Herrick Hardware; Waco, Texas.

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Joe Dirt

Re: Herrick Hardware; Waco, Texas.

Post by Joe Dirt »

O.K. folks, here's the PAXTON stamp all cleaned up.
The cleaning efforts were all in vain as to reading the stamp more clearly -
Now I've got shinny rust pits!
The first pic I posted is more legible. ::shrug::

Anyhow, the stamp is a straight line stamp on 4 lines.
It's different than the other stamp with the curved stamp:

PAXTON
AND
GALLAGHER CO.
OMAHA

..... Joe
Attachments
PAXTON AND GALLAGHER CO. OMAHA.JPG
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Okay, the Pine Knot discussion has been over for a couple of months but I stumbled across this eBay listing and remembered this thread. Can anyone tell me what's up with this "Pine Knot" knife? (Yeah, I see it's doodlefroodle ::shrug:: )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NM-VINTAGE-80S- ... 4ab1af2b8e

The knife looks like a Schrade to me.
Attachments
Pine Knot.jpg
Pine Knot Tang Stamp.jpg
Pine Knot Patent Stamp.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I don't know who made them; it might have been Camillus or Schrade, but the knives are legitimate Pine Knot knives made for Belknap Hardware in the last few years leading up to their being bought out by Ace Hardware. I think that occurred about 1988 or 89.

You'll see them in black and yellow handles; might have been some other colors, I'm not sure.

I've also seen similar stock knives with a red/oxblood colored bone and a round Belknap shield, and they were all stamped "Primble" or "Belknap". There were some other patterns similarly made at that time.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's one I bought from SMKW sometime in the eightys. There are better built knives.
Mine is 4".
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (46.02 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (46.2 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
008.JPG
009.JPG
Joe
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NM-VINTAGE-80S- ... m4ab1af2b8

Made by Colonial for SMKW in the late 80's or 90's.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks fellas. It's enticing. I may be turning into a tang stamp collector with no focus. :)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

i loved reading this entire tread, even the slight meanderings were entertaining.
sad to see that even some of the more knowledgeble people get the lights dimmed at times. but it is what brings topics like this to the forefront. i know for darn sure that i own a few unscrupulus reproductions. but i probably will never know which ones unless i see something similar in discussions like this one.
a big thumbs up to everyone here ::tu:: , thanks for the article
btw, at least doodlefroodle, what a name, said in his knife marquee that it is a 80's pine knot.
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

msteele6 wrote:dcgm4,

Here is a picture of my Paxton & Gallagher congress jack. I decided to throw in a couple of other knives. The Eureka jack is marked Shapleigh and I have seen others exactly like it.
The top knife is marked Utica in a straight line. I'm not quite sure if it is a reproduction (fake) although I think that it is. If anyone knows for sure I would appreciate them telling me.

Thanks

Mark Steele

P.S. this is the first picture I've uploaded that I actually took myself so please forgive the quality (my Blackberry). If you click on the picture it enlarges fairly nicely.

MS
MS, I have a Utica equal end knife with wood handles that has the same spear blade and a straight line tang stamp as your Utica marked jack knife. IMHO the blade is real, the rest of the knife might be faked, I don't know so I can't say for sure. Maybe they used a real Utica blade and put it in a different frame? Of coarse there's also the chance that Utica used the same spear blade in some of their different pattern knives. ::shrug::

Aimus
Attachments
VariousReproductions.jpg
VariousReproductions.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Utica equal end.jpg
Utica equal end.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Resurrecting this old but very pertinent post. Fake knives like the OP and many others posted here have been around for some time now. I have my ideas of where they came from but the fact that they do exist in the market place is the important factor. There are several popular patterns and brand names some of which have been posted here.

Here is a brother to the fake OP Herrick that is currently for sale on eBay. Nice looking knife but not old or original to Herrick Hardware. Doesn't look like anyone has taken the bait yet. Could have been some offers though.

