Purpose of old knives

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
blade objective

Re: Purpose of old knives

Post by blade objective »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:01 pm
blade objective wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 pm I've seen friction folder letter openers with tortoise shell blades but I could be wrong from not knowing the size of the instruments.
To test whether the tortoise shell is real heat a needle or pin with a flame and touch it to an inconspicuous area.
If it smells like skin or hair burning it's real. If it smells like plastic burning then it's synthetic.

"Ear Wax spoon" yuck..... ::barf::

DO NOT USE a hot needle to test whether it is tortoise shell or not! That is like using acid on a knife to see whether it is made of gold. Examine the blades and handles under a loupe and if it is tortoise shell you can usually see a,"layering" effect similar to a wood grain but more subtle.
From what I can see of them,there appear to be two that have ivory handles with tortoise blades and the one with the tortoise handles looks to have blades made of bone.The Haversian canals are readily visible.
I have a couple of these that are very cheaply made from Czechoslovakia but yours are NOT cheaply made.If I had to guess I would say they may have been made in England or possibly Austria.
I used to work for a museum and the hot pin is the test historians use to this day to verify natural or synthetic material.
I've done the test many times without damaging the historic piece.
Those bone canals can be and are faked all the time with restoring an antique piece and you can't tell the difference without the pin test.
It is the most effective,cheap and reliable way to tell authenticity of natural animal products used years ago.

What is a "loupe" and how do you look under it?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

loupe
[lo͞op]
NOUN
a small magnifying glass used by jewelers and watchmakers

For example:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=62145

I don't see how Haversian Canals could be faked. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:52 pm loupe
[lo͞op]
NOUN
a small magnifying glass used by jewelers and watchmakers

For example:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=62145

I don't see how Haversian Canals could be faked. ::shrug::

Ken
I too would be very interested to see how Haversian canals could be faked.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

This ear talk is interesting. I had this wax problem a few times, at least. There has been no problems in the last several years and now I am thinking it is the same period of me doing very little drywall work.
just bob

Post by just bob »

Here is one of these for sale at a reasonable price if anyone is looking for one. Isn't it eerie that the ear wax spoon and toothpick or so close together?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-2-GERM ... Swh-JdzoAW
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

If you missed the German one, try the Czech-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SMALL- ... 0012.m1985
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”