Imperial Fish Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
just bob

Imperial Fish Knife

Post by just bob »

Anyone know what the little symbol or emblem is on the back of an Imperial fish knife? Only a few knives have these from what I see. Most of these knives do not?
Attachments
fish.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
kootenay joe

Re: Imperial Fish Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

No and it is the first one i have seen.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have one with that on it and I have always been curious as to it's meaning. It looks like a backwards comma.
Attachments
5ShellFishKnives2.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have seen it several times, no doubt I have one or two that have that marking on them.
I haven't a clue what it means! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Dale, don't think I've ever seen one like that, interesting, I have a couple one being made in Ireland but don't think it is any different. ::shrug:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Robo

Post by Robo »

just bob wrote:Anyone know what the little symbol or emblem is on the back of an Imperial fish knife?
Dale, I made a mad dash to my little pile of Imperial Fish knives to see if I had the mark on one of mine. No such luck! But I just tore through Pic-clic and found one in a lot of fish knives somebody's auctioning and another on one being auctioned separately. Being a toothpick/tickler pattern nut makes your inquiry all the more interesting to me. Just staring at the little symbol (?) pile-side shield (?) tool (?) hasn't produced any answers. It does look an aweful lot like the litte bubble that comes out of a cartoon character's mouth with the words they are speaking inside of it. I'm guessing that's not what it is... But I shall not rest until I find some kinda answer! Thanks for sharing this!

--Robo
Robo

Post by Robo »

just bob wrote:Anyone know what the little symbol or emblem is on the back of an Imperial fish knife? Only a few knives have these from what I see. Most of these knives do not?
Okay, I have a hunch I know what it is: I went through a whole page of Imperial Fish Knives on Pic Clic. I found the symbol on a fairly low percentage of both the 4 1/4 med knife and the 5 inch version. They were only on back of the one's with the fish symbol on front. But I also found something else they had in common: a number of them had "National Chemsearch Co." etched on the mark side of the clip blade. And the ones that had that etch still remaining also had the symbol on the mark side. My conclusion: The Pile side symbol is a symbol of what is known as a Retort distilling Flask (see pic). This was or is probably Chemsearch's trade mark. and it went on back because the fish would of kicked it's flask a$$ if it tried to take the front seat. Of course most of the ones with the flask symbol are too beat up to locate the Chemsearch etch, so I can't prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt. But That's my theory and I'll stand by it til somebody knocks this house of cards down. (You have to enlarge the photos to see the Chemsearch etch)

--Robo
Attachments
Retort-Distilling-Flask-IM-005-.jpg
s-l1600-26.jpg
s-l1600-25.jpg
s-l1600-36.jpg
s-l1600-37.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 11.51.36 PM.png
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I think you're on to something, Robo ::tu::
Chem.png
Chem.png (29.05 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
just bob

Post by just bob »

Robo wrote:
just bob wrote:Anyone know what the little symbol or emblem is on the back of an Imperial fish knife? Only a few knives have these from what I see. Most of these knives do not?
Okay, I have a hunch I know what it is: I went through a whole page of Imperial Fish Knives on Pic Clic. I found the symbol on a fairly low percentage of both the 4 1/4 med knife and the 5 inch version. They were only on back of the one's with the fish symbol on front. But I also found something else they had in common: a number of them had "National Chemsearch Co." etched on the mark side of the clip blade. And the ones that had that etch still remaining also had the symbol on the mark side. My conclusion: The Pile side symbol is a symbol of what is known as a Retort distilling Flask (see pic). This was or is probably Chemsearch's trade mark. and it went on back because the fish would of kicked it's flask a$$ if it tried to take the front seat. Of course most of the ones with the flask symbol are too beat up to locate the Chemsearch etch, so I can't prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt. But That's my theory and I'll stand by it til somebody knocks this house of cards down. (You have to enlarge the photos to see the Chemsearch etch)

--Robo
Thank you for taking the time to do the research and post that. I would never have guessed that. It does make sense after reading your information. Here was the original knife I asked about and it does have Chemsearch on it. Looks like that company is still in business today.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... ber_id=348
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Awesome job Robo! Outstanding research!!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Another mystery solved! Thank you so much for taking the time to research it! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Amazing to find an answer! :shock: :shock: ::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very interesting, great research, Robo! I have had one of those for years and wondered about that little mark. I just checked mine, it is used and there is no trace of an etch.
Dan
Robo

Post by Robo »

Man, I wish I checked in sooner, would have been a better morning-- Thanks fellas! My pleasure, and I couldn't have done it without Pic-Clic and Worthpoint, a collectors best friend. There is/was a disinfectant company in Michigan, I believe, that contracted Western States for advertising. I've seen at least three of their Toothpicks with the company name on the mark side, one was a parts knife sold as a Winchester, I need to put up on the counterfeit forum. Dixie Metal Works also comes to mind. I owned an all metal Cattaraugus toothpick with the Dixi Metal Works logo and just saw one sold on the Bay. So it may seem odd to think that so many were made that you actually have repeat survivors show up at auction but I guess it happens. ---Robo

PS: Doc, I couldn't get past a thousand phony advertisers pretendending to be Corporate research sites when I tried to find ChemSearch's Trade Mark--good work! Please share how you managed to do it.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Robo wrote:
PS: Doc, I couldn't get past a thousand phony advertisers pretendending to be Corporate research sites when I tried to find ChemSearch's Trade Mark--good work! Please share how you managed to do it.
I just searched Chemsearch, in Google; then, clicked on images...and started looking for something that looked like your flask. Didn't take long. Altough I don't own a knife, like that...It's one of those things...that once the question is asked...you just gotta know! Thanks to your breakthrough...I think it's been solved. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Robo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:41 am

--Robo
Robo and any toothpick/fish knife collectors - I thought you may like to see this knife which is just like Robo's and also seen in a few other members group photos - the knife with the "National Chemsearch Corp" stamp and the flask shield on the pile side.. I got lucky finding this one - basically unused though no doubt handled and never sharpened - inside and outside essentially NOS - and in the original box ::hmm:: :) ... Other than the speck of tarnish/stain on the fish shield it is remarkably clean with a factory edge.. It's amazing to me how many were made for this National Chemsearch Corp if they are fairly common - must have been alot of employees and many were given out I would assume for advertising and such :shock: ..

Bit of a story finding this one: So I'm working at the antique shop yesterday (and I'll start by saying in 1 year working there a day or 2 a week I have yet to find a knife of my liking :lol: - but today was different ::woot:: - sitting behind the counter waiting to be tagged for sale and sitting on the inner shelf was this small box that piqued my attention ::hmm::

Box - DSCN2987.jpeg

I figured it needed immediate investigation :lol: and sure enough inside the box was this Imperial toothpick - cool old Imperial box with the "CROWN' logo stamped on the cover.. at this point the knife in box no longer needed to be tagged for sale as it was coming home with me :) ...

Knife in Box DSCN2968.jpeg

Here's the knife photos -
Mark Side - DSCN2878.jpeg
Pile Side - DSCN2884.jpeg
Blades Open DSCN2895.jpeg
Tang Stamp DSCN2935.jpeg

Post by kootenay joe »

Lee, What a Great find. Not certain but i think the box is from 1950's.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Roland ::handshake:: ... First Imperial box I have seen and certainly looks 50-60s... the box was no doubt just as good as the knife, maybe better :lol: ... I wonder how many years they made the etched blade with flask shield given there seems to be a fair amount ::hmm:: ...

Post by FRJ »

Nice catch, Lee. ::tu:: ::nod::
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Joe ::handshake:: ..

Post by Robo »

LongBlade wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:14 am Thanks Joe ::handshake:: ..
Great story, great find! Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”