BUFFALO CUTLERY CO. ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
jands40

BUFFALO CUTLERY CO. ?

Post by jands40 »

Hi All,
I just got an old 2 blade jack knife with the tang on master blade marked BUFFALO CUTLERY CO. The word Buffalo is arched. Master blade is a sheepsfoot, secondary pen blade is broken. It seems to be a very well made knife with nice jigged bone scales, nickle silver bolsters and pins, and brass liners. Both blades have great snap. I do not have a Levines book and am unable to find any information on this company. I'm thinking of having the broken blade replaced. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jerry
RobesonsRme.com

Re: BUFFALO CUTLERY CO. ?

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Voyles lists the brand, but provides no information.
Goins says only, "1900-1920".
Levine suggests, but does not confirm, a connection to Buffalo Wholesale Hardware Company in Buffalo, New York, with dates of 1903-19??.
Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jands40

Post by jands40 »

Thanks Charlie.
GreatScout

Post by GreatScout »

The C. Houston Price guide to collector knives lists Buffalo Cut. Company as a brand of Buffalo Wholesale Hardware Co. c. 1915, and the knives being made in Germany.

Ritchie and Stewarts 'Standard Knife Collector's Guide' just has a bare mention of the brand.

I have had a bit of luck using historical societies to explore old brands. These societies are staffed, usually, with very dedicated volunteers who enjoy researching. They may even appreciate your knife as a gift, and reward you with a mention of your name in the display. I have donated knives to a couple of such things, the people are very grateful.

http://www.bechs.org/

Although you do not ask, I would strongly object to changing out the broken blade. You would not increase any $ value of the knife and you'd be destroying the historical value of it.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I have seen and owned several knives marked "Buffalo Cut Co."

The few that I have seen had tooling/design/bone/jigging that that led me to believe that the knives were made by Schrade (pre WWII years). I have seen some examples with a shield in the shape of a diamond (the same as would be seen on Diamond Edge pocket knives, but blank).
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

I believe that they were a firm that would buy factory seconds, grind off the original tang stamping, refurbish, restamp and resell the knives. Many were Schrade factory seconds but I have seen other brands used as well.
KNFCOLLECTOR
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

This one was a schrade
Attachments
IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1440.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I don't know if this is the same company or not but I have two fixed blades of vastly different ages marked with the Buffalo brand. One is a bread knife that dates to around 1900 or maybe slightly before(handle is marked,"made with pure aluminum")and the other is a hunter marked "Buffalo Brand" on one side and RU-KO Solingen on the other.Looks like a 1950's era knife.
Attachments
BuffaloKnife1.jpg
BuffaloKnife2.jpg
RU-KO BuffaloBrandKnife 2 002.jpg
RU-KOBuffaloBrand.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”