Take a close look as all of these fakes I have seen have that looks new is new appearance to them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-HERRICK-HD ... SwOVpXdv6N
Attachments
herrick a.jpg
herrick b.jpg
herrick c.jpg
herrick d.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks for posting on this old thread, Wayne.
Another interesting Herrick Hardware stamp. And a pricey one too ............
I wonder if the seller is a AAPK member.
Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Obscure hardware stamping in an arch on tang: i have at least 2 'mint' faked knives that have these 2 features (obscure hardware name & arched stamping). I have read other posts of fake knives with these 2 features. Likely all made by the same 'bucket guy', who shows up at east coast knife shows with the knives he has made in a bucket. So be VERY suspicious any time you see a minty knife with an arched stamping of a hardware company name.
kj
edit to add: here are 3 fakes with arched stampings although only one is a hardware stamping (Henckle & Joyce Hardware).
http://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_f ... es#p508911
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, kj.
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Wayne thanks for resurrecting this educational (and entertaining) old thread! I have really enjoyed it but it's kept me from getting some stuff done that I really need to be doing. ::smack:: :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
wlf

Post by wlf »

I didn't read the entire thread, so this may be information repeated.It's a great knife Wayne,but as you and others,I expect it is not as old as it should be.

I may be wrong, but if I remember right one fellow got a lot of the leftovers from the Utica factory. I have bought two,the first as a beginner, and the second as a novelty. He is a pretty good cutler,albeit in the dark. I don't know if this is one of his,but I wouldn't have expected blade rub on a three backspring,although I guess it could happen.

I asked him on the last one and he told me it was a parts knife,supposedly a legitimate pattern. Pete Cohan told me about the first knife,he knew exactly who made it.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The seller is an AAPK member and he has relisted the knife with the caveat that he has been told it's counterfeit. Dropped the price to $100.00.
Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's really nice to know. ::tu:: ::ds:: ::handshake::
Good ol' AAPK. ::tu::
Joe
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not everyone that sells a bad knife is a bad seller as see here and as we have seen time and time again on AAPK. Some sellers refuse to listen to or do anything that could cost them a dime. Some sellers do what is right and there is a big difference between the two. ::tu::
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I wouldn't give him too much credit for dropping his starting bid to $100.The guy is a knife dealer and should know better.
Roger
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The knife has been relisted with a $ 9.99 opening bid and no mention that it is a fake.
Roger
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

He is an AAPK member, he's aware of and has read this thread, so he's apparently less than honest, is he not?
Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

wlf wrote: I may be wrong, but if I remember right one fellow got a lot of the leftovers from the Utica factory. I have bought two,the first as a beginner, and the second as a novelty. He is a pretty good cutler,albeit in the dark. I don't know if this is one of his,but I wouldn't have expected blade rub on a three backspring,although I guess it could happen.

I asked him on the last one and he told me it was a parts knife,supposedly a legitimate pattern. Pete Cohan told me about the first knife,he knew exactly who made it.
I used to have the name of the man who put those together but in my advancing years cannot call it right now. Actually, he does a decent job on his knives and used to set up at shows. Seems like I ran into him at the Parker Show in Pigeon Forge.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
wlf

Post by wlf »

Yep his first name is Ken,I don't know how to spell his last name.That's where I met him.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

You can add me to the naive and let down-- just picked up a congress pattern with a "Herrick Hardware Co." tangstamp and a sort of badge/bowtie shield in very good shape. After reading this thread I'm guessing it's a "parts knife".

Ah well, live & learn. Knife collecting is a full contact sport. Now I'm worried my gorgeous Bridge cigar is a "reproduction".
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Xyphos wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:05 pm You can add me to the naive and let down-- just picked up a congress pattern with a "Herrick Hardware Co." tangstamp and a sort of badge/bowtie shield in very good shape. After reading this thread I'm guessing it's a "parts knife".

Ah well, live & learn. Knife collecting is a full contact sport. Now I'm worried my gorgeous Bridge cigar is a "reproduction".
Xy,,,
I'd suggest you start your own new thread and give up photos. I suspect you'll find out about those knives. Might be good news.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

^ Thank you, maybe I will.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”