Henckels Knife with Swastika

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
brushy98

Re: Henckels Knife with Swastika

Post by brushy98 »

Sorry for the late reply. I obtained this knife in 1978 & it was old then so I don't think it is a replica.
KJ you were right in saying that it was the records from Henckles that were destroyed in the war. As soon as I find the letter from them I will scan & post it here.For now here are a couple of better pictures. The markings are L.K.K.V at top with the "bird" & then underneath that is the swastika. Thanks for all the reply's
Attachments
knife 2019.jpg
knife ii 2019.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Someone who knows German history of 1930's might know what "L.K.K.V." stands for. This will not prove fake or not, but is interesting.
kj
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Very interesting discussion!
Freedom Ain't FREE....
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Very interesting discussion"
Yes, however the basic question: is this an authentic Third Reich knife ? is still unresolved.
kj
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

I put the pictures in a Bulgarian forum of militaria collectors.
People are very competent. I will post their opinions here.
me262

It translates something like Airspace 5 - http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... do/LK5.htm - but for me the knife / or rather the decoration / is fake.
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Good show Eustace, thanks for the research.
Freedom Ain't FREE....
brushy98

Post by brushy98 »

Thanks Eustace for taking the time to research this. As I've said before I've owned this knife for 40 years and it was old looking when I got it.I'm no collector or anything,just saw this knife when I was a kid at a flea market & bought it for $2.It has been in a drawer ever since.The condition it is in now is the condition it was in when I got it. I bought it because it looked old & was shiny & just looked cool to a 14 year old kid.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

brushy98 wrote:Thanks Eustace for taking the time to research this. As I've said before I've owned this knife for 40 years and it was old looking when I got it.I'm no collector or anything,just saw this knife when I was a kid at a flea market & bought it for $2.It has been in a drawer ever since.The condition it is in now is the condition it was in when I got it. I bought it because it looked old & was shiny & just looked cool to a 14 year old kid.
First of all, I want to apologize for a bit more sharp words at the beginning of the discussion. But the situation reminded me a bit of fishing - someone throws the bait, sits quietly on the shore, and waiting for carps.
Anyway, I still think the knife is fake.
A little more information about Luftkreis-Kommando V:
https://www.ww2.dk/air/hq/lkk5.htm
It is clear from the link that this military formation has been called this for only about three months - 12.10.37 - 04.02.1938.
An interesting opinion from the Bulgarian forum of a person with encyclopedic knowledge of the German militariа of the Second World War:

"This is not Luftwaffe eagle, not even DLV eagle.
Since the abbreviation is an aviation affiliation, there is no logical sense to put a Wehrmacht eagle.
Obviously, someone is unaware of the eagles in the German army."
brushy98

Post by brushy98 »

No hard feelings. Thanks for the reply,interesting indeed.I still feel the knife is older than the 1970's though :lol: I will keep researching,this weekend I'll try to find the letter from Henckles & post it on here.
alabama

Post by alabama »

fantasy knife sounds better- looks like a fake to me...there was a kid on ebay had one of those 5 dollar Chinese Nazi whittlers with 11 THOUSAND DOLLARS on it...said it looked almost new....I sent him a message...showed him where he could get one for a little over 3 dollars...NOT LIKE MINE..he said...HITLER AUTOGRAPHED MINE....it was his first ebay try....I watched for a month or so...sent him a message and told him to take it to a pawn shop and try to get 10 dollars for it....no listing after that...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

As the eagle is not correct for German Military then it is a fake/fantasy knife.
Thanks to Eustace and the Bulgarian collector.
kj
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

alabama wrote:fantasy knife sounds better- looks like a fake to me...there was a kid on ebay had one of those 5 dollar Chinese Nazi whittlers with 11 THOUSAND DOLLARS on it...said it looked almost new....I sent him a message...showed him where he could get one for a little over 3 dollars...NOT LIKE MINE..he said...HITLER AUTOGRAPHED MINE....it was his first ebay try....I watched for a month or so...sent him a message and told him to take it to a pawn shop and try to get 10 dollars for it....no listing after that...
Interesting thread. Amazing what people do to scam money.

Hey Alabama,

Did the knife look like knife in my reply to this thread? I did some research and found it to be a tourist trinket.
Killed it with a 12 gauge. My Dad obtained it somehow years ago. Not sure where but have a feeling you are referring to the same exact knife.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41861&hilit=12+gauge

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
alabama

Post by alabama »

zp4ja-that is the exact knife...I like the way you fixed it....I am going to try that,i have some old wood handle Pakistan knifes that wont sell- and some #4 turkey loads...I stomped the last counterfeit I had in the ground at the local flea market.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”