Knife Identification

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
KnifeProPlus

Knife Identification

Post by KnifeProPlus »

Does anyone know the type of knife this is and what's its application?
Attachments
Do you recognize this knife?
Do you recognize this knife?
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife Identification

Post by treefarmer »

The round pointed blade is called a spike. It is for making hitches/knots, undoing knots in ropes, the other blade in the frame would be a rope knife, obviously to cut rope. Have seen them called several things, boat knife, sailing knife and of course a Marlin Spike. Handy to have around when dealing with some of the nylon straps that come in handy around the place.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK, KPP! ::handshake::
Nice "Spike" you have there! ::nod::
8)
8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

If it has no mark,it's probably Asian. There's a ton of them around. Some are etched "China" very faintly and easily rubbed off. Cheap trick to disguise their origin. J.O'.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

R. Murphy Yachtsman, made in England, probably by the same people who make Captain Currey. I bought an identical one from them 3-4 years ago. The last of them were completely unmarked.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:55 am R. Murphy Yachtsman, made in England, probably by the same people who make Captain Currey. I bought an identical one from them 3-4 years ago. The last of them were completely unmarked.
Good job Cody
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Cody, I don't dispute your identification. I'm just wondering what features lead you to it? I really like"yachties" and I got burned on a Chinese Utica and I see other Chinese pieces around. I have a Curry but it's a more elaborate design than the one shown. . Thanks for your expertise. J.O'.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

KnifeProPlus

Post by KnifeProPlus »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:41 pm The round pointed blade is called a spike. It is for making hitches/knots, undoing knots in ropes, the other blade in the frame would be a rope knife, obviously to cut rope. Have seen them called several things, boat knife, sailing knife and of course a Marlin Spike. Handy to have around when dealing with some of the nylon straps that come in handy around the place.
Treefarmer
Thanks
KnifeProPlus

Post by KnifeProPlus »

Thanks everyone for your input. But we have a winner. I'm a knife salesman and I live 5 miles from the Dexter Russell factory. Dexter Russell bought R. Murphy Knife a few years ago. All manufacturing is being done at Dexter now and all their inventory is at the Dexter factory now. Unless it's a knife they purchase from another manufacturer, which I suspect is the case with this one.
THe man at the Dexter Factory was stumped as to what the knife was. That's because he's only really familiar with Dexter Russell knives. So, edge213, I will take you at your word that the knife was made in England. It does not have a manufacturers name or location of manufacture on it. Nor does it say "Yachtsman" on it. Thanks for ID'ing it as an R Murphy Yachtsman sailors/knot knife. I bought 2 of them when I found them and I'm going to sell them on ebay.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

JMHO. I'm sticking with China. For $12 ? From England ? No marks at all? Can you give us some clearer pics from different angles? J.O.
KnifeProPlus

Post by KnifeProPlus »

The thing is, I found it in a storage room at the Dexter Russell Factory. And Dexter now owns R Murphy and has all the inventory that was at the Murphy factory in their possession. I mean, they own Murphy, I'm sticking with the Murphy theory. As for the price, it lists for $19.95 and it was on sale for $12. Plus, it's not in any of the Murphy catalogs that I own and they go back 5 years. So, it would have been less expensive depending on how far back it goes. It's not on the online Murphy web site. It's not an Asian knockoff. for sure. I can tell inexpensive Asian from better knives.
Attachments
IMG_20230605_174407761.jpg
IMG_20230605_174553695.jpg
IMG_20230605_174354863.jpg
IMG_20230605_174412253.jpg
IMG_20230605_174415486.jpg
IMG_20230605_174448082.jpg
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I'm certainly not trying to convince you or win any arguments. My points are just for discussion. I've just never seen a British made knife, unmarked and for sale, new for $20. ::shrug:: I wish you good luck with it. J.O'.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

KnifeProPlus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:27 pm Thanks everyone for your input. But we have a winner. I'm a knife salesman and I live 5 miles from the Dexter Russell factory. Dexter Russell bought R. Murphy Knife a few years ago. All manufacturing is being done at Dexter now and all their inventory is at the Dexter factory now. Unless it's a knife they purchase from another manufacturer, which I suspect is the case with this one.
THe man at the Dexter Factory was stumped as to what the knife was. That's because he's only really familiar with Dexter Russell knives. So, edge213, I will take you at your word that the knife was made in England. It does not have a manufacturers name or location of manufacture on it. Nor does it say "Yachtsman" on it. Thanks for ID'ing it as an R Murphy Yachtsman sailors/knot knife. I bought 2 of them when I found them and I'm going to sell them on ebay.

