2nd cut?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
OSCAR

2nd cut?

Post by OSCAR »

I’ve heard this description of both bone and stag handles. What does 2nd cut refer to? Thanks.... Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
kootenay joe

Re: 2nd cut?

Post by kootenay joe »

With stag the first cut inckudes the outside surface which has the texture that makes stag handles desirable. The second cut is taking antler material from deeper down towards the center of the antler piece. It will have very little or even no antler texture.
This is my understanding. I hope others post to either confirm or correct this.
kj
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

K. Joe correctly described 2nd cut stag and I suspect multiple slices are also taken off bone with the inner slices also going to less expensive knives but Case does jigging and dying of bone that they call Second Cut. Case's Second Cut bone does not refer to where the bone came from. It is their name for bone jigged and dyed to look like second cut stag as they jigged and dyed it after 2000.

Back in the 1980s Case jigged and dyed second cut stag differently. For reasons unknown to me Case 1980s second cut stag often sells at auction for more than first cut stag. While it does look nice the bidding makes no sense. It is as illogical as the premium Case's red stag predictably fetches. It is regular stag dyed red, not stag from a European deer species. Bought direct from Case, regardless of color, dyed stag is their least expensive first cut stag.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

If that’s the definition, seems to me that the inner part of bone has more pithiness and won’t be as strong. Looks are good but function is more important.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”