TwoSun TS123 M390 slip joint

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
old4570

TwoSun TS123 M390 slip joint

Post by old4570 »

180 Grit 22 degree guided edge - 150 slices of rope .
This is my go to edge and it simply fails to perform . Sharpening the TS123 , the steel did feel really soft . The 180 grit diamond ate the steel like a hungry man eats a sandwich . I have to be honest and say I really did feel disappointed at this point , I had no plans to put an edge on this knife with the whetstone grinder , but at this point I felt I had nothing to lose .

Whetstone Grinder / Knife Sharpener Edge
I just don't know what to say ?
A) This edge is rough and not paper friendly at all , on other things though ! Flesh / cardboard / rope and such , it is very slicy dicey . I have accidently , lightly brushed a finger against this edge and there was no escape . The result was a sliced finger .
B) It is some what subjective - Paper cut test - when a fresh edge cuts paper so poorly ! How do you call it ?
C) That's why I put it on video , that way the viewer can call it where ever they like .
D) I got to 600 slices . Yeah , that's crazy . Especially when the steel is so soft . I am going to test that grind profile on another knife ( CH3509 )
E) I actually did change the grind profile from what I normally do , so that will need re testing with another knife .

TwoSun TS123 -
It did perform very ordinary on the factory edge and my go to 180 grit diamond cut 22deg edge . I have another TwoSun ready to rock N roll with the old ground edge and what I might do is after testing it , switch over to this new grind profile and see what's ?
The TS123 . Simply feels great / Looks great / great walk and talk / nothing to complain about except the edge profile having a dip in it . Was it some one falling asleep at the grinder or is it supposed to be that way ? ( Don't like it )
If I had to score the TS123 on everything but the blade , I would call it at 9/10 . The blade is a bit of a question mark . It did not respond to a traditional edge at all and only seemed to work with an experimental grind profile off the whetstone grinder . Oh dear oh dear !

Guided Knife Sharpener / 180 grit 22 degree ( 800 grit de bur )
At 150 slices , this is simply a failing mark for M390 . What was the cause for this failure ? The knife was sharp , there was no bur and the edge did not roll . And the steel did feel rather soft when sharpening . Certainly I would call the knife bad if I had stopped here . On decent D2 this edge has done 450 .

More Edge Testing
So it looks like this knife just really liked the Whetstone Grinder / Knife Sharpener . I put the same / similar edge on my disappointing CH3509 and it was still seriously disappointing . ( 100 FAIL ) Interesting ! I guess it pays to try more than one way of putting down an edge .
kootenay joe

Re: TwoSun TS123 M390 slip joint

Post by kootenay joe »

old4570, excellent work on your part to make such an informative post. Thank you.
The 'dip' in the blade profile is what is called a "recurve" and is seen on many knives. I do not understand the purpose of a recurve profile and it does make sharpening more difficult.
I am surprised to learn that the M390 steel blade is so soft when you sharpen it. And why it cannot cut paper but does cut flesh and rope i also do not understand. It could be that paper requires a more polished smooth edge whereas other materials are more easily cut with a more 'toothy' edge ?
Would be helpful to hear from others who specialize in blade sharpening as they might be able to explain your findings.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I EDC, use, have sharpened and love my Hinderer XM-18 3 in M390. This year I have EDCed it far more than any other knife I own, just picked it up around Christmas. My first M390 was a Kershaw Link 1870BLKBW that I carried from around the 4th of July 2020 for most of the year.

Not disappointed in either of these knives.
Attachments
16183668509154123368866490704253.jpg
16183668834256286660843402481460.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
old4570

Post by old4570 »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:35 pm old4570, excellent work on your part to make such an informative post. Thank you.
The 'dip' in the blade profile is what is called a "recurve" and is seen on many knives. I do not understand the purpose of a recurve profile and it does make sharpening more difficult.
I am surprised to learn that the M390 steel blade is so soft when you sharpen it. And why it cannot cut paper but does cut flesh and rope i also do not understand. It could be that paper requires a more polished smooth edge whereas other materials are more easily cut with a more 'toothy' edge ?
Would be helpful to hear from others who specialize in blade sharpening as they might be able to explain your findings.
kj
Hardness I cant speak for !
But as for the paper , it is a course edge . Think Ginsu .. Paper is compressed fibre , so the course edge catches the fibre .
And as the edge wears ( becomes more blunt ) , it catches those fibres even better . But , it is still a sharp edge that cuts other materials really well . Like flesh ( dead or alive ) , rope , cardboard and such .
So for what ever reason , this knife steel really likes that edge .
I have another M390 from TwoSun on the way as well another D2 . So we will see what happens .
I posted a video somewhere of the ground edge and what it looks like under magnification .

Remember - Magnification is over 100x ( You can see how course flat polished steel looks like in the video )

Return to “General Knife Discussion”