Just to be clear. It was cody6268 that figured this out, not me.
I have no idea about this knife. I was just congratulating him on identifying this one.
Sometimes on here guys "spitball", then others come up with the answer.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
KnifeProPlus

Post by KnifeProPlus »

Ok I got you. Thanks for telling me that.
KnifeProPlus

Post by KnifeProPlus »

Ridgegrass wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:00 am I'm certainly not trying to convince you or win any arguments. My points are just for discussion. I've just never seen a British made knife, unmarked and for sale, new for $20. ::shrug:: I wish you good luck with it. J.O'.
Sorry, I gave you the impression I was being confrontational. I did not intend to sound that way. And you have VERY valid points about it's worth. It's unmarked, so that's the first valid concern. So it could very well be imported from Asia by Murphy or anyone else. I do appreciate your input and the input from everyone who responded. This is a great community. I had no idea what it was and at least I know what it is and its function. Where it was manufactured or its worth remains to be somewhat unknown.
Thanks again,
Lou
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Never a problem. We all in this together. ::handshake:: J.O'.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FWIW the knife is somewhat similar to this one, according to Sargent’s made by Case 1948-1952 for the Canadian military. The Case version had a can opener however, in addition to the marling (aka marlin) spike and master blade. Just for reference here’s mine, in well-used condition.

Ken
Attachments
IMG_5611.jpeg
IMG_5611.jpeg (33.91 KiB) Viewed 700 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KnifeProPlus

Post by KnifeProPlus »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:58 pm FWIW the knife is somewhat similar to this one, according to Sargent’s made by Case 1948-1952 for the Canadian military. The Case version had a can opener however, in addition to the marling (aka marlin) spike and master blade. Just for reference here’s mine, in well-used condition.

Ken
That is very similar. Thanks for your input.
Lou
KnifeProPlus

Post by KnifeProPlus »

KnifeProPlus wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:44 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:58 pm FWIW the knife is somewhat similar to this one, according to Sargent’s made by Case 1948-1952 for the Canadian military. The Case version had a can opener however, in addition to the marling (aka marlin) spike and master blade. Just for reference here’s mine, in well-used condition.

Ken
That is very similar. Thanks for your input.
Lou
The small blade on the end looks like it could be an oyster shucker or even a clam opener. Of course it could be for any number of tasks.
Lou
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Case had a "branch" called, METAL STAMPINGS LTD.XX in Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada, that supplied those "Sailors'" and "Aircrew" knives to the Canadian military.1948-1950's. (Ref: Levine's Guide, 3rd Edit.) The short blade is a can opener. The knife has high value. The pic below is c.1993 J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_5657.jpg
3030remchesterCOLO

Post by 3030remchesterCOLO »

I live as far from sailing as a man can get so take that into consideration when reading the remainder of my post. For years I have heard that because of long voyages in cramped quarters, fighting among the men was common. Not having extra hands to replace any that stopped breathing after holes were poked into a shipmate and copious amounts of blood leaked on the deck, pointed bladed knives were not allowed to cut down of these incidents. Wives' tale??? Also, I heard, and makes since to me, that the spline of the knife was built heavy so to aid in cutting wet rope. This was accomplished by laying said rope to be cut, upon a railing, laying the blade across the rope and then using a belaying pin to hammer through the wet rope. Again, wife's tales? I do know wet manilla rope if extra tough to cut the convention way.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I've always heard the exact same stories. A slash is as good as a stab, maybe worse. ::shrug:: J.O'.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ve heard the same about cutting rope, and the marling spike is no doubt made for working with rope and knots. The fighting/stabbing theory is a new one to me. Why wouldn’t the same fighting and stabbing risk be true of the spike??

I’ve always thought, and heard, the sheepfoot shape was conducive to balaying, and also unlikely to puncture a hole into a raft should one be used. A sharp point like that on a clip master blade is a definite hazard to a life raft rocking and pitching on the sea. Of course so would the spike, but it would probably be less likely to be in use unless working on a rope. Maybe some sailor who knows will enlighten us!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”