Case Tested XX Q....

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knife7knut

Case Tested XX Q....

Post by knife7knut »

Should probably post this on the Case forum but figured to try it here first. A little background:
Bought a bunch of parts knives today for $5 from a good friend;mostly because I need some pieces of bone to repair a couple other knives.
Looking through them I came across three that were interesting although probably not worth saving.Among them was a Japan made tickler slot knife missing one side(the fork) and a Belknap Hardware sleeveboard jack missing the pile side handle.This one I might repair.
The last one was a bit of a puzzler to me anyway.I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to Case knives.I finally determined it is likely a 6237 1/2 but it has a couple of unusual features.First the secondary blade tang stamp is on the opposite side from the main blade stamp.The second thing is it appears to have the letter C stamped into the middle of the master blade.Looks original to me.
Any of you Caseophiles out there know anything about this? The knife is in poor shape but it cost me less than a dollar so I'm not too worried about it.My books don't show anything like that.Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
CaseTestedXX6237-12 001.jpg
CaseTestedXX6237-12 002.jpg
CaseTestedXX6237-12 003.jpg
CaseTestedXX6237-12 004.jpg
CaseTestedXX6237-12 005.jpg
CaseTestedXX6237-12 006.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
msteele6

Re: Case Tested XX Q....

Post by msteele6 »

I think that some of the earliest Case Tested knives were marked on all blades, like their predecessors. I don't think there is any problem with the tang stamp being on the same side with the nail pull on these early Tested knives. As far as the "C", no real idea, I've seen corrosion make some strange marks on knife blades though. I think you're right about the 6237.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

It wouldn't surprise me if the first owner had stamped his initial in the blade.
Bruce
Attachments
cac 6.2.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Berryb wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if the first owner had stamped his initial in the blade.
Bruce
Bruce:I suppose that is possible but it doesn't look to have been "cold stamped".Just out of curiosity what brand is the tone you pictured in your post? Is it of German origin? I have seen quite a few German made knives of the 1920's and 30's stamped with a letter on the reverse of the tang(usually an R).
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

K7K; I think it's my favorite knife. It started life as a Keen Kutter cattle knife. The 2 large blades are home made though, I think from a file. One of the best things about it is "CAC" got it apart and put back together without breaking the stag. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
cac1.1.JPG
cac4.1.JPG
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

knife7knut wrote:
msteele6 wrote:I think that some of the earliest Case Tested knives were marked on all blades, like their predecessors. I don't think there is any problem with the tang stamp being on the same side with the nail pull on these early Tested knives. As far as the "C", no real idea, I've seen corrosion make some strange marks on knife blades though. I think you're right about the 6237.
I agree with msteele that it is a 6237 1/2 and the tang stamps are normal / appropriate. The "C" on the blade was not done by the factory.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”