Display Case?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Sut Tatersaul

Display Case?

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All;
At age 88, and starting the New Year, I've decided that my knife collecting should stop. My "Meager" collection is randomly stored in several places, and several containers. I would like to consolidate this unorganized mess, and store it all, in a wood display case. What do you folks consider the best kind of case for that purpose? What kind of cases are you folks using to display your knife collections in? Your suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Display Case?

Post by Railsplitter »

This is an old picture but for most of my knives I use these hinged glass top display cases that I bought at Shepherd Hills Cutlery about 9 years ago. For knives that won't fit in these cases I use various knife pouches.

The shotgun shell shaped thing in the middle is a VCI corrosion inhibitor plug.
Attachments
Black G10 Trapper bttom middle.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

If you did not stop collecting at age 87, why stop at age 88? Seems like 95 would be a better time.

Regarding the case question, I do not have any ideas. Just how big is the collection and do you intend to put it all in one case? I do not like cases where the friction of the glass holds the knives in place. I want a case that I can open and take out a knife to fondle without having to lay the case flat to keep the other knives in place. I have a couple of golf ball and military coin cases that work pretty good in that respect, but my stuff is low end.
Mel
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Not suggesting you lay out this kind of money, but flat file/map/blueprint cabinets would be a nice option.

Buying one off Ebay is not the best way to obtain one, because they go high and shipping almost doubles the price.

These also come in enameled metal and can be found at office supply houses that resale items.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wooden ... rk:21:pf:0

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

If you have many knives issues of space and cost are significant factors. Personally, I would like to have everything under glass. And Mel's point about access to a case without having to lay it flat may or may not enter into your calculations. At this time I use a combination of cases and open displays.

Here I have put all knives of a single brand, in this case Bulldog under glass.
P1020736.JPG
In this glass case I have all knives of a single pattern tho many different brands: Canoe pattern.
P1030034.JPG
But a large number of knives are in open shelving (climate controlled) which at least has the advantage of making easy access for inspection and maintenance. So there are many possibilities depending on your preferences and possibilities.
P1020140.JPG
P1020142.JPG
P1020139.JPG
Attachments
P1020141.JPG
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

I made a desk top display.
4' X 2' x 2" high.
I put same Swimming pool fence glass ( 3/8"thick ) on top so you can still use it as a desk.The glass is a bit heavy but you can stand on it without it breaking

Grant
Attachments
P1030047.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Grant, Congratulations on a very fine and creative display. ::tu::
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Quick Steel wrote:Grant, Congratulations on a very fine and creative display. ::tu::
Thanks Quick Steel.
I made it a few years back. My son in law thought it was a good idea and made a table with a glass top to display his knives.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Grant, that's a cool display.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
espn77

Post by espn77 »

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=60005

Here is what I'm doing.
donjr

Post by donjr »

Here is my way to display. Donjr
Attachments
DSCN8549.JPG
DSCN8558.JPG
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

You can find coffee tables with a curio case top and sliding drawer, but I've no idea the costs of such.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm ... Yhu7HofEKI

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Thanks All;
Let me start all over again. Your response overwhelms me, and I have managed to make an a$$ of myself I should have been more specific about the size of my "meager" collection, and the case needed, to put it all together in one place. My "Hodge Podge" collection consists of around 250 folding knives, and 20 straight blade knives. As to why i'm going to stop collecting at 88 yrs old, arthritis, memory loss, and a new computer, that I can't learn how to operate, decided that for me. Sorry for my poorly stated question, and thanks for your generous replies to it.
Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..sut, I can't post pictures , but I have all my old Camillus knives in one of their 1930's display cases. there may be pictures of it someone posted for me on the Camillus forum............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ....................
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I got me one of these antique printer trays and modified it. If you want it enclosed, go to Lowes and get a sheet of plexiglas, cut to fit and screw it on front. Mine stays open so I can grab a knife when I want to.
printer tray.jpg
Mike
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
richard

Post by richard »

this is an old cigar humidor i use. for a display case
Attachments
032.JPG
033.JPG
029.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Love the ideas for displays in this thread. Let me ask a question of you all. Do you hide your displays when company is coming or a repairman? The reason I ask is that we have some drug addicts in the family and it’s a major concern for me to even admit that I have a knife collection, yet alone to display then where anyone but myself can see them.
I do have all my knives in displays but they can be taken down and put into a safe, which gets old moving them in and out all the time. Am I just being overly cautious or does this concern others as well?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
richard

