One Wierd Knife..HELP Id Please

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
former173rd

One Wierd Knife..HELP Id Please

Post by former173rd »

Greetings to all.....picked this up the other day..pretty much just because it's different. No idea of its history (if any), maker, use, etc. Sure would appreciate input from some you on this. I've been all over the internet without success. The snap buttons are marked "MDF" if thats any help. Sheath looks to be hand stitched and well executed. It shows signs of being carried, but not abused. Stacked leather handle (very long) doesn't show much wear. It does not appear to have been sharpened. I'm really interested in why it even exists!
Attachments
3H8kys3MTLSeOneRTLQ5AA.jpg
a76OJ6nvRuOf39JTJxwpGA.jpg
sc44+D%dTkKXU9fB0JNXfQ.jpg
N5zCAnrDTKWEY50RlwkOJg.jpg
JDToucWcSACNfoJN65d8rw.jpg
T9uxinuISMq3dcFLoRJeVA.jpg
KmcopaRCQLeoBIULG3mKig.jpg
cydAEDwRRIGD9qjhrASWqw.jpg
lzcek1UVQEWXnKdZHEWT%g.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: One Wierd Knife..HELP Id Please

Post by kootenay joe »

That is a big knife. I have never seen one like it and i do not recognize the logo. It has "Rostfrei" and "Made in Italy" so it is a production knife possibly made for a German 'business'. It obviously is meant to double as a hatchet. Certainly a unique and interesting find.
kj
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Yessir! Hope lots of folks find it as intresting ..... thanks..! ::shrug::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The inscription “Leben Im Wald” is German and translates to “living in the forest”. Rostfrei of course is German for stainless steel (rust free). I don’t recognize the other markings.

Agree the back side of the blade is meant for use as a hatchet. Reminds me a little of the “Magnum” design pioneered about 50 years ago by Knife Makers Guild founding member G.W. Stone, which is a heavy knife with the back side of its blade sharpened like a hatchet. Stones design was much more practical however IMHO.

Ken
G.W. Stone “Magnum”
G.W. Stone “Magnum”
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Sooo, this could be a forrester or maybe even a government issued piece? Just guessing. Fit and finish are pretty nice for a European, non German, knife, I think. Any ideas of other forums that may cater to this beast?
And yes, the LOGO is puzzleing.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

JDToucWcSACNfoJN65d8rw.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I doubt it is a "forester's piece" and it isn't government issue, all countries have GI marks on their knives if they are GI just like we do. I think it is just a design for marketing to sell knives, just like the Stone design. A forester knows that a combination like this is never as good a a separate hatchet and knife for actual use in the woods. Rostfrei is not solely a German term, it is used by many European countries, does not mean it was intended to market in Germany.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It's stamped "MADE IN ITALY" with German writing on it.

My guess is that it was made in Italy for sale in the German/Swiss/Austrian markets *since those 3 countries have significant German speaking populations.

The target market MAY have been American PX sales on US Army bases since the "MADE IN ITALY" stamp is English and not German or Italian.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is a pic of a kitchen knife marked,"Englishtown Crafts" with a similar raised cutting edge on the spine.
Attachments
EnglishtownCrafts1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Could the OP's knife be for dressing animals? The cleaver on the back side might be used for chopping through bone at the neck, sternum, legs, etc. Or, maybe even for skinning?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

173rd, Your right , that is one weird knife. I have made over 660 knives and most handles are 4 1/4 to 4 3/4" long, never seen a handle on a fixed blade knife with a 7 1/2" handle. Not quite long enough for a double grip and too long for a normal knife. I assume it was some ones idea of a "all round" camping knife? Looks well made however. thanks for showing it, ::handshake:: Terry AATW!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Could the OP's knife be for dressing animals?"
It would be a very clumsy awkward knife to use for field dressing. Field dressing is easiest with a drop point blade of about 4-4 1/2". There is no need to chop through bones or joints. You can cut through ligaments and take joints apart.
I think OP knife is the ninja version of a 'survive in the woods' type knife.
kj
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Just to let everyone interested, I'm talking to a guy in Germany....Keep you poste (if he gets back!)
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Nothing from FRG yet...this may just end up being filed away in the "unknown" drawer! Too bad, such an interesting piece..
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

......AND Still nothing!

Opinions please...what would be a fair asking price for this? (I won't hold anyone to it!)

Mods - if I'm outta line with this, let me know..thanks.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”