Schrade switchblade celluloid - repair, remold, or replace with a different material

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade switchblade celluloid - repair, remold, or replace with a different material

Post by glennbad »

Wow, nice rebuild!
Landersknives

Re: Schrade switchblade celluloid - repair, remold, or replace with a different material

Post by Landersknives »

Very nice! Awesome job! Your spring solution is great. Standing ovation. Beautiful job on the bone. What more could I say....wow.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:00 am Great job, and some ingenious work to create a new spring. ::tu::

Now, where is the picture of the chicken house? ::sotb::

Ken
This is what has been done so far. It still needs a few more things.
Attachments
A00C0D45-5EDC-4142-A16B-E11D87266978.jpeg
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
TPK

Post by TPK »

Wow! Knives, paintings, chicken coops. You have many talents Sir! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

TPK wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:54 pm Wow! Knives, paintings, chicken coops. You have many talents Sir! ::tu:: :D
That is kind of you to say TPK; I thank God for what He has given and what He has withheld in my life!
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
TPK

Post by TPK »

BFORSE wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:28 pm
TPK wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:54 pm Wow! Knives, paintings, chicken coops. You have many talents Sir! ::tu:: :D
That is kind of you to say TPK; I thank God for what He has given and what He has withheld in my life!
Sounds like a very mature way of looking at things. ::tu:: I'll get there some day. ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

Amazing job! I have wanted to start taking apart and fixing knives, but I thought I didn't have enough tools. You have proved to me that it doesn't take many tools, just determination.

Great idea on the spring replacement!

I do have one question, how did you get the jig marks in the bone?
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Ropeman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:48 pm Amazing job! I have wanted to start taking apart and fixing knives, but I thought I didn't have enough tools. You have proved to me that it doesn't take many tools, just determination.

Great idea on the spring replacement!
Thanks Ropeman, some things that have helped me is:

Starting with something inexpensive and common

Taking my time; using hand tools sometime to slow me down

Having a plan “B” in case things don’t go so well

And keeping in mind that in the end, knives and such are cool, but they are just things, and I shouldn’t fret over them.

There were a few tools and supplies I left out of the list most of which you can find just about anywhere like, a small set of little files, sandpaper of various grit, and small “c” clamps.

The things that I had to special order was:

Culpepper & Co. smooth bone mahogany 3 1/2 x 1 x 1/8

1/16” Diameter nickel silver rods
St. John Chapter 1
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

I do have one question, how did you get the jig marks in the bone?- Ropeman

Ok so my old dremel set had one of these guys I think. It is like a grey powdery stone wheel
7A18357D-41A7-471D-8B55-6D823FE1CE1E.png
So I put it on the the dremel and went outside and found some relatively smooth concrete block (the one on the ground in front of the chicken coop). Turned the dremel to 10 and held the wheel at a very acute angle against the concrete block. Then I flipped the wheel over and did it to the other side till I was satisfied with the sharpness of the new edge. It took a long time. Whatever that stuff is made out of is tough.
St. John Chapter 1
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

I then just studied some pictures of that type of jigging, and the general angle it was laying. Then I tested my method on the scrap piece of bone until I got the feel of how much pressure and time I wanted to spend for each cut. Then when I felt confident enough:
Attachments
B6EFED16-3D66-4F05-8132-D80B9B2FBF60.jpeg
St. John Chapter 1
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

BFORSE wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:20 pm I then just studied some pictures of that type of jigging, and the general angle it was laying. Then I tested my method on the scrap piece of bone until I got the feel of how much pressure and time I wanted to spend for each cut. Then when I felt confident enough:
The jigging turned out amazing.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

edge213 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:01 pm
BFORSE wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:20 pm I then just studied some pictures of that type of jigging, and the general angle it was laying. Then I tested my method on the scrap piece of bone until I got the feel of how much pressure and time I wanted to spend for each cut. Then when I felt confident enough:
The jigging turned out amazing.
Totally agree 👍.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Yes, that looks awesome. ::groove::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

That's some fine work, you sir are a fine artist, even the chicken coop has that special vibe. ::tu:: to the tenth power. ::handshake::
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

bighomer wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:24 pm That's some fine work, you sir are a fine artist, even the chicken coop has that special vibe. ::tu:: to the tenth power. ::handshake::
Thank you, it was a long journey on that repair. I just hope that it helps others who are trying to do the same thing.
St. John Chapter 1

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”