Handle changes?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Dollie

Handle changes?

Post by Dollie »

Here is another true newbie question. If you have an older knife that is deteriorating because of celluloid handles, are you ruining the value and credibility of the knife when you change them? I suppose you could argue that it has no value under those circumstances, but if it did, how does changing the handles out affect them (other than the obvious)? To me, older knives that can be salvaged with new handles is a good thing. I love the older knives (1920’s - 1960’s) and ones where the blades are still in good shape are few and far between, but when you find one, the handles are either celluloid or broken, etc. I would hope you would bring back the value by fixing them, but not sure. Does repairing the knife like that just make it a carrier instead of a collectors item?
cody6268

Re: Handle changes?

Post by cody6268 »

In my opinion, it's preservation by changing the scales out. Better changing them than having a knife without, or one totally destroyed by deteriorating celluloid. Even worse if it damages other knives. Granddad had one Boker from the '70s gas out, destroying the knife, and causing about an hour's worth of work cleaning the 5-6 knives in close proximity to it that got heavy tarnish and rust.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”