Handle Material Vintage Frosts Puukko

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Handle Material Vintage Frosts Puukko

Post by kootenay joe »

This is a 7" Frosts laminated steel, made in Sweden puukko. The sheath is not original. Very nice knife and in excellent condition. The handle is a hard cream colored checkered material with a seam top and bottom, i.e. handle is made of 2 pieces. I cannot tell if this cream colored material is solid or if it is a layer over a wood core.
I have never seen a handle like this on any other knife. Frosts made working knives. They did not make fancy collector knives as far as i know so walrus ivory seems unlikely. But what else is cream colored and gets checkered from at least 50 years ago ?
thanks, kj
Attachments
IMGP7194.JPG
IMGP7195.JPG
IMGP7196.JPG
IMGP7197.JPG
IMGP7198.JPG
IMGP7199.JPG
knife7knut

Re: Handle Material Vintage Frosts Puukko

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting knife Roland! On that picture of the bottom of the handle:is the material concaved or is it an illusion from the picture? The checkering looks to be hand done.I'm wondering if it might be a piece of walrus tusk.Nice knife by the way!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Ray. No concave areas on handle. All nicely convex.
It is a neat knife. Very sharp blade and point. Very capable knife.
kj
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

It does look like ivory of some type, but not made out of one tusk and split. The dark color is only on one scale, looks like dye or maybe burned? The checkering was done by a amateur probably after the handle was put on the knife. It is hard to follow the lines and keep them straight on a curve. If it is ivory, it would be pretty heavy, about the only way to tell for sure is to have the scales removed and I don't think that is possible without damage. As you probably know, walrus ivory has some "cracked ice" looking grain on the interior if observed by the end grain.::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”