Cold Steel Carbon V

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Cold Steel Carbon V

Post by kootenay joe »

I recall about 10 or so years ago there was excitement about the traditional style folders brought out by Cold Steel with "Carbon V" steel blades.
Here is a 3 7/8" 'Bird Hook" knife, marked "Cold Steel" on front tang and "Carbon V/Made In USA".
There is an "R" in a circle right after the "V", i.e. "Carbon V" is a registered trade mark.
A few questions:
Made by Queen ?
What is "Carbon V" steel ?
Was there any actual reason to get excited about these knives ?
thanks for the help, kj
Attachments
IMGP6371.JPG
IMGP6372.JPG
IMGP6373.JPG
cody6268

Re: Cold Steel Carbon V

Post by cody6268 »

Good question. I think all of these were actually Camillus-built, and "Carbon-V is just plain ole' 1095. They still seem to sell for a huge premium over the Camillus versions. Camillus did have an identical pattern in the Wildlife series.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I'm trying to remember what Tom Williams told me how about Carbon V, as I recall what Tom said there was a little something added to the steel, just enough to say that it wasn't plain 1095. For all practical purposes as he explained it the steel was identical to 1095. The whole purpose of whatever was added was to allow Cold Steel to make claims for Carbon V steel.

That is as near as I can remember what Tom told me.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Gents. So, Camillus and successful marketing of "Carbon V".
Are there "Carbon V" collectors ? I don't actually need this knife. I have another Bird Hook knife at my hunting cabin.
kj
richard bissell

Post by richard bissell »

I have a bunch of the Cold Steel knives made with their "Carbon V" steel.One of them, a Master Hunter, took apart a 4 year old moose in good shape and could still shave forearm hair afterwards.// I saw where there is still a demand out here for the "Carbon V" steel knives even though Cold Steel says that they don't use it any more.// It is high carbon steel and will rust if you don't look after it!//You are welcome!
'

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”