Another "Troll" knife from Germany- any info on maker?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
trutemper

Another "Troll" knife from Germany- any info on maker?

Post by trutemper »

Howdy again folks....been workin my tail off and havent had time to play here much but ran into a "Troll" knife from Germany. I remember Oman had one in the "one hit wonder" section a while back and was wondering if anyone had any info on this knifemaker and approx how old it might be etc.....photos attached. 3 and 3/8ths closed...nice bone...pretty well made.

Bob
Attachments
tr1.jpg
tr2.jpg
tr3.jpg
tr7.jpg
Old Hunter

Re: Another "Troll" knife from Germany- any info on maker?

Post by Old Hunter »

Bob, sorry, I know nothing about Troll - but I do admire classic design when I see it and your Troll possesses that in spades - very nice! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

bob, the book i have with troll is goins. but thats all it has, troll germany. no date or info ::shrug:: . here is one i have in the easy open pattern. it is in good condition. i'd would also like to know its aprox age and maker info also.
002.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hot dang! Chet, I'll give you a dollar and pay the shipping for that old thing. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

jerryd6818 wrote:Hot dang! Chet, I'll give you a dollar and pay the shipping for that old thing. :mrgreen:
i'll just bet you would :lol: i'll leave it to you in my will along with the other german easy opens that have that inscription on the blade ::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Levine's has Troll listed: says "export brand? c.1920s.
Dan
Dan
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Dang Chet, thats a real beauty! She looks a whole lot like the Troll that Oman posted in the "one hit wonder" topic started a few months back. I find it interesting that the jigging pattern on all 3 of these knives are very similar and remind me a lot of some of those real early Walden knives and Keen Kutters, maybe this German maker liked their pattern and copied it a bit.....just an observation to ponder. I do hope that someone can track down info on this maker.....the name "Troll" in itself is quite interesting too. I may have to look up German surnames to see if that might lead somewhere.....anyone with other ideas to track this brand????

Bob
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Thanks for that info Danno.....at least we have a general time frame....about the same time Walden Knife Company was bought out I think.

Bob
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Thanks for the nice compliment on the knife OH.....that old Buck you have there looks pretty fine too. Buck certainly made a very very good knife(havent handled any in 20 years so dont know much about the newer ones). I think their steel takes a little longer for me to sharpen than most brands but man do they hold an edge.....probably none better in that respect. I`ve been looking for a good older Buck to carry. I remember one I had years ago that was just one heck of a knife and I lost it one day when I was out fishing when I dropped it over the side of the boat when I was cutting the line with a big old Northern Pike attached(laughs).....I didnt want to have to try to dig the hooks out of that old saber toothed critter very much so I was trying to cut the line with him thrashing about and the knife slipped right out of my hands!......my fishin buddy about laughed his rear end off as I set there a bit stupified....good old memories.....

Bob
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

WOW!! Those are both dandies and would be on my watch list for sure ::tu:: ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Hi TJ, I`m still working on paying off some hospital bills so if you`d like to make an offer on my Troll knife PM me and maybe we can come up with something agreeable.

Bob
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

PM Sent ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Bob, thanks for the compliments on my Buck - it was my third pocketknife, a Camillus made Buck, got it when I was a teenager as a birthday gift from my Grandma. Luckily Buck either had made, or has made, lots of knives - used ones in good condition are pretty easy to find in the common patterns (301, 303 as examples). I only own one Buck made 300 series, a 309 Whittler; I prefer the black plastic that was in the handles of the older Schrade/Camillus knives over the current knives (the older handles feel "slicker" to me), but the modern steel seems fine to me. OH

Ps You will find some Buck's for sale here in the AAPK stores and of course on e-bay.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Thanks OH, yes, I`ve been pondering a few of those posted here. It`s funny though....I have an odd propensity to purchase knives that I just "run into"(as if it was meant to be...I know thats absurd :) ) over knives that I "look for".

Bob
Tortoiseshell

Post by Tortoiseshell »

Here’s my troll
Attachments
Here’s my troll
Here’s my troll
7BE0FC36-D24A-4B74-BE6A-026E95CA48CD.png
3423A684-BBE3-4D99-A11E-DD60FE21EC29.png
A523F637-342A-40F0-9121-E343512B5428.png
FF9D2474-1E6F-4AFD-9AE2-849EEFA5AADB.png
C7128665-EE4C-46FB-8738-41AEF33A26E7.png
F6D1F2BE-83C7-4F10-90E5-8B25578CAA56.jpeg
E00636FD-3D4B-4FCC-98F0-E00EC77737B7.jpeg
Tortoiseshell

Post by Tortoiseshell »

Would like to have an idea on value I have Never seen another one please and thanks
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for posting your knife, and resurrecting this old thread. First one I’ve ever heard of. ::shrug:: Value is likely very low, maybe $10-$20 at best. Rare does not equate to valuable - for an item to be valuable there has to be demand. Very few people collect German made knives.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
just bob

Post by just bob »

Very few people collect German made knives.

Ken

Funny I thought German Eye. Boker, Bulldog, Fight'n Rooster, Voss, Wade & Butcher, Schmidt & Ziegler, etc. , etc., etc. were all highly collectable? They seem to do well on Ebay?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

just bob wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:05 pm Very few people collect German made knives.

Ken

Funny I thought German Eye. Boker, Bulldog, Fight'n Rooster, Voss, Wade & Butcher, Schmidt & Ziegler, etc. , etc., etc. were all highly collectable? They seem to do well on Ebay?
Good point. There are notable exceptions. I should know by now not to make statements in the absolute. :lol:

So how much do YOU think the little Troll Germany branded pen is worth?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

just bob

Post by just bob »

I have no idea at all and that is why I did not comment on the OP. A wise man once said;

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

:lol: You’re welcome to your opinion. ::not_worthy::

BTW, the “OP” knife (the post from 2012) with bone handles, and the easy opener shown a couple of posts below it, in my opinion would be worth more than the synthetic-handled pen. I guess that makes me a bigger fool. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

There is no listing for Troll in Carter's guide to German knife makers.
Dan
just bob

Post by just bob »

For what it's worth. I never called anyone a fool, never have, and never will. I'm a born again Christian and am aware of the serious condemnation for that act;

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt is attributed to Abraham Lincoln. An eloquent politician gifted with a wit as sharp as a razor who was often able to tongue tie his adversaries without raising his voice. There is wisdom in them for anyone that wishes to study and apply them.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”