Looking for some more info on my Joseph Rodgers

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Phil243

Looking for some more info on my Joseph Rodgers

Post by Phil243 »

20190801_190941.jpg
20190801_191016.jpg
Im having trouble finding more info on this little pen knife. Ive seen some similar knifes like
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -1916-1920
Except i cant find any other knifes marked with just "Rodgers Sheffield. The knife seems old but the marks seem newer so any info and or resources would be appreciated
knife7knut

Re: Looking for some more info on my Joseph Rodgers

Post by knife7knut »

First of all welcome to AAPK! Hope you stick around for awhile.
It is possible that it is not a Joseph Rodgers knife;it could be made by William Rodgers. I believe there were more than a couple manufacturers including(according to Goins)E.R.Rodgers;James Rodgers;Joseph Rodgers,and William Rodgers.I'm sure there were more.I don't think I have ever seen that particular mark before. Hopefully one of our UK members will chime in.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Phil243

Post by Phil243 »

Thanks for the info from what i read he had a couple sons and i just assumed that the "Rodgers" was linked to that family. But it makes sense that it could be a different rodgers and explain why i cant find the markings linked to them. If anyone needs more pics or info just let me know thanks again
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A Jos. Rodgers & Sons knife will have their trade mark logo of a star & Maltese Cross.
Knives have been made in India for a long time that get marked "Jos. Rodgers Sheffield" or some variant of this. They have nothing to do with Jos. Rodgers. They are fakes. Other countries have also been places in which knives marked to cash in on the Rodgers name have been made.
Your knife might not have a valid connection to any of the British Rodgers. If it does it is not a Jos. Rodgers knife.
Are the blades stainless steel ? I suspect it is not very old. Likely have been made after WW II.
Please note i am not an expert. I have some experience with vintage Sheffield folding knives.
kj
Phil243

Post by Phil243 »

Thanks for the post. Im not sure if it is stainless there are no markings other than the rodgers sheffield. I think it is just based on the condition and quality but im far from experienced and havent done any kind of test on it.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Most older pocket knives can be ID'd as to probable maker and country of origin. But there are knives 'out there' that have either no markings or insufficient markings to allow for ID. I think your knife is one of these. There is nothing specific about this pattern or this knife that one can use to discover it's origin. Most knife collectors have a few such knives.
kj
Phil243

Post by Phil243 »

Thanks for the post kj. im starting to think the knife may be a fake so its good to know others have mystery blades.
Phil243

Post by Phil243 »

So just some more info. The story i got when buying the knife. It's a Joseph Rodgers, Sheffield pre 1891 ( i dont know why such a specific date) 2 blade equal end pearl pen.
thefarside

Post by thefarside »

I would seriously doubt the knife is a Joseph Rodgers and the construction appears newer as well.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

1891 was when USA passed a law that all imported items had to be marked with a country of origin. Because many of the Sheffield knife manufacturers exported their knives to USA, they rapidly complied and marked "England" after "Sheffield".
Your knife has no "England" so someone thought this meant it was made before 1891. I think it is a much more recently made knife and definitely not made by Jos. Rodgers & Sons. Stainless steel was first used for knife blades in 1920's and did not really catch on until after WW II.
This brings up the maxim: "Read the knife, not what the markings happen to say". Sometimes the font or size of the markings can indicate a certain time period, but what they happen to say might not be correct.
kj
Phil243

Post by Phil243 »

Interesting information guys thank you. Im assuming from this that i have a semi modern knock off just using the Rodgers and Sheffield name?
richard

Post by richard »

hi phil. here is a link to rodgers knives, that you may find interesting.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/foru ... ment-10803
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Richard is this amazing site you link to on the history of Jos. Rodgers, your work ? It is a most impressive online 'document' !
kj
Phil243

Post by Phil243 »

The story of the man who lost his knife and couldnt get a new one because the king of england had his arms cut off for making knifes that can cut iron. Crazy rumors and the guys that worked for the company for 50+ years very interesting read although the lineage was a little difficult to follow they all had the same names.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”