Rather & Co. Gunstock whittler?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Rather & Co. Gunstock whittler?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Picked up this gunstock whittler a while back, but can't find much about it. Blades are marked Rather & Co., master blade has crossed swords mark followed by ACIER SUPERFINE, over RATHER. I know acier is French word for "steel". Knife construction looks old, possibly English? Goins lists Rather & Co. marking but has no other information. What do you think? Would appreciate any info.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rather & Co. Gunstock whittler?

Post by btrwtr »

Ken, I think the "Acier Superfine" refers to the blades being Cast Steel. A pretty early celluloid by the looks of it.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Wayne, thanks for looking, and for the feedback. Did quite a lot of research looking for info on Rather & Co. But all I could find is two other sales of their knives, one on Worthpoint of a good looking large two-blade English Jack with bone scales, and the other on eBay (picture no longer available). Both listings were from several years ago. Worthpoint photos weren't very clear but looked like a very old knife and the master blade appears it may have the same crossed swords and acier superfine marks as my whittler. So there are a few of this maker's knives out there, but I still don't really know anything about when or where they operated.

Ken
Attachments
Worthpoint listing, Rather & Co. English jack
Worthpoint listing, Rather & Co. English jack
image.jpg (40.72 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Still haven't found any more information about Rather & Co., but acquired another of their knives. This one is marked the same as the gunstock whittler, including the master blade stamped with crossed swords and "Acier Superfine", but it's a small two-blade pen with either bone or horn scales. I guess now that I have more than one, it's a collection! ::facepalm:: As before, if you know anything about this company please enlighten me.

Ken
Attachments
Rather & Co. Two blade pen, mark side
Rather & Co. Two blade pen, mark side
Rather & Co. Two blade pen, pile side
Rather & Co. Two blade pen, pile side
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice ones Ken,I liked that whittler you posted a lot,nice handles on it.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Lyle. Being a whittler is what attracted me to it at first. Then the unusual scales and a maker I never heard of before, and the blade etch (it's actually stamped, not etched). Still on the scout for info about the maker when I stumbled across the little pen. Has basically the same markings, half-stops on both blades, strong opening and closing snap. The other curious thing is I found both in Texas - not sure if there is any significance to that or not.

Thanks for looking.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

After three years I still don't know anything about Rather & Co. but I acquired another one. This one is a small multi-tool about 3 inches long with MOP scales. I think it's old - probably 19th or early 20th century as it has a buttonhook, and what I think is a tortoiseshell toothpick, and a snuff spoon. Also a comb, scissors, corkscrew, nail file, and several blades. Blades don't appear to have ever been sharpened but it has patina, some light surface rust and the pearl on one side is mostly missing.

I probably overpaid to get it but I now have three of these old and mysterious "Acier Superfine" Rather & Co. knives. These are the seller's pictures.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.75 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (14.48 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A snuff spoon. My Great Grandmother would have loved it. Don't think I've ever seen one on a knife. You have the corner on Rather knives.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Both Voyles IBCA guide, second addition and the C. Houston Price guides list Rather & Co. as Germany.

Not much help, but maybe getcha a little closer.

Good looking knives!

WB
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

doglegg wrote:A snuff spoon. My Great Grandmother would have loved it. Don't think I've ever seen one on a knife. You have the corner on Rather knives.
It isn't a snuff spoon. Wrong orifice. :mrgreen: It is an ear wax spoon;usually part of a manicure set or on those cheap little faux tortoise shell knives from eastern Europe.
I have a similar knife made in Germany.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks WB! ::tu:: None are marked with a country of origin name, but I have thought maybe European because "acier" is French. This newest find has a corkscrew, which is not uncommon on European knives. So Germany would also fit the evidence.

Ear wax spoon makes sense too, given the other grooming tools it has. The corkscrew was likely for opening small jars. Basically it's a grooming kit in a knife. Everything functions as it should, except the buttonhook is slightly bent and therefore doesn't snap properly in its blade well unless guided into place. The knife blades and scissors have half-stops. Instead of having nail nicks, when closed the toothpick and the spoon have tangs that extend slightly beyond the bolsters. The extension acts as a lever or fulcrum for opening those tools, which then must be manually pushed back into their blade well.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

BWT

Post by BWT »

Nice Ken, most people can't find one Rather, and you have three, good going!!!
Bill
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

knife7knut wrote:
doglegg wrote:A snuff spoon. My Great Grandmother would have loved it. Don't think I've ever seen one on a knife. You have the corner on Rather knives.
It isn't a snuff spoon. Wrong orifice. :mrgreen: It is an ear wax spoon;usually part of a manicure set or on those cheap little faux tortoise shell knives from eastern Europe.
I have a similar knife made in Germany.
Well maybe my Great Grandmother would not have loved it. Ear wax spoon, I'm surprised they just didn't use their car key. But I guess if you didn't have a car. I dawdle.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

doglegg wrote: I'm surprised they just didn't use their car key. But I guess if you didn't have a car. I dawdle.
I think you nailed it - when the knife was probably made, folks didn't have cars. And house keys in those days were a little big for sticking into an ear! ::woot::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

:lol: :lol: ::dang::
Mumbleypeg wrote:
doglegg wrote: I'm surprised they just didn't use their car key. But I guess if you didn't have a car. I dawdle.
I think you nailed it - when the knife was probably made, folks didn't have cars. And house keys in those days were a little big for sticking into an ear! ::woot::

Ken
Ken you are a funny man. :lol: ::dang::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The corkscrew was used to open perfume & medicine bottles. Before the advent of screw top caps most glass bottles used corks to seal them. The mustache comb and the button hook(used for both gloves and shoes)would date this to around the 1890's when both were popular. The tabs on top of the small blades were common to a lot of English knives but were used in other countries as well.
Here are two of mine;sadly not in the greatest of shape.
Attachments
Multiblades1 001.jpg
Multiblades1 004.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
big steve

Post by big steve »

I recently picked this Rather & Co knife up. Might be jigged 2nd cut stag or bone.
Attachments
20190613_145351(1).jpg
20190613_145519(1).jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find! Really unusual handle covers, I’m guessing jigged bone but not sure. ::shrug:: Thanks for showing it. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have owned C.F. Kayser knives (Germany) with the same shadow gunstock pattern as the O.P. knife, so i think it is of German origin. The multiblade with grooming tools is similar to knives i have seen marked "Nixdorf" which is now in Austria but was part of Germany over 100 years ago.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”