blade pen knife pattern. This art design is exclusive to Red Hill Cutlery and will be limited.

The Bear & Son 79 is an improved version of the 2 blade 79 Pen Knife from the 80’s & 90’s. This single blade version features a lanyard hole and screw together construction. The Taper Ground 2-1/4″ Drop Point Blade is made from High Carbon Stainless Steel, making it rust resistant, easy to sharpen, and will hold an edge exceptionally well. The Bear & Son 79 has a nail nick present to open the blade. The Bear & Son 79 has an overall length of 6″ and is a good size to fit in the pocket. The 79 weighs 2.2 ounces and is proudly made in the USA.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Gunsil

Re: New Office Knife. First Production.

Post by Gunsil »

I guess I am just a traditionalist, but an office knife should have an ink eraser blade, not the blade shown here. Jus' sayin'.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Dan thanks for the info. I just ordered one of the first run and I will share with you too when I get it. Love to see your other office knives.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Almost bought this one myself, but chose another model, the "Slipjoint". I love the "Office Knife" print on the handle! Really reasonable prices; unlike say Case or GEC on the majority of their LEs. $35 is reasonable for most.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

So now what exactly is an "Office Knife"? Is that just what they call it or does the knife have to meet some type of specifications in order to be an official office knife?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Mike, you will to ask Dan, he's the one that got us started down this road. I ordered one because curiosity got the best of me. I've worked in a lot of offices in my working history and never run into this type of knife, so I guess we will all learn something together hopefully.

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

XX Case XX wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 pm So now what exactly is an "Office Knife"? Is that just what they call it or does the knife have to meet some type of specifications in order to be an official office knife?

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I'll post a photo of a typical office knife. I used to have a couple hundred of them.

Ray
Attachments
Cattaraugus Office Knife,larger, Kennedy .JPG
Cattaraugus Office Knife,larger, Kennedy .JPG (24.96 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
Eye Brand Office Knife, Cent Tx Show .JPG
Eye Brand Office Knife, Cent Tx Show .JPG (33.21 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Gunsil wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 pm I guess I am just a traditionalist, but an office knife should have an ink eraser blade, not the blade shown here. Jus' sayin'.
Thank you for your contribution Gunsil, however "office knives" were never produced with an ink eraser blade. At least, I have never seen one.
The below picture shows my "Ink Erasers" which I have posted in the past.

IMG_0013 1.jpg

An "Office Knife" is a relatively large equal-end pen knife that has a spear master blade for opening letters and a "spey-type" blade intended to serve as an ink eraser.
An office knife is a working knife mostly for a clerical worker.

IMG_0001 (1) 4.JPG

There are (were) many knives that could fall under the title of "Office Knife" such as my below Gillette Office Knife with a spare blade and sheath.

IMG_0001 45.JPG
IMG_0063 1.JPG
IMG_0063 (2).JPG
IMG_0064.JPG

Perhaps it would have been "more authentic" for Red Hill to have produced a two bladed office knife to include a spear blade, but that would have increased the price. However, it is what it is and i'm happy that it is available. ::nod::
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:05 pm Dan thanks for the info. I just ordered one of the first run and I will share with you too when I get it. Love to see your other office knives.
Your very welcome Dave. ::handshake::
Will post all office knives after Red Hill arrives.
Just received an email from Red Hill stating I should receive it on Thursday March 5.
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Old Folder wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:44 pm
dlr110 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:05 pm Dan thanks for the info. I just ordered one of the first run and I will share with you too when I get it. Love to see your other office knives.
Just received an email from Red Hill stating I should receive it on Thursday March 5.
I got one too Dan and mine will be here on Tuesday, guess I'm closer. The next day I'm on the road to Branson, MO. but I'll still be on the internet.

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:13 am
I got one too Dan and mine will be here on Tuesday, guess I'm closer. The next day I'm on the road to Branson, MO. but I'll still be on the internet.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip Dave.
Dan
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Old Folder wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:19 pm
Gunsil wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 pm I guess I am just a traditionalist, but an office knife should have an ink eraser blade, not the blade shown here. Jus' sayin'.
Thank you for your contribution Gunsil, however "office knives" were never produced with an ink eraser blade. At least, I have never seen one.
The below picture shows my "Ink Erasers" which I have posted in the past.

IMG_0013 1.jpg

An "Office Knife" is a relatively large equal-end pen knife that has a spear master blade for opening letters and a "spey-type" blade intended to serve as an ink eraser.
An office knife is a working knife mostly for a clerical worker.

IMG_0001 (1) 4.JPG

There are (were) many knives that could fall under the title of "Office Knife" such as my below Gillette Office Knife with a spare blade and sheath.

IMG_0001 45.JPGIMG_0063 1.JPGIMG_0063 (2).JPGIMG_0064.JPG

Perhaps it would have been "more authentic" for Red Hill to have produced a two bladed office knife to include a spear blade, but that would have increased the price. However, it is what it is and i'm happy that it is available. ::nod::
I was not referring to the fixed blade ink eraser blade you are referencing here. The "spey" looking blade on Paladin's knife is an ink eraser blade as is usually found on an office knife and almost always on a single blade folding office knife.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Old Folder wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:18 am

Dan my office knife came in while I was on the road. It's a very nice, well made knife for your desk IMO. Ironically I found an older one in Ozark, Mo. This was made by W.H. Morley & Sons, Germany, of which I know nothing about.
Attachments
IMG_20200311_190417.jpg
IMG_20200311_190238.jpg
IMG_20200311_190342.jpg

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:33 am
Old Folder wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:18 am
Dan my office knife came in while I was on the road. It's a very nice, well made knife for your desk IMO. Ironically I found an older one in Ozark, Mo. This was made by W.H. Morley & Sons, Germany, of which I know nothing about.
I'm also liking my new Bear & Son Office Knife Dave.

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

Here are some pictures of my other Office Knives that I have kept over the years.
Top to bottom:
Bear & Son
Miller Bros
Camillus
Schrade Cut. Co

IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:33 am Dan my office knife came in while I was on the road. It's a very nice, well made knife for your desk IMO. Ironically I found an older one in Ozark, Mo. This was made by W.H. Morley & Sons, Germany, of which I know nothing about.
On Oct 27, 2018 I posted my below W.H. Morley & Sons knife, it will give you some critical dates of your Morley knife.
https://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_ ... 64#p682448

I also have the below W.H. Morley & Sons, Lodge knife. Love the "Birds Eye Rivets" I had fun researching the handles art work.
Probably a B.P.O.E. membership or club knife.
I do not know if the B.P.O.E. members still practice the below ceremony. Perhaps there are current members here within aapk?
The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks is an American fraternal order founded in 1868 originally as a social club in New York City.
At every meeting of the BPOE, and every social function, when the hour of 11:00 p.m. tolls, the Lodge conducts a charming ceremonial known as the "Eleven O'clock Toast." In fact, the clock tolling the eleventh hour is part of the BPOE official emblem, and is directly behind the representation of an elk's head in the emblem of the Order.

IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
Dan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”