Columbia SA40 Bowie

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
old4570

Columbia SA40 Bowie

Post by old4570 »

I have seen this knife on FeeBay quite a bit and the price is low .. ::hmm::
Screenshot (145).jpg
::huff:: yeah , that's a low price alright !

Story time !

This knife looks amazing ! It really looks ::ds::
And I thought , no way is this knife that nice in the flesh . So I coughed up some money just to find out what $45 ozzi bananas gets you shipped to your door . I mean , how bad could it possibly be ? ::super_happy::

The grind was probably the only thing worth complaining about , it was not the best . The sheath is complete rubbish , maybe some one spent one dollar on it ? . But you know what , ill take it .
No , not the sheath - The knife !
I put a 22deg 180 grit guided diamond cut edge on the knife and to be honest I did a bit of a Mikey Mouse job of it cos the grind was a little ?
I may have been a little generous with the paper test , but I had been cutting a lot of rope that morning . I had not eaten anything and this was the last knife being tested , so my hands were some what fatigued . Controlling such a sizable knife was challenging in the circumstances . So call it where you want , thats why I do video . I stopped at 300 as thats where the knife no longer wanted to slice paper .

I have since put a fresh edge on it with the whetstone grinder / knife sharpener and the factory grind was very questionable . So hopefully soon I will cut rope again . As is , I think I got a lot of knife for my money .
Before I forget , what steel is this ?
old4570

Re: Columbia SA40 Bowie

Post by old4570 »

It took a while - But Im back ! With the Columbia SA40 .

Knife has a whetstone grinder edge . ::super_happy::
And it reached 500 slices of rope . ::ds::

Seriously , how the heck does a budget brand do so well ?
Both my SA39 made the 500 club , and now the SA40 . ::handshake:: ( Actually I am happy about that )

Return to “General Knife Discussion”