Post by richard »

mine at home are allways on display.in unlocked case's . the ones in my shop for sale are in locked case's. and only taken out one at a time to view.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Love the ideas for displays in this thread. Let me ask a question of you all. Do you hide your displays when company is coming or a repairman? The reason I ask is that we have some drug addicts in the family and it’s a major concern for me to even admit that I have a knife collection, yet alone to display then where anyone but myself can see them.
I do have all my knives in displays but they can be taken down and put into a safe, which gets old moving them in and out all the time. Am I just being overly cautious or does this concern others as well?
SSk
I keep my display cases inside Rubbermaid Roughneck totes with a lid on top. Then I keep those totes in a dark closet where company never sees them unless I get them out to show off, which I usually don't.

I do that primarily because I use a Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) product. The VCI product emits a vapor that blocks the chemical reaction that causes corrosion. It won't work very well if it's not in an enclosed container.

Honestly though, I would probably use the totes anyway. I think I've only had to dust off my display cases once in the 9 years that I've been using them.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Love the ideas for displays in this thread. Let me ask a question of you all. Do you hide your displays when company is coming or a repairman? The reason I ask is that we have some drug addicts in the family and it’s a major concern for me to even admit that I have a knife collection, yet alone to display then where anyone but myself can see them.
SSk
I keep my display cases inside Rubbermaid Roughneck totes with a lid on top. Then I keep those totes in a dark closet where company never sees them unless I get them out to show off, which I usually don't.

I do that primarily because I use a Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) product. The VCI product emits a vapor that blocks the chemical reaction that causes corrosion. It won't work very well if it's not in an enclosed container.

Honestly though, I would probably use the totes anyway. I think I've only had to dust off my display cases once in the 9 years that I've been using them.
Rick, Interesting. I could do that. Never thought about doing that. Would make more sense to keep them like that than the way I am doing it now. I have the display cases out where they can be seen by anyone that comes in. It’s time to start thinking differently now that my collection is this big and costly. Thanks,
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

SSk
I have my favorite forty or so knives out on display in my over the garage man room. I only put them in a safe if I am going on a vacation. If I had criminal type relatives over I would put them away, but fortunately that is not an issue for me. In years gone by I have worked with a couple of fellows whom I never invited into my house because I felt that they would come back to steal if they saw what I had.

When I went on vacation back in September I put my good knives in a roll in my safe. But then I though that if any burglars visited while I was gone I would hate to disappoint them with empty displays, so I loaded it up with Chinese knives. Then I had to take a photo both ways. Top photo is US and German knives, bottom photo is Chinese knives.
Attachments
USA and German knives
USA and German knives
Chinese knives
Chinese knives
Mel
richard

Post by richard »

good idea mel . then they wont going looking for the missing. knives from the display.
i do the same thing with wallets. carry 2 .one with a few dollars in, and a couple of out of date credit cards.
if i held up .with give me your wallet. thats what they get. from my back pocket. not the main one. :D
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Dinadan wrote:
SSk
I have my favorite forty or so knives out on display in my over the garage man room. I only put them in a safe if I am going on a vacation. If I had criminal type relatives over I would put them away, but fortunately that is not an issue for me. In years gone by I have worked with a couple of fellows whom I never invited into my house because I felt that they would come back to steal if they saw what I had.

When I went on vacation back in September I put my good knives in a roll in my safe. But then I though that if any burglars visited while I was gone I would hate to disappoint them with empty displays, so I loaded it up with Chinese knives. Then I had to take a photo both ways. Top photo is US and German knives, bottom photo is Chinese knives.
Thanks Mel, that’s a good idea too. I wish I didn’t have to let the addicts in the house but it’s the only way to keep my wife happy. She doesn’t want to exclude members of her family. I understand, but it’s a lot of trouble. I like the idea of a decoy display. Your decoy knife display is pretty impressive.
I do that two wallet thing when traveling also.
I guess I could update my home owners insurance to include all the knives that I have. It wouldn’t be so bad to have them stolen if I got paid what they were worth. But there are some knives I just don’t want to part w/. And I buy sell and trade so much it’s hard to keep an insurance policy up to date.
Good ideas from all. Thanks,
SSk
richard

Post by richard »

its a sad world with live in now, we got to be 1 step ahead.i suppose it was the same for the early settlers. maybe worse?
i am just happy my family are healthy. there is food on the table.and i have a decent knife in my pocket. :D
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Mark suspect family members are a real problem. I like to display my knives for my own enjoyment but I keep them all in one room that can be locked and closed off from visitors. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”