Broken pen blade,broke in half,clean brake,what to use to get back together

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
maverick

Broken pen blade,broke in half,clean brake,what to use to get back together

Post by maverick »

Pocket knife pen blade snapped in half ,what to use to get back together
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Broken pen blade,broke in half,clean brake,what to use to get back together

Post by btrwtr »

Would be better to find a replacement blade. Can you post pictures of the knife?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
maverick

Post by maverick »

Have not seen on sight how to post pics,the blade in question is on a fly lock challenge knife
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

When you make a post, there is a tab below the text input box that says "Attachments". Click on that and then on "Add files".

Or else you can click and drag the photos from another app directly into the text box.
Brent
dsutton24

Post by dsutton24 »

You have four reasonable solutions:

1. Ignore it.
2. Find an intact blade and have someone replace the broken blade.
3. Find someone who can weld the broken blade back together. An expensive proposition that seldom yields a good result.
4. Have someone delete the broken blade.

It's not a valuable knife. If it has sentimental value I'd just leave it alone. Unless you're willing to spend a lot of money and can find someone who can do the work well you run the risk of ending up with a mess.
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

Most of your options are covered above but it really depends on the value you place on the knife as mentioned and If it's something you are set on repairing.

If just a cosmetic repair, meaning you just want it to look complete and be able to pull that blade open, I might try flux soldering before welding, a weld would be obviously stronger, but also probably a mess with considerable grinding to do. Depending on the thickness of the blade, I'd be tempted to try something like a biscuit join too along with soldering, but that might be experimental (hence kind of interesting).

Best option, replace the blade.
Another alternative though, if there is enough blade left, shape it into a different blade or tool (pick, awl, nail cleaner, whatever) that satisfies your aesthetic.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

If it's worth the money for repairing, Gary (gclaxon) welds blades back together. Shoot him a PM if it's worth doing. He does excellent work but you have to be patient. 😉

Gary welded this one.
Attachments
IMG_20221222_081342511.jpg
IMG_20190731_201134286.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I'm curious, does Gary mark the knives that he refurbishes in any way? What's to prevent someone from nefariously passing a knife with a welded blade off as an original? I know folks like Glenn mark the inside of the liners on knives they work on for just this reason.

Eric
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

ea42 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:29 pm I'm curious, does Gary mark the knives that he refurbishes in any way? What's to prevent someone from nefariously passing a knife with a welded blade off as an original? I know folks like Glenn mark the inside of the liners on knives they work on for just this reason.

Eric

I do not see any marks, Eric, except for lateral grind marks. I don't sell knives and rarely trade, this is not one I would even trade. When I'm 6' under who knows what will happen to it? ::shrug:: Maybe I'll have it in my pocket then.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ea42

Post by ea42 »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:41 am
ea42 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:29 pm I'm curious, does Gary mark the knives that he refurbishes in any way? What's to prevent someone from nefariously passing a knife with a welded blade off as an original? I know folks like Glenn mark the inside of the liners on knives they work on for just this reason.

Eric

I do not see any marks, Eric, except for lateral grind marks. I don't sell knives and rarely trade, this is not one I would even trade. When I'm 6' under who knows what will happen to it? ::shrug:: Maybe I'll have it in my pocket then.
RR I definitely wasn't referring to you as being nefarious LOL. But there are sure enough folks out there who'd love to pass off a refurbished knife as original, I've seen it far too often. Many of them are the actual repairmen! I just think folks who do that kind of work should make some kind of mark on the liners or blade to make it clear that the knife has been worked on. It would sure help any future collectors out.

Eric
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

ea42 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:15 pm
1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:41 am

Eric

RR I definitely wasn't referring to you as being nefarious LOL. But there are sure enough folks out there who'd love to pass off a refurbished knife as original, I've seen it far too often. Many of them are the actual repairmen! I just think folks who do that kind of work should make some kind of mark on the liners or blade to make it clear that the knife has been worked on. It would sure help any future collectors out.

Eric

I got ya, no worries. I think once upon a time there was a thread on Responsible Knife Repair or something to that effect.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”