Medical Dental Barber Veterinarian scapel Lobster pattern device??

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Medical Dental Barber Veterinarian scapel Lobster pattern device??

Post by Mossdancer »

Acquired this cutter many years ago. While vending knives at a Flea Market yesterday I ran across it again in a box of small folders. The sliding type rivet is a blade on both ends and can be used from both sides. There are no springs liners or other knifely type items. It is totally manual. If you have answers! Do you think the Tortoise Shell handle could be authentic?? What type of scapel blades are these?? Did any of the title subjects carry such an item in their pocket?? What approx. century/decade was it made?? Is it a prolific item or is it rare?? Should you have any ancillary info regarding it I would like to hear it. Thanks to all.
moss
More photos can be made available if necessary.
Attachments
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0006.JPG
PICT0007.JPG
PICT0009.JPG
PICT0010.JPG
PICT0012.JPG
PICT0017.JPG
PICT0018.JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
knife7knut

Re: Medical Dental Barber Veterinarian scapel Lobster pattern device??

Post by knife7knut »

Nice one! The handles probably are tortoise shell.Easy enough to check:rub them briskly with a dry cloth and then smell them.If they have an odor they are celluloid(which I doubt).Usually you can see layering similar to ivory or wood graining under a loupe.I have one that has identical handles but a different secondary blade made by Codman & Shurtleff in Boston. They date to around 1860-1870. After that they started using ones that could be sterilized in an autoclave. If you tried that with the shell handles it would destroy them. I believe one of the blades is called a bistoury.(Dale would know).I also have a single blade model(non-locking)that has the curved blade.Likely part of a medical doctor's kit.
Attachments
Codman&ShurtleffFoldingScalpel 001.jpg
UnmarkedFoldingBistoury.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Moss I have one similar to yours made by Sharf & Smith In Levine's Book it list a Sharpe & Smith from Chicago IL that made Surgical Instruments not sure if mine is the same so maybe we can both find out about our Finds . Hope you don't mind
Gary
Attachments
Sharpe& Smith 001.JPG
Sharpe& Smith 007.JPG
Sharpe& Smith 004.JPG
Sharpe& Smith 005.JPG
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

I find loads of these medical knives in th eUK in all sorts of interesting and unusual pattens and many are in tortoise shell.
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”