Was it a good deal or not?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Was it a good deal or not?

Post by dlr110 »

I don't often buy knives with company logos that were given to employees for employee of the month or commemorative knives. However this is one I found on one of my Texas Trails of Antique Stores and for $39.95 with my military discount I just couldn't pass it up.
Trapper #62549S Smooth Chestnut Bone Handle. SS blades and bolsters. Brase liners. Commemorative #095 "John Wayne, The Duke" on one blade and "An American Hero" on the other blade. Never carried or sharpened, absolutely beautiful. Year 1999.
IMG_20181223_140154.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Steve Warden

Re: Was it a good deal or not?

Post by Steve Warden »

Sweet score!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I also don't get too excited about "factory made collectables" but what's not to like about the Duke! and a heck of a good price, I think you did just fine. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

dlr, that is a sweet knife and sweeter for the price. ::nod:: ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As you said, how could you pass it up.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Not to hijack your topic, but I always wondered - when knives are displayed in a case with blades partly open, for years and years, does this weaken the backsprings? The few like this I have - I close the blades when I put them away.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

tallguy606 wrote:Not to hijack your topic, but I always wondered - when knives are displayed in a case with blades partly open, for years and years, does this weaken the backsprings?
No. I’ve removed a LOT of knives from displays, some that have had the blades open for decades, and have yet to find one with weakened back springs.

Back on topic. Nice find. I don’t collect commemoratives either but I have a couple that appealed to me.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I agree with Ken, tension on springs does not weaken them. There are tons of military guns that have been cocked since WWII and still have spring tension. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Agree with some previous comments regarding not real crazy with commemorative editions
but this one is a real beauty.

Carry it with care!

Bob
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

rea1eye wrote:Agree with some previous comments regarding not real crazy with commemorative editions
but this one is a real beauty.

Carry it with care!

Bob
Thank you. I won't be carrying this one, it will remain on display.

deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Heck yeah!! It is the Duke.
Freedom Ain't FREE....
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Any time you buy something that makes you happy, its a good deal!
Nice knife!
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Jeffinn wrote:Any time you buy something that makes you happy, its a good deal!
Nice knife!
Thank You!! :D That is what I have basicly said in my book, "I believe the purpose of collecting anything is because it is something you like and it brings joy to your life."

Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
tallguy606 wrote:Not to hijack your topic, but I always wondered - when knives are displayed in a case with blades partly open, for years and years, does this weaken the backsprings?
No. I’ve removed a LOT of knives from displays, some that have had the blades open for decades, and have yet to find one with weakened back springs.

Back on topic. Nice find. I don’t collect commemoratives either but I have a couple that appealed to me.

Ken
Not to sidetrack but I must mention that while collecting early case Pocket Worn knives I purchased 3 that were in the original tins with all blades open. Out of the three 1 had weak but acceptable snap, 1 had very weak snap and the last one has practically no snap whatsoever. The one with no snap I leave in the open position in the display as it cant hurt it any further. Two of the knives were 1986 and one was 1987. I no longer buy knives that have been in the open position without trying them out first.
Trace
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Rotten wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:

Ken
Not to sidetrack but I must mention that while collecting early case Pocket Worn knives I purchased 3 that were in the original tins with all blades open. Out of the three 1 had weak but acceptable snap, 1 had very weak snap and the last one has practically no snap whatsoever. The one with no snap I leave in the open position in the display as it cant hurt it any further. Two of the knives were 1986 and one was 1987. I no longer buy knives that have been in the open position without trying them out first.
I suspect your knives having weak snap is more a function of when they were made than them having been in the open position. Those were not particularly good years for Case IMHO. They were struggling financially, had employee morale problems, and it manifested in the product. You can get good knives made by them during that timeframe but it’s hit and miss in my experience.

Fortunately Zippo purchased Case, and turned it around. But I’m an advocate of “trying them out first” myself, regardless how they’ve been packaged, or who made them. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”