Case XXX stamping question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
junebug

Re: Case XXX stamping question

Post by junebug »

witness...... it helps none to GUESS a date without a PICTURE....... its all about the STYLE of script etc.....

"I" like ta say : PIX ERRR IT DIDNT HAPPEN ::super_happy:: :lol:
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
wornoutwrench

Post by wornoutwrench »

I used to carry 31048s a lot, the single blade version, and yes the older ones were slimmer at the non-bolster end. I think they got bigger somewhere in the late 70s.
I liked those knives but they are so slim and light they would fall out of my pocket without being noticed and get lost.
I like carrying bigger knives these days.
Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

Not all who disagree with wise men are fools.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Thanks for all the info. I am sure that what I have is a late 70's version. The research on the other 32048s, possibly slimmer, sates they were made around 1960-64.
junebug

Post by junebug »

AGAIN, PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::paranoid:: :mrgreen:
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
laven11

Post by laven11 »

I have a folding hunter 2 blade Circle C 1920 - 1940. It is a xxx How do I post pictures of it ? Thanks
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

laven11 wrote:I have a folding hunter 2 blade Circle C 1920 - 1940. It is a xxx How do I post pictures of it ? Thanks
Here's a link to one "how to" method. http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 98&t=50258 If that doesn't work go to to the AAPK "Forum" page, open the AAPK Tips and Tricks forum. You'll find all sorts of good info there. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Quote from the Case College section of the Case company website: http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/

Has W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company ever made a knife that carried a XXX stamp?

There is a bit of mystery surrounding the “XXX” stamp. This stamp was introduced by James Parker, former owner of our company from 1989-1990. After Jim sold the company to American Brands, he went out on his own and introduced a series of knives that he referred to as the Case Classics. This is one instance where we have seen this stamp used. As for original Case knives, being made in our factory in Bradford, PA, we have not found evidence to support any program introduction or special run of knives with the “XXX” stamp.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Quote from the Case College section of the Case company website: http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/

Has W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company ever made a knife that carried a XXX stamp?

There is a bit of mystery surrounding the “XXX” stamp. This stamp was introduced by James Parker, former owner of our company from 1989-1990. After Jim sold the company to American Brands, he went out on his own and introduced a series of knives that he referred to as the Case Classics. This is one instance where we have seen this stamp used. As for original Case knives, being made in our factory in Bradford, PA, we have not found evidence to support any program introduction or special run of knives with the “XXX” stamp.

Ken
What Case posted is not quite correct. Jim Parker started the Case Classics program while he owned Case, 1989-1990. For one thing, I rememberthat very well. The Case classics are shown and mentioned in the Jim Giles book, published in 1989. For another thing, otherwise how would he have been authorized to use the Case logos and trademarks?
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Quote from the Case College section of the Case company website: http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/

Ken
What Case posted is not quite correct. Jim Parker started the Case Classics program while he owned Case, 1989-1990. For one thing, I rememberthat very well. The Case classics are shown and mentioned in the Jim Giles book, published in 1989. For another thing, otherwise how would he have been authorized to use the Case logos and trademarks?
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Ken
What Case posted is not quite correct. Jim Parker did not sell Case to American Brands, he bought Case from American Brands.

Jim Parker started the Case Classics program while he owned Case, 1989-1990. For one thing, I remember that very well. The Case classics are shown and mentioned in the Jim Giles book, published in 1989. For another thing, otherwise how would he have been authorized to use the Case logos and trademarks?

Also, one of the patterns produced with the XXX stamp was the 62100 saddlehonn - one of the four Case Classics patterns that WERE produced in the Case factory in Bradford.
SJ.Knife.Guy

Post by SJ.Knife.Guy »

A friend of mine found this XXX today. That's what led me to this site.
Attachments
20181013_174505-1.jpg
20181013_174521-1.jpg
20181013_174533.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Unfortunately you've confused the Case XX trademark with their X's and dots date code system. See here for an explanation of the dating system. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ification/ Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the 2010-2019 dates explanation. The three X's you're seeing are part of the date code.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

I thought I struck gold as I just received a WH Case Whittler with the xxx and after reading and now find this thread, I am back on Earth. Good news is I paid attention and quickly knew my 2007 made Commem. HAD 3 Xs TOO :D
jtman0723

Post by jtman0723 »

Here ya go.
Attachments
received_611669692706624.jpeg
received_586036635500037.jpeg
received_458641874790934.jpeg
received_2555655808002352.jpeg
67cuda

Post by 67cuda »

Hey guys, the case XXX absolutely exists. After coming home from basic training in 83, I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I was visiting someone in Fulton Missouri, and I saw a new knife store, so decided to check it out. It’s main display was a case XXX boot knife which I ended up buying for nearly 400 bucks. A huge amount for a knife in 1983. Unfortunately, it was stolen from me later, and I’d kill the person who stole it to this day ! So yes, those unicorns exist. If I wouldn’t had been so proud of it, and showed it to so many people who doubted it’s existence, I’d still have it today. That was probably the sharpest knife I’ve ever seen in my life ! Or it remains that way in my mind to this day anyway, and I’ve collected hundreds of knife over the years.
Oh, nice to join the group.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Welcome to AAPK and sorry for the loss of your knife. Just one word of advice we don't use inappropriate words in our posts please.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK 67cuda. Thanks for confirming what most of the posts in this thread already state. Sorry you lost the knife to a crook.

What David has advised regarding the language you used in your post is correct. This site is viewed by general audiences including women and children so we the members keep it rated G (or PG at worst :lol: ). I recommend you edit your post before one of the moderators removes it entirely. You can do so by simply returning to your post, clicking on the little pencil icon in the upper right corner, and changing the wording. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

67cuda

Post by 67cuda »

Gotcha’. No real man words, just church lady talk here. Thanks for letting me know the crowds temperature here. I will refrain from utilizing actual verbiage. I have to say, I absolutely hate first amendment violations of any kind ! That being said.........
Cepp21

Post by Cepp21 »

I have a XXX case anyone want to tell me a little about it? Bought it from a case dealer some years back
Attachments
20210301_164220.jpg
20210301_164142.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Your knife is a standard production knife, less than 10 years old. The X’s you see are part of the code stamping. Case has used a by-year date code stamp scheme since 1970. You can learn how it works by clicking on “Research” in the header up at the top of this page, the scroll down to where it says W.R. Case age identification.

In your pictures I can only see part of the tang stamp so can only guess your knife was made in 2017 (as denoted by the three X’s visible in the picture. In 2010 the tang stamp was like this:
6C581F07-460F-43A4-8A37-B177071508E3.jpeg
6C581F07-460F-43A4-8A37-B177071508E3.jpeg (11.43 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
In 2011 they removed one dot. In each successive year after that they removed another dot, until all dots were gone. Then they began removing an X every year. In 2017 only 3 X’s remained. To see the year your knife was made open the blade 90 degrees (halfway open) instead of fully open like your picture. Then count the number of dots and X’s to determine the date it was made. In 2020 Case introduced a new stamp, having 10 dots arranged with 5 dots above and 5 dots below the company’s “CASE XX” trademark.

Note that the standard trademark of W.R. Case & Company is “Case XX”, which you see in the middle line of the stamp picture above. Don’t confuse the XX in the trademark with those X’s in the date code. In summary your knife is not a “Case XXX”. To understand what “Case XXX” means I recommend you go to the first post in this thread and start reading. The term “Case XXX” is in the context of the company trademark, not the date code system.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”