Dad's Saynor knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
MartinBeeson

Dad's Saynor knife

Post by MartinBeeson »

Hi All

I have had a small knife collection since being a boy but I just joined this forum to ask a question.

I have a Saynor horticultulre pruning knife. I read some of the history on it which was very interesting but I am interested to know if anyone can date it for me. It was my dads who passed away at 75 and it was one of his prized possessions. I believe he bought it at 16 with his first pay packet from working at a rose nursery. It has seen better days as was used in the garden up until the day he died. It's every special to me but I can't work out if he bought it new or second hand or if it was given to him?

Many thanks for any knowledge you can share (images attached).

Also it is very hard to sharpen a curved blade. Any tips?
Martin
Attachments
IMG_4736.jpg
IMG_4737.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Dad's Saynor knife

Post by orvet »

::welcome:: to AAPK!!! ::tu::

Beautiful old knife with gorgeous stag and it's even more special because it belonged to your father!
Grand old knife! ::ds::

Sharpening a curved blade is not nearly as difficult if you use a round sharpening rod. You can use ceramic rods, diamond rods or rods with different types of abrasives attached to them. Schrade actually made a good sharpening stick that I believe had a carbide grit attached to the rod.
A round sharpening rod will reach the full length of the blade as you draw it down the cutting edge. It's almost impossible to do that with a flat stone.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Martin, can't help you with the age but can say happy for you to have such a fine old knife made better by your Fathers use of it. That Sir is a treasure. ::nod:: ::handshake::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My guess is it dates to 1930's at the latest (most recent) and possibly as early as first decade of 1900's. The type of stag used for the handle is good clue as to approximate age.
Someone who collects vintage stag Sheffield folding knives might be better able to accurately date it.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Welcome ::handshake:: - since it was your father’s knife it is indeed special - it seems he used it quite often from your description and he no doubt took good care of it ::tu::

I agree with KJ on range of possible age of knife - though I believe it could be even 1940-50s and as said no earlier than earlier 1900s, and as KJ suggests the stag is the clue and England on stamp no doubt makes it post 1890.... knives are extremely hard to date other than a range because the companies marked or stamped them very similar for years - sometimes an aspect of the knife gives other clues that narrow the range - in this case the stag..
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Great looking pruner Martin! That stag is fabulous and I think your dad did a pretty decent job on sharpening the curved blade. The shape still looks really good. As far as age I agree with Roland and Lee. 1920's or early 30's judging from the stag and the hammered pins. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Hello Martin, welcome to AAPK ::tu::. When you have time please show some of your other knives.

I posted my Saynor listed below on April 20, 2018.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19895&p=642180&hil ... or#p642180

From your two pictures, it appears that your Fathers Saynor has a "Integrated Rattail Bolster"
An Integrated Bolster is one continuous piece of metal from the Lead Bolster (Front) to the Butt (End) with no separation.
Integral iron bolsters and liners on knives manufactured in Sheffield England can go back before circa 1860.

Your Knife, showing the brand "Saynor Sheffield England" could date from c1840-1868. (Per: Bernard Levine)
However; my knife (Described in the above posted link) has the brand of: "Saynor Cooke & Ridal / Obtain Warranted" which is dated: c1868-Forward.

Therefore, your knife could have even been owned from you Grandfather or beyond.
Regardless, you are fortunate to have this wonderful family knife. Thanks for sharing.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sorry, I don't have any info to share, but your knife is a real looker. And even better being handed down!

Welcome to AAPK!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
MartinBeeson

Post by MartinBeeson »

Hi All

Thanks for all the input and compliments. I know the dates suggested range a lot but anything is possible. Dad was born in 1942 so if he bought it new on his 16th it would have been 1958. It is likely it belonged to Grandad or Great Grandad as my dad apparently spend a lot of time with His Grandad in an allotment in Boston.

It is now with me in Brisbane Australia. Mum just came for a visit and brought it in her checked in luggage as a surprise. My heart skipped a bit as customs and border security would have destroyed it if they found it.

When dad passed in 2017 I got an overwhelming urge to find the knife. As I said, he treasured it (possible meaning his Grandad gave it to him as a present). I was a bit upset as I searched his shed and the house in all the usual spots but no joy. Then a couple of months ago mum found it in in his gardening jacket.

I really appreciate all this input, it's really special to me. I will continue to use it so the sharpening tips are great. My one year old will eventually inherit it I am sure...

I will post some pics of my other knives as requested. They are not so interesting but as a boy I loved them all.

Martin
MartinBeeson

Post by MartinBeeson »

As promised a couple of pics of some other knives. No idea where the rest are as I must have 50... probably in gardening jackets and tools boxes all over the place...

The Great Yarmouth knife was another family holiday purchase with pocket money and it think it says "Richlands Sheffield England" on it.

The made in Pakistan murder weapons were probably bought on holiday in Bridlington much to my mothers disgust.

The cut throat was Grandads and I rescued it from the shed where he used it to cut fishing line as it was too chipped to shave with anymore.

The Spanish one is only a few years old bought in a Spanish walled city south of Madrid (Toledo?). My Spanish friend laughed at it's "hand made" claims for the tourists but I liked it :D the blade locks and it feels great quality. Their website does say hand-crafted since 1987.
Attachments
IMG_4761.jpg
IMG_4762.jpg
IMG_4763.jpg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thanks for sharing Martin.
We are very fortunate that our Mothers and significant others still search our pockets. The look on your face was most likely priceless when your Mum handed you your Father's Saynor. Congratulations.
Nice collection you have there.

Your "Richlands Sheffield England" picture handle knife of "Great Yarmouth" in Norfork England-
IMG_4762.jpg
Photo-1.png
is actually made by: "Richards" 1934-1982. The Street lamp & tent logo (pics) on the knife tang appears to be an "l" where the H and A is written (Rich ards)

Below is a recent link of just some of the neat "Richards" knives posted here within AAPK.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59215&hilit=richards
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
MartinBeeson

Post by MartinBeeson »

Thanks for that, I would have bought that Great Yarmouth knife in the early 80's in Great Yarmouth. Richards it is. Sneaky looking logo confused me.

Very interesting.

Now I am really wondering where the rest of my collection is...

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”