Joseph Rodgers odd blade

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Canadian collector

Joseph Rodgers odd blade

Post by Canadian collector »

Just picked this knife up was thinking its a corn knife? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
20210410_103324_HDR.jpg
Attachments
20210410_103257.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Joseph Rodgers odd blade

Post by doglegg »

That is different, hope someone comes along with an answer. ::tu:: ::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very nice old knife, Canadian collector. ::tu:: Levine calls that a scalpel or spey blade. There is a picture on pg 204 of LGIV of a physician's knife with that as a secondary blade. He calls the knife a "veterinary operating knife".
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

danno50 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:22 pm Very nice old knife, Canadian collector. ::tu:: Levine calls that a scalpel or spey blade. There is a picture on pg 204 of LGIV of a physician's knife with that as a secondary blade. He calls the knife a "veterinary operating knife".
Really ? I cannot see how that blade would be useful in surgery. The curved section, closer to handle, is it thin and sharp ? Does not look to be.
I have seen a somewhat similar blade and the curved part of blade was for cutting off insulation from electrical wires.
kj
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:33 am I have seen a somewhat similar blade and the curved part of blade was for cutting off insulation from electrical wires.
That's where my mind went, too. It looks like an electrician's blade combined with another type.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

That's a new one on me, looks to be very old, I would tend to agree some type of spey blade.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I think the OP was right the first time:it looks like this corn knife.
Attachments
PeresKit099A.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I am just relating the information given in Levine's guide. At the risk of copyright infringement I have posted the pic I am referring to.
Attachments
RIMG2446.JPG
Dan
Mason

Post by Mason »

danno50 is correct that this Rodgers OP knife is a veterinarian model, and used for speying animals. This particular folder is quite an old pattern for Joseph Rodgers which dates from as early as 1865 up until at least 1912 with the same model number of 333. Enclosed is a catalog illustration of the Rodgers knife along with a similar example of a knife offered from Jno. Baker from 1924 as shown in their veterinarian section of knives.
Attachments
Rodgers Spey 333.jpg
Baker Spey 457.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mason wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:28 pm danno50 is correct that this Rodgers OP knife is a veterinarian model, and used for speying animals. This particular folder is quite an old pattern for Joseph Rodgers which dates from as early as 1865 up until at least 1912 with the same model number of 333. Enclosed is a catalog illustration of the Rodgers knife along with a similar example of a knife offered from Jno. Baker from 1924 as shown in their veterinarian section of knives.
Thanks for researching that and posting the catalog pic. I stand corrected. :oops:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Thanks for posting those catalog pics, Mason. ::tu::
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dan, i was not questioning your reporting of what Levine said, i was questioning 'is Levine correct'.
As Mason has posted the old Jos. Rodgers catalog pictures and text stating "Veterinarian knife" then Levine is correct.
I don't understand the purpose of this blade, i.e. what surgical 'thing' is it useful for ?
The proximal part of blade has a long concave area. Is this sharp ? or is the edge actually flat ?
A similar area on a Corn knife is used i believe to scrape off layers of dead skin from a corn or callous. Maybe on OP knife it is to scrape off dead areas on hooves ? I don't know if this is something that actually ever needs to be done but we do have a "sheepsfoot blade" so presumably hooves do need some cutting at times ? Someone here must have experience looking after hoofed animals so please post about this.
kj
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

No problem, Roland, I knew your were questioning Levine, not me.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

danno50 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:12 pm No problem, Roland, I knew your were questioning Levine, not me.
Thanks Dan. I hope someone will reply explaining what procedure this blade was intended for as i outline in my post above. Just saying "veterinarian use' does not explain it's function.
kj
Canadian collector

Post by Canadian collector »

Thanks for all the info I can always count on aapk for help. The first part of the blade is not sharp at all and is quite thick.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Canadian collector wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:02 pm Thanks for all the info I can always count on aapk for help. The first part of the blade is not sharp at all and is quite thick.
As the proximal curved part of the blade is "thick" not sharp then likely it is for scraping a surface, like a callus or hoof ?